• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

*frantically plays the big one game to get a free wristband band*

I hate this game to death but all in the name of free admission to icon haha

Sent from my Ektra using Tapatalk

I've only skim read posts in here but it's great to see that Icon is getting such good reviews! Looking forward to getting on it myself on Wednesday, needless to say my expectations are higher than ever.

It does baffle me that people are prepared to pay £25 to get on a ride a week ahead of public opening though. Each to their own I suppose!

:)

It does baffle me that people are prepared to pay £25 to get on a ride a week ahead of public opening though. Each to their own I suppose!

Bare in mind it was only a few weeks ago they told us we could ride early, a nice surprise. They were purchased either as gifts or for the novelty of owning the souvinir card and certificate.

I've only skim read posts in here but it's great to see that Icon is getting such good reviews! Looking forward to getting on it myself on Wednesday, needless to say my expectations are higher than ever.

A lot of things baffle me about this industry, why people pay for express parking when a cheaper car park exist's a bit further up the road, and why people pay for fast track rather than joining the queue for free being two such example's.

Speaking for myself, we had ours purchased for Christmas by a relative who know we would be very grateful, and they were right!

Also, a little bit hypocritical, given that you plan to ride on Wednesday yourself, two days ahead of the opening day. Why don't you just wait till Friday if people riding early is such a problem?

Also, a little bit hypocritical, given that you plan to ride on Wednesday yourself, two days ahead of the opening day. Why don't you just wait till Friday if people riding early is such a problem?

That’s got my attention! Weds is my day off this week. I thought VIP riding was just up to including tomorrow. Is this right or are we talking about possible soft opening on Weds ?

It’s a bit different going to cover a media day than paying £25 for a ticket. Folk can choose to spend that if they want but it does amuse me that people are fawning over Amanda for her gracious offer to pay Mandy for a go on the thing.

Noticed on the ICON entrance board that during regular operations they want 15 tickets for one go on Icon.

I bought a VIP boarding pass just as something to keep as a momento of the occasion. Initially it seemed like you'd get to use it after the ride had opened for early access so getting on it a week early was a nice bonus. Was tempted to buy another one for the Sunday but decided against it, looking forward to Friday now.

I personally think it's morally wrong for PB to charge for a soft opening. Disney and Merlin don't even do it and they love getting your cash like no other place.

Fans will pay it though just like hoards of Applesheep who queue over night for the new phone. I just think it's unfair as People pay their entrance fee/annual passes. You shouldn't up charge for a coaster just because it's a soft opening.

If you were on the very first ever public train then you have some kind of claim but those who didn't make the first train essentially paid £25 to ride a coaster which lasts under 2 mins.

Mental.

TowersStreet have been invited to cover the launch of Icon at the press event, hence riding it on Wednesday. Where did I say that I had a problem with people riding it early? I have no such problem! I just find it strange that people are willing to pay £25 for one ride. But I have no problem with it, like I say, each to their own.

Blackpool are probably the first park in the world to make money from a soft opening! Maybe this will start a new trend.

I personally think it's morally wrong for PB to charge for a soft opening. Disney and Merlin don't even do it and they love getting your cash like no other place.

Fans will pay it though just like hoards of Applesheep who queue over night for the new phone. I just think it's unfair as People pay their entrance fee/annual passes. You shouldn't up charge for a coaster just because it's a soft opening.

If you were on the very first ever public train then you have some kind of claim but those who didn't make the first train essentially paid £25 to ride a coaster which lasts under 2 mins.

Mental.

At least when you purchase a BPB pass you aren't forced to buy into a hierarchy system, where someone with a pass of a higher value has more 'perks' than you.

Morally wrong, maybe, maybe not, depends on your POV. But let's not pretend other operators don't do exactly the same in slightly different ways.

At least with this, in 5 days time it becomes freely open to all season pass holders and wristband wearing guests. Remind me, when can standard MAP holders access Thorpe over the Halloween period without paying an extra charge?

TowersStreet have been invited to cover the launch of Icon at the press event, hence riding it on Wednesday. Where did I say that I had a problem with people riding it early? I have no such problem! I just find it strange that people are willing to pay £25 for one ride. But I have no problem with it, like I say, each to their own.

Blackpool are probably the first park in the world to make money from a soft opening! Maybe this will start a new trend.

I really don't see why everyone is so shocked at it. It's not the first time BPB have done this.

Whilst I’m not a huge fan of the VIP boarding card idea, if BPB offer it out and people choose to pay for it, then fair play to them in a way. Personally I chose not to pay £25 to ride it a week before other people do, but I won’t criticise anyone who has done that.

Also as may well have been said a few pages back, they are not technically ‘charging for soft opening’, they are simply guaranteeing you a ride before it opens to the public.

I was delighted to get on Wickerman’s soft opening but most certainly would not have paid £25 for it especially given the teething problems of its first few days. On that subject, I presume Icon has run without hitch (even though it’s only run for a limited time each day so far) otherwise we’d have heard about it. Opening a new ride in May is a far better idea than doing so in March if you think about how weather hampered Wickerman’s start

I don't have any problem with the park trying to get a few extra quid from charging for early rides.

People have an easy choice. Pay £25 if you want but if not then just go to the park when the ride officially opens a week later. It really isn't a major issue for me.

It is the fast track systems that nearly every park has that is the most immoral thing. They are just making money out of peoples misery because nobody wants to stand in long queues for hours on end. But at least PB have a reasonably priced system.

*frantically plays the big one game to get a free wristband band*

I hate this game to death but all in the name of free admission to icon haha

Just an update on my frantic big one game mission to get a free go on icon ...

GOD THIS GAME IS BORING AS SIN : IT'S EVIL
c0a1be74ae8afd137add8b416860f812.jpg

Just an update on my frantic big one game mission to get a free go on icon ...

GOD THIS GAME IS BORING AS SIN : IT'S EVIL

Especially when a moderately long go gets you about 700 points. Means you would have to do that same run 143 times over. So well played :p

Especially when a moderately long go gets you about 700 points. Means you would have to do that same run 143 times over.
Actually I have calculated the exact rate of voucher points ... It's for every 1000 meters travelled you get 100 voucher points ... So there ye go

It's god damnit painful the most monotonous game I've ever played ... I played it to get 4 free wristbands once for me and my mates to go ... I WAS BRAIN DEAD by the end of it lol

Actually I have calculated the exact rate of voucher points ... It's for every 1000 meters travelled you get 100 voucher points ... So there ye go

It's god damnit painful the most monotonous game I've ever played ... I played it to get 4 free wristbands once for me and my mates to go ... I WAS BRAIN DEAD by the end of it lol

Now that is dedication... All that to save £25 each :p