• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Charging people extra to ride a new coaster. Still haven't got my head around the idea yet. Its free to ride (minus admission fee) as of next Friday so I'm waiting.

I agree but it makes business sense, they offered advance Icon rides for extra money, people bought them through choice. I voted with my wallet and am happy to attend in a couple of weeks time for no extra money! There’s a reason why golf clubs round here charge four figure joining fees - because there’s always people who are happy to pay them.

Both!
And where were you two anyway?

At work. Happy to let the Ubernerds get their fix first. I’ve waited long enough for this coaster, another week or two not a problem

If the rides at Port Aventura are world class then everything in the UK is as well...

The choice and variety of good quality attractions in the UK is great, and usually go beyond what the "bigger and better" ones offer...

The amount of "world class" rides in the USA is pitiful given the actual number available...

TPW have now uploaded their review of Icon:

Great stuff!
I think PBE uploaded a reaction video as well, but I can't find it at the moment.

Theming is overrated, it's more important for some rides than for others..

I totally disagree, for me it makes the ride.

I’d much rather go to universal studios than six flags magic mountain, for examples and I’ve been to both.

I can enjoy a ride with no theming, but what nemesis does, for example, is very very difficult to replicate.

Looking forward to riding Icon, I’m sure it’s great and I like BPB, but I don’t think theming is overrated myself.

You see, I don't think theming is essential to a good coaster, but I definitely prefer my parks with heavy theming. I also think dark rides and to a lesser extent water rides are better with heavy theming.

I still think I'll really enjoy BPB when I visit for the first time in August, though. The park looks to be really nice, with some real charm. And come on, your first ever Mack megacoaster and a water ride that has previously been voted best in the world, amongst other things, sound pretty appealing, right?

If the rides at Port Aventura are world class then everything in the UK is as well...

Shambhala is a cut above anything the UK has to offer.

I'd also argue that Stampida is a far better candidate for being 'world class' than any wooden coaster in the UK though I appreciate there is some disagreement with me on that.

I'd much rather go to Magic Mountain, each to their own I guess. There's nothing wrong with differing opinions at the end of the day :)
Indeed; differing opinions are what make these forums interesting! I'd personally like to go to both (well, I've already been to Universal Studios in Florida!), but for different reasons.

By the way, forgot to mention. Today the ride was on 2 out of 3 trains, I queued from half way down the entire queue line and it only took 10 minutes.

I think that says more about the queue line than anything else. How long (in terms of length) is it? It seems to go almost direct from the entry arch to the station with no switchbacks.

Indeed, the queue line is quite short, probably not too far off Infusion's though. That being said, the queue itself did shift fast.

Reactions: Tim
I still can't believe people have paid £25 for essentially one go on a coaster. It's absolutely bonkers. It's like going to the cinema and paying £10 for the seat and then them asking for another £15 to actually watch the movie. A fool and his money is easily parted though it seems.

If Merlin had have pulled this stunt for soft opening of WM, the TP community would have been up in arms.

Shambhala is a cut above anything the UK has to offer.

I'd also argue that Stampida is a far better candidate for being 'world class' than any wooden coaster in the UK though I appreciate there is some disagreement with me on that.

Stampida is a terrible wooden coaster, I think “some disagreement” would turn out to be an understatement.

Indeed, the queue line is quite short, probably not too far off Infusion's though. That being said, the queue itself did shift fast.

I like the thought that Icon could be a potential queue muncher, BUT I am presuming that only a certain number of VIP tickets were available for today and each of the coming days, so we can’t judge the queue times properly until all and sundry descend on the ride in a week’s time.

I still can't believe people have paid £25 for essentially one go on a coaster. It's absolutely bonkers. It's like going to the cinema and paying £10 for the seat and then them asking for another £15 to actually watch the movie. A fool and his money is easily parted though it seems.

If Merlin had have pulled this stunt for soft opening of WM, the TP community would have been up in arms.

Those who paid also recieved an exclusive VIP certificate don't forget :p

I would estimate there were about 300-400 people there this morning.

Yes we are suckers or fools with money! But it’s a choice. I find it funny that some vloggers channels slam fast pass etc but all seemed to be in force today.

Unless...... they got freebies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those who paid also recieved an exclusive VIP certificate don't forget :p

Well now you've said that I have changed my mind. ;)

Dangerous precedent for me and sadly enthusiasts will just pay it because they can't wait 7 more days. Merlin would have such negative backlash for doing this. Charging fans for a soft opening is something I would never do simply out of principle.

Yes we are suckers or fools with money! But it’s a choice. I find it funny that some vloggers channels slam fast pass etc but all seemed to be in force today.

Unless...... they got freebies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes even less sense than Joe public who paid today. The vloggers, at least the more popular channels, will be getting numerous free goes on Wednesday for the press event no doubt.

It's probably just a case of trying to out do the competition. I notice that both TPW and PBE were both there paying today.

My whole “issue”with BPB is lack of theming, to me that makes a ride.

I wish Blackpool would go down the extensive theming route as the place just doesn’t scream “welcoming”.

However, I’ll make the journey up for icon as I’m in the area at the weekend but can’t see me rushing back for Icon. I believe the hardware will be good but there appears to be a lack of substance.

Mako was average at best so hope this tops it.