• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The charge is a product of the Boulevard Hotel not having anywhere near as many parking spaces as it has bedrooms. The only way to control the parking is to charge for it. I guess they decided consistency across the hotels was then required.

I think you will find that the charge is a product of them spending £16million on icon !!

I very much doubt that the parking charge will deter many guests from wanting to park in the hotel. Who is going to stay at a 4 star hotel but then park half a mile away and walk with bags/cases ?

I have booked direct with the new hotel for the 1st of June and parking is £5 which is paid at the hotel reception. It is in the FAQ's of the website but not mentioned on the booking form which I think it should be because people will expect free parking.

Parking is for 24 hours from 12pm to 12pm so that means anyone stopping the night and going to the pleasure beach will need to pay for 2 days parking which makes the charge even more annoying.

Last edited:
I have booked direct with the new hotel for the 1st of June and parking is £5 which is paid at the hotel reception. It is in the FAQ's of the website but not mentioned on the booking form which I think it should be because people will expect free parking.
Maybe I'm missing something. Why don't they just charge £5 more per room and provide free parking?

Happy birthday to the Big One!

Certainly my first major coaster construction I followed, seemed to be on the local news constantly during the build.

I remember visiting in 1993 with parts under construction and signs up all around the park explaining where things would be.

Tried to enter a competition at the time to name the coaster and was surprised at the name that won as it just seemed so basic. I was certainly wrong on that as it made the name so easy to remember.

And when they unveiled the ride car (not knowing about magnum xl 200 at the time) it just seemed so unsafe for what the ride was going to do. Struggle to think what I'd have thought if it was something like a b+m clamshell.

Quite sad that the park aren't doing anything to mark the occasion today. Even just selling some commemorative t shirts/badges this season would've been nice.

They were definitely making people aware of it last spring.
How? It caught me by complete surprise, and I tend to read these forums and stuff.

Once again it is not about there being a charge, it is about how they deal with their customers. As a repeat customer I've been smacked with £60 worth of charges I was not aware of, and been offered no lee-way whatsoever ('as you're a returning customer we'll do it free or half price this time, but make sure you book direct to get the lowest price next time'). If they added a token £2.50 charge and incremented it every 6 months, again - fair enough, get guests used to the idea there will be a charge to factor in.

If they are happy dropping a £10 nightly charge like this, how can I be confident that wont be doubled without notice? Or some other BS charge like a compulsory 'resort fee'. I'll be taking my custom to The Imperial, Hampton or Village in future.

Encourages people to use public transport, I guess. I doubt that's the answer but it's a posotive side effect
It's not going to encourage anyone to use public transport if they have a car!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think you will find that the charge is a product of them spending £16million on icon !!

That’s why they’re only charging for it now, at the point when Boulevard Hotel is opening imminently, rather than when ICON opened, over a year ago.

That’s why they’re only charging for it now, at the point when Boulevard Hotel is opening imminently, rather than when ICON opened, over a year ago.
But its not going to make any difference in the number of guests wanting to park. The only way it would have an effect is if they charge something like £20 per day, and I wouldn't put it passed them !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For lots of car owning people in the north west, public transport is a realistic option, two direct train routes in from many Lancashire towns, and it means everyone can have beer!
Lovely brief trip today to celebrate the big ones 25...worked out I will be 82 for Icons 25th.
Hopefully.

Loans need paying back in the next couple of years, so my guess is this is why parking charges for hotel guests have been added and also the HUGE increase in the PB's parking.

We were in Blackpool over the Sun / Mon of the Bank Holiday weekend and the Pleasure Beach looked very quiet from outside. (We didnt go into the park, but just saw no queue for Infusion or Revolution). The £18 North car park wasnt even half full, whilst the councils South car park was rammed. We saw people drive up to the North Car park, stop, look at the price, then reverse out and drive on :)

The parking charge at the Big Blue was one of the factors in us not stopping there this weekend and we always stay there. Felt strange not staying in the BBH, but stayed at the Hampton with a Seaview and free parking outside the hotel for £70 less than what the BBH was charging.

Last edited:
On a random note, guys; is Icon significantly better at night than it is in the day, if anyone has ridden it in the dark during Late Night Riding? As I'm visiting for Late Night Riding in August and would like to have a night ride on Icon. I've heard people say that Helix and Taron are significantly better at night, so I was wondering if Icon was the same.

Even though I wasn't a massive fan of it in August last year, I'd also quite like a Big One night ride, as I've heard that it is the UK's best coaster when ridden at night; apparently it's very smooth with loads of airtime! I admit that my daytime ride on the Big One could not have been a more stark contrast to those statements, but who knows; some coasters really change by night! Maybe the Big One is one of them?

On a random note, guys; is Icon significantly better at night than it is in the day, if anyone has ridden it in the dark during Late Night Riding? As I'm visiting for Late Night Riding in August and would like to have a night ride on Icon. I've heard people say that Helix and Taron are significantly better at night, so I was wondering if Icon was the same.

Even though I wasn't a massive fan of it in August last year, I'd also quite like a Big One night ride, as I've heard that it is the UK's best coaster when ridden at night; apparently it's very smooth with loads of airtime!
Can't say I noticed much of a difference when I rode at night last year.

Can't say I noticed much of a difference when I rode at night last year.
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification @Burbs! I was just wondering because if the same applies to Icon as applies to Helix and Taron, then a night ride on it could potentially make it take the number 1 spot from Mako!

Icon warms up quite a bit quicker now, than when it was new. That means by lunchtime it’s at close to full tilt. It will get a bit faster later on, but less noticeably than the difference between opening and a couple of hours later.

That all means that a night ride is going to be a bit faster, but not by much. Whether the darkness increases the sensation of speed or enjoyment for you is more a personal thing.

Whether the darkness increases the sensation of speed or enjoyment for you is more a personal thing.

This. Personally I loved a front row dark Icon ride in the dark, the only time I rode it in the dark, last season. The Big One is great in the dark but will always attract a big queue on night riding events. Be warned

Received a phone call yesterday from the pleasure beach... New hotel opening has been delayed by at least a week so I can't stay on the 1st of June.

The good news is that they exchanged my double room at the boulevard hotel to a king suite at the big blue. Result :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.