• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

I’m still not convinced on the station and “theming”, it looks like a slightly titivated portacabin but then I’m not convinced it really matters at Pleasure beach.

Will see what it looks like in the flesh.

Agreed, I still think the station looks poor but will save my final judgement until I see it in the flesh in a few weeks. Every time I see a testing video, I am hoping to see it take that first hill at more speed. I think it's time to give up hope there!

:)

Construction Update from PBE:

Includes footage of the (Awesome) name signage on the station! :) (Skip to 7:08)

I'm not sure why they've bothered with the theming, it all looks so cheap and naff. The ride looks great, of course but I think it would have been better if they'd just gone for a modern feel like Helix.

I'm not sure why they've bothered with the theming, it all looks so cheap and naff. The ride looks great, of course but I think it would have been better if they'd just gone for a modern feel like Helix.
I think that's a little harsh, the rock/memorial garden is minimalist but very effective, and should be nice with the water feature. I also really like the fencing used around the ride, it's high but doesn't obstruct the view of the coaster - quite an underrated design feat really when you consider how many parks completely block otherwise brilliant views with fencing.

I had hoped for more greenery in line with the "Japanese garden" theme, particularly around the second half of the ride, but the stones they have look smart enough.

My big issue is the station. You've got a stylish, perfectly streamlined coaster and modern trains with some nice minimalist theming, but then a massive shoebox covered in cladding which completely ruins the feel and flow of the ride. I'm not sure what the cladding is for, had hoped they would grow some foliage on the sides but it doesn't appear to be the case, therefore it looks a bit out of place and doesn't fit in at all. The ledge at the top looks silly, if it did have to be part of the design, it'd have been great to see PB make a feature of this IMO (maybe something similar to the cladding around Helix's station but in gold?)

The coaster looks fantastic and I like the theming, but it is a shame to see a poor station when it is something PB have done so well in the past.

Last edited:
I think that's a little harsh, the rock/memorial garden is minimalist but very effective, and should be nice with the water feature. I also really like the fencing used around the ride, it's high but doesn't obstruct the view of the coaster - quite an underrated design feat really when you consider how many parks completely block otherwise brilliant views with fencing.

I had hoped for more greenery in line with the "Japanese garden" theme, particularly around the second half of the ride, but the stones they have look smart enough.

My big issue is the station. You've got a stylish, perfectly streamlined coaster and modern trains with some nice minimalist theming, but then a massive shoebox covered in cladding which completely ruins the feel and flow of the ride. I'm not sure what the cladding is for, had hoped they would grow some foliage on the sides but it doesn't appear to be the case, therefore it looks a bit out of place and doesn't fit in at all. The ledge at the top looks silly, if it did have to be part of the design, it'd have been great to see PB make a feature of this IMO (maybe something similar to the cladding around Helix's station but in gold?)

The coaster looks fantastic and I like the theming, but it is a shame to see a poor station when it is something PB have done so well in the past.

Yeah, the way I worded that was a little harsh, I should have mentioned I was mostly focusing on the station. Hopefully the entrance feature will look good.

I do agree that the rocks and fencing around the ride are quite nice.

:)

Outdoor shop theming looks amazing, shame that didn’t transfer to the ride building.

But great news about the shop!

Great pics. @rob666 you were right about those water shooter things (if that’s what they are) at the bottom of the airtime hill being named after members of the Thompson family !