• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

.....and then there is me, in the minority, who still rates the Nash above the lot and that includes everything at Alton, Icon, Port Av and Orlando.

For me that is a world class ride, I just wish they would replace the trains before it rips itself to bits.

Remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion about Icon and everything else at Pleasure Beach; my personal opinion is that Icon is outstanding; my number 1 UK coaster and my number 2 overall behind only Mako! My family seemed very positively surprised by Icon, also. I also rather enjoyed everything else at BPB bar Infusion, Big One, Steeplechase and Nash; I felt that Infusion felt like torture, although it did look nice; I felt that Big One lacked airtime and was surprisingly rough, although I must admit I rather liked the first drop; I felt that while Steeplechase is a unique ride and I'm glad it's still there, it was very jerky and hurt me quite a bit and I felt that while Grand National's layout was good and there were some good pops of airtime, it was just far too brutal to fully enjoy, in my opinion.

However, I know of many enthusiasts who love Grand National's brutality, and who adore Big One and Steeplechase and Infusion, so that just proves that everyone really is entitled to their own opinion! I even once heard someone say that Smiler was rougher than BPB's woodies; I don't personally agree, but it's their opinion, so it doesn't matter what I think! Before I ramble on, what I'm basically trying to say is that everyone has their own opinions on what world class is. As for my opinion, I am personally leaning more towards @MakoMania's opinion that Icon is world class, but I know that not everyone will agree with me.

I wholeheartedly apologise for the random lecture about opinion, but I felt like it would be an interesting piece to add to this discussion.
P.S. I apologise if I'm not giving BPB's older rides the justice they deserve, or if any of my opinions are particularly controversial. It's just that I personally like rides that strike a balance between smoothness and thrill, which is probably why I like rides like Icon and Mako so much! Sorry for long post, also.

Also, as this is a BPB thread; was Wild Mouse any more brutal than Nash, out of interest?

The problem with the Nash is the trains. Pre 06 it ran the same style trains as the Streak (with only 6 per car instead of 8) but it had the same shared single lap bar which doesn't pin you anywhere near as much as the new Nash ones.

The ride has always been filled with airtime, but now you either don't get that airtime, or are slammed into the thick, heavy restraint which makes it very painful. If you watch a POV and try imagine every hill or double drop you are floating out of the seat you will get some idea of how good it can be (with the right restraints)

The Mouse was often miss categorised as rough. Again, it was actually very smooth, it just had a design that saw the front wheels in the middle of the car rather than at the front, which gave the illusion of the cars tipping of the edge, but they actually took the corners very well when you got your head around they didn't turn when you expected them to (they were always a second behind) however for some, that lead to rough/dangerous and all the rest of it.

You have to remember that the inside of the cars were well padded like the other woodies and you only had a belt across the front of you, so without and lap bars it felt a lot less brutal.

Of course there are some who called for extra restraints and every now and then you find someone suggesting it should have used OTSR's. That would have certainly killed someone.

New trains and/or retracking and the Nash would be the best woodie in Britain by some distance imo
I suspect retracking would have far less impact than replacing the trains. It's the worst of both worlds at the moment, but I suspect sticking Timberliners or similar on the existing track would be night and day.

Plus, the quality of the track and the trains goes hand in hand. The existing trains are pretty unforgiving on the track as well as the riders.

Problem is, those trains are 12 years old. I have in over 30 years of visiting never seen a coaster get brand new rolling stock other than the Nash after the fire and the Steeplechase last year.

That tells me they invest and expect them to last so sadly I don't see them going anywhere any time soon (unless the whole thing goes)

@Ash84 Were the Space Invader 2 cars built on the same chassis? I don't recall.

Whilst I think that is true, I think the ways of working will change because in those thirty years, the park has invested in a number of coasters. With the wood coasters, most of the trains are a Trigger's broom scenario. They might look original, but the number of original parts on them means they're essentially not very old outside of a few components.

Coaster rolling stock isn't cheap, though - so I am certainly not saying they'll replace things for the sake of it.

@Ash84 Were the Space Invader 2 cars built on the same chassis? I don't recall.

Whilst I think that is true, I think the ways of working will change because in those thirty years, the park has invested in a number of coasters. With the wood coasters, most of the trains are a Trigger's broom scenario. They might look original, but the number of original parts on them means they're essentially not very old outside of a few components.

Coaster rolling stock isn't cheap, though - so I am certainly not saying they'll replace things for the sake of it.

No, I had forgotten about the Space Invader to be honest, it did receive new cars when it became Space Invader 2.

I seem to remember the £250,000 figure coming to light for the Nash. I can't remember if that was per car/train or for the whole lot though.

It still has its moments. Sit in the right seat with the ride bar and manage to hold it in place and you stand a chance of seeing the real Nash.

Of course you should just be able to get on and go....but clearly those in charge think differently.

I do feel this has wondered somewhat off topic now, what I would like to know is how Icon will ride in a few years to come. Will it be looked after as it should be, or will wheels start to be made in house that affect the quality of the ride?

Overheard maintenance guys the other day, Icon's wheels are in the process of gradually being changed over from one material to another. Didn't catch any more than that unfortunately but I think it's pretty standard for new coasters to change wheel composition?

Overheard maintenance guys the other day, Icon's wheels are in the process of gradually being changed over from one material to another. Didn't catch any more than that unfortunately but I think it's pretty standard for new coasters to change wheel composition?
I wonder whether they'll be softer wheels or harder wheels?

Yeah that sounds pretty reasonable so far. I was meaning more long term. Infusion for example has some Vekoma wheels and some sourced from elsewhere. That's in some cases the person on row 5 leaves having had a reasonable ride, the person on row 6 leaves with mild concussion.

I will leave you to decide which is the Vekoma wheel lol

@Ash84 are you suggesting the park are using wheels that aren't designed to the exact same specification as the original Vekoma wheel? o_O (Which incidentally use an Arrow design).

The quality of the ride has far more to do with the quality and age of the tyre and the shocks than it does the wheel.

If you think you can tell the difference I demand a blindfolded test in every seat. God bless POP ;)

@Ash84 are you suggesting the park are using wheels that aren't designed to the exact same specification as the original Vekoma wheel? o_O (Which incidentally use an Arrow design).

The quality of the ride has far more to do with the quality and age of the tyre and the shocks than it does the wheel.

If you think you can tell the difference I demand a blindfolded test in every seat. God bless POP ;)

Never mind POP, regardless of PPR, POP, it's more a case of YPM (you pay me) to get on that second hand hang n bang!