• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Yeah probably do that, sat in row three and the back row myself and it wasn't pleasant. Don't think hell have an issue sitting down, it's getting into the seats and sorting out the legroom which is a faff, as well as getting out. Icon does highlight the contrast between the two massively though.

If you're the same height as me and found Big One's cars uncomfortable, and your 6'1" cousin could barely fit, then I really worry for my 6'6" dad...
Some seats have a lot more leg room than others. I am sure someone else will confirm this but I think it's the seats at the front of each car that have plenty of leg room.

Edit: katy beat me to it !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I wonder if the general perception of the Big One and Grand National being rough coasters will increase with Icon in close proximity?

I wish there was a train from before the 2004 fire they could stick on the National for a few laps. It'd be interesting to see what contributes most to the back breaking ride experience in 2018 - the track, the trains, my advancing years or perhaps a bit of each!

I wonder if the general perception of the Big One and Grand National being rough coasters will increase with Icon in close proximity?

I wish there was a train from before the 2004 fire they could stick on the National for a few laps. It'd be interesting to see what contributes most to the back breaking ride experience in 2018 - the track, the trains, my advancing years or perhaps a bit of each!

Just remember though that enthusiasts are a hard bunch to please. If Nash got new trains, for everyone who would say “These are great, the ride is so much less rough”, you’d have one saying “These new trains have taken all the fun out of the ride, it’s boring now.”

@Dipper_Dave I don't doubt it - the experiment could be fun though. Keep sending each party round in the train of their choice and see who gives in or ends up in Blackpool Vic first!

I seem to recall the Nash was at it wildest (not roughest) when it ran the four car three bench trains. The back seat on those were pretty crazy - @Ash84 @rob666 ?

It already has to be honest, I noticed they felt a lot rougher, and I enjoy most of them normally infusion being the exception and others commented on it. The national isn't bad to me unless you're sat on a wheel seat.

The national isn't bad to me unless you're sat on a wheel seat.

I saw a similar comment a couple of years back, at the time I just sat wherever I felt like and wasn’t convinced there was any truth in that. Having had the luxury of visiting on many quiet days since then, for me it’s definitely true. Rows 2, 5 & 8 are less rough for sure. Slap bang in the middle of the train in row 5 is the least tame for nervous / first time riders. Recently I was in row 8 (second to back) and a guy behind had his young daughter with him on the back row. She seemed terrified !

It doesn't seem to matter which seat you pick anymore...they are all rough.
The ride has slowed over time as it has got rougher, it is not as much fun as it was.
The old trains were better, but remembering how and why has been beaten out of my memory by all those rides.

Last edited:
@Dipper_Dave I don't doubt it - the experiment could be fun though. Keep sending each party round in the train of their choice and see who gives in or ends up in Blackpool Vic first!

I seem to recall the Nash was at it wildest (not roughest) when it ran the four car three bench trains. The back seat on those were pretty crazy - @Ash84 @rob666 ?

4 car trains were wild! The back row was amazing, but nowhere near as uncomfortable as the back seat of today's 3 car train. I am holding the trains 100% responsible for the discomfort people report, you only have to ride the Dipper or Streak to see how much better those trains are, and they aren't exactly wacky worm coasters, they both have days were they can throw you about and give decent airtime,but they do it without that horrible lap restraint.

I have recently gone through my collection of old stuff and found some great reviews of BPB and individual rides from long gone websites, most of which are written by Americans who came over in the late 90's/early00'''s, the Nash and Mouse were consistently they best rated rides, usually with the Dipper and the Coaster coming in next, and all the steel coasters were some distance after that.

It just shows how things have changed so much for the Nash.

Rode Icon for the first time yesterday. Whilst I normally think people wildly over exaggerate the differences something as anologue as a human brain can detect in how a coaster is "running" (to be frank, I think most of the time it's emotional perception or down right lies), I had 2 different experiences yesterday.

The first ride at 11:00 was on the back row and the top hat was awesome but the rest of the ride felt more gentle and slow than I was expecting. Still highly enjoyable however.

The second ride was at 18:30 in the front row. Air time all over the place, an incredible ride!

For me, this is shaping up to be possibly the best coaster in the UK as far as layout and hardware is concerned. I really enjoyed it.

Gift shop, area around the ride including the bridge above the launch track and the entrance look great. Station interior is also fantastic. Station exterior is pants, the pit is basically like the Smilers but with some cheap AstroTurf laid and the exit pathway is like one of those diverted pedestrian walkways you see near building sites painted grey.

The exit path has a temporary look for a reason, anyone want to guess why?
Is that a rhetorical question? Have they not finished it yet, because I remember Amanda saying that she wanted a Japanese serenity garden at the ride's exit.

I believe it's designed to be removable for access reasons.

Also, a boring black narrow passage which you can't see over is less likely to encourage loitering.

Always nice when folk can justify the naff bits away.

I didn't think the exit path was that bad, it's a bit bland but it does the job. Personally exit paths are not something that I tend to get excited over though.