• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Not a cheap option, but more to do with long periods of running. They eventually stop working as effectively due to the tiny nozzles and a tendency to scale up - as has happened with the mist rings on Oblivion over time. Maybe they've installed kit to descale the water, time will tell I guess!

Not a cheap option, but more to do with long periods of running. They eventually stop working as effectively due to the tiny nozzles and a tendency to scale up - as has happened with the mist rings on Oblivion over time. Maybe they've installed kit to descale the water, time will tell I guess!

So like blockages?

Thanks - I know this is slightly off topic.

:)

So like blockages?

Thanks - I know this is slightly off topic.

:)

Yup basically. It's the white crap you get in a kettle over time - except the nozzles are so narrow that they block up over time. You can install descalers to prevent it from happening as quickly, but over time they'll always need replacing/clearing at some point.

Icon's train lights are already broken/switched off on both trains.

Headlights, strip lights and spotlights under the seats all off :(
Oh for **** Sake!:mad:
TBF If it is daytime then thats not so bad

Hopfully working for the night time rider events.
Especially the September/October/and November ones!

What's this about the exit bridge? Anyone got any photos as I'm genuinely curious as to what they've done with it

Yup basically. It's the white crap you get in a kettle over time - except the nozzles are so narrow that they block up over time. You can install descalers to prevent it from happening as quickly, but over time they'll always need replacing/clearing at some point.
But this is fine soft northern water, no limescale, no jet blockages from scale.
Famous for tasty clear drinking water up here, not been through nine different people like that London stuff.
The mist does give a fantastic blinding effect though.

My first three rides on the UK's second double launch coaster today

Had a middle row seat for my opening ride which was quite early in the day and I have to be honest and say that I was slightly disappointed after all the hype.

Front row after lunch and this time it was much better. Felt a lot faster and had a lot more force in the ride.

Back row for my 3rd ride and as you would expect it is more whippy at the back but still very good.

As others have said, the ride does seem to take time to warm up. The 2nd and 3rd rides felt much quicker than the 1st.

Overall I think it's a fantastic ride (front is best for me), not an extreme thrill machine by any means but loads of fun and very re-ridable. In many ways it's a perfect choice for the park as it will appeal to a broad section of visitors, much like Wickerman will at towers.

The big one is still the parks iconic ride for me though and it remains my favourite coaster (after the sadly departed mouse of course).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apparently it was flying by ride close at 7pm today, can't wait to try it at the late night event on Saturday, still don't know where those pesky fireworks will be launched from.

can't wait to try it at the late night event on Saturday, still don't know where those pesky fireworks will be launched from.

Has it been confirmed that Icon will stay open til 10pm though, as most of South end of the park shuts at 9pm for the fireworks. I doubt anyone will actually be riding it in the dark until later in the year given how much daylight we get now

Has it been confirmed that Icon will stay open til 10pm though, as most of South end of the park shuts at 9pm for the fireworks. I doubt anyone will actually be riding it in the dark until later in the year given how much daylight we get now
Nothing officially confirmed yet, I have emailed :)
I would guess that it will close at 9pm though.

I just thought I'd put a little list together from quotations of various Icon reviews from enthusiasts online, on Youtube and that I have spoken to in person. Normally you would expect slight variations in reviews for new attractions, but the polar opposite nature of many Icon reviews is staggering:

"Boring"
"The best coaster in the UK, no doubt about it"
"Such a dissapointment"
"Better than Shambhala"
"Outstanding ride"
"Just as good as Nemesis"
"Better than Blue Fire, not as good as Helix"
"Slow"
"Fast paced"
"On par with Helix"
"Pathetic launches"
"Airtime machine"
"Good in the morning, excellent in the afternoon"
"Not as good as PMBO"
"I was underwhelmed"
"Everything I expected and more"
"Forceless"
"Intense"
"Not at all one of the UK's top coasters"
"By far and away the best coaster in the country"

This variation is crazy, I cannot recall another ride that got such a wide rage of reviews, nornally there is some sort of vague consensus.

Last edited:
@MakoMania - I agree, very polarising indeed. That said, I feel fairly indifferent about it after a couple more rides. It's fun and certainly a welcome addition but I can't get on board with the meandering and that last limp home that it does feels very uninspired.

Someone said to me on park today - "The good news is, you have a Mack Launch coaster 20 mins from your house. The bad news is, it's Icon" which I probably wouldn't argue with. If people are hellbent on comparing it with Helix & Blue Fire, perhaps it is the lovechild of both those rides, but it seemingly got the worst genes from both mum and dad.

*Considers questioning whether loyalty towards the Pleasure Beach and/or Mack plays a part in some of the glowing reviews - decides against it...*

I think the main issue was the amount of hype it received by enthusiasts as it tested for for so long and was a Mack mega, only leasing to disappointment. It seems people are more negative as they were expecting too much, as oppose to Wicker Man which suprised most people.