• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

What do I see in Icon that few others seem to see? I rode it twice (once in row 2, once in row 6) when I visited Blackpool in August, and I personally found the ride to have some extremely good moments, especially in the second half!

Admittedly, the first half before the airtime hills prior to the second launch is not overly intense, but I still found it good fun, and the transitions were nice! Though the second half is when the ride really comes into its own, in my opinion. Lovely, intense transitions and a great sense of speed with some great moments of ejector airtime thrown in there, in my opinion! Combine that with the launches being better than expected and the ride's glossy smoothness throughout and Blackpool and Mack have a winner on their hands, if you ask me! Overall, I absolutely love Icon; my favourite UK coaster and my number 2 coaster overall behind Mako at SeaWorld Orlando!

As for the warming up thing, isn't that the case with all coasters to some extent? Also, I couldn't feel the rattle that everyone talks about with Icon; it felt perfectly smooth to me! That might be a thing of experience, but I personally didn't find any rattle anywhere on Icon!
P.S. Sorry for long post.

What is it that changes throughout the day? I've ridden it in the morning and afternoon, and I notice the difference, but I don't understand why.

Can anyone explain the science (or link to a previous explanation) as to why the launches power varies throughout the day?

Also, how significant is the speed difference?
And could they not just turn it up in the morning and down in the afternoon (sacrilege, I know)?

What is it that changes throughout the day? I've ridden it in the morning and afternoon, and I notice the difference, but I don't understand why.

Can anyone explain the science (or link to a previous explanation) as to why the launches power varies throughout the day?

Also, how significant is the speed difference?
And could they not just turn it up in the morning and down in the afternoon (sacrilege, I know)?
I'm not sure it's the launch speed as such, more the running speed of the coaster due to cold/warm wheels (cold is slower, and it'll be cold in the mornings before it's been running for a while).

It is strange how it seems to affect Mack launched coasters more than others though, as Helix is similar albeit not as much of a dramatic change.

As for the warming up thing, isn't that the case with all coasters to some extent?

You are right, all coasters do warm up, however it seems more noticeable on Icon than it does on a lot of other coasters. The difference in some of the forces from riding in the morning to the afternoon is quite dramatic!

Skyrush was the same for me this summer, although the major difference is that it's still a top top coaster before it has warmed up. Once warmed up it becomes mental!

:)

I don't remember reading comments of a coaster warming up throughout the day at all a few years ago. Now it seems everyone makes this observation about every coaster, but more noticeably about Icon. A lot of people swear even Nemesis is vastly different at the end of the day.

I've never consciously experienced a coaster warming up throughout the day at Towers or anywhere. Been riding Nemesis since 2003 and I've never noticed. If I ever get round to Icon I'll have to take note.

I've a vague memory of watching maybe a documentary many years ago which showed wheel heaters under the station of Colossus (I think) to keep each train 'pre-warmed' while loading. Do they still do this? Does any coaster?

Not saying you're all wrong! :p Just can't believe the effect is as pronounced as some make out.

I've always found it more noticeble on coasters with airtime, as you can really notice the difference in the strength of the airtime once the coaster has warmed up.

Icon has some near ejector airtime once it has warmed up that just is not there at the start of the day.

:)

the running speed of the coaster due to cold/warm wheels (cold is slower, and it'll be cold in the mornings before it's been running for a while).

Do the wheels really keep getting warmer throughout the day? You'd think a few runs would be enough to get them up to temperature, and any excess would be lost while the wheels sit on the brakes or in the station? I'd be really curious to know how the temperature of the wheels vary, there must be a point where they max out.

I also rode icon on one of the hottest days of the year, you'd think 30c ambient would give the wheels a good head start over the days at the end of the season (maybe it does, I've only ridden on that one day).

Thank you for the explanation, appreciate it.

The grease in the bearings may be as much to do with it as anything.
On the early hot days there was much checking of wheel temperature with a laser gauge, with much shrugging by the tech staff, but it kept running.
The first inversion is amazing early on in the day, real fall out of your seat stuff on the first rides of the day.
...and infusion and avalanche have wheel heating.

wheel heaters under the station of Colossus (I think) to keep each train 'pre-warmed' while loading. Do they still do this? Does any coaster?

Yea they still do but only for colder conditions like in the morning and cold days (or nights), Galactica has them I think too.

As @rob666 says it's the grease in the bearings. It does make a difference, some parks during colder seasons change the polyurethane wheels for nylon which are faster but not as comfortable and louder. Id guess multi launch coasters are less dependant as they can be regulated somewhat by the launches

Went to Blackppol Pleasure Beach on Wednesday with 2 free wristbands and managed to experience Icon for the first time. Sat on very back row of the train.........

Oh My God the air time over the first hill was immense and the ride had quite a few ejector air times around the layout as well. Damn Blackpool I'm impressed and it was definitely well worth the wait.

Also did Red Arrows Sky Force and managed a good amount of spins. I lost count after about 40 but damn the head rush was brutal once it got spinning.

Overall a very enjoyable day at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and definitely a joint top position in my top 5 UK Coasters. Nemesis still hold s dear and I can't split this between Nemesis so Joint 1st is what I think.

Went to Blackppol Pleasure Beach on Wednesday with 2 free wristbands and managed to experience Icon for the first time. Sat on very back row of the train.........

Oh My God the air time over the first hill was immense and the ride had quite a few ejector air times around the layout as well. Damn Blackpool I'm impressed and it was definitely well worth the wait.

Also did Red Arrows Sky Force and managed a good amount of spins. I lost count after about 40 but damn the head rush was brutal once it got spinning.

Overall a very enjoyable day at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and definitely a joint top position in my top 5 UK Coasters. Nemesis still hold s dear and I can't split this between Nemesis so Joint 1st is what I think.

Quite right. Without being biased, it’s got to be said that ICON is by the far the better rollercoaster experience.

The Wickerman love seems to be based in some nuanced combination of theme and brainwashing. Icon is definitely the better ride, but clearly the marketing is a lot worse.

"Rollercoasters need to warm up."

Please, if anything you need a good sprinkle of the wet stuff to make a difference I find.

You don't see Nemesis go to Nemesis inferno "ere mate, got my Superdry jacket on, I'm steaming round this track quicker than you can say "sub tera's SBNO again."

I think that BPB's biggest mistake (other than the very poor marketing campaign) is spending too much on one ride, when really they are not in a financial position to do so.

With the money they have spent on Icon, one ride, they could have bought a Premier Rides Sky Rocket II, an RMC Raptor coaster, a Gravity Group wooden coaster (e.g.-Mine Blower) and a large flat ride.

That's 3 new coasters and one new flat ride all for the price of what they have spent on their one new coaster. Surely when you are as financially squeezed as BPB are at the minute, you should be opting for maximum value attractions. Premier Rides, Gravity Group and RMC are all high quality manufacturers as well.

Quite right. Without being biased, it’s got to be said that ICON is by the far the better rollercoaster experience.

The Wickerman love seems to be based in some nuanced combination of theme and brainwashing. Icon is definitely the better ride, but clearly the marketing is a lot worse.

I would argue the brainwashing is more prevalent on Icon. Wickerman is average, icon is average. Never known two coasters to have so many fans for no good reason but the hyperbole thrown at icon based on the ride itself is amazing to behold.

It’s dull in the morning and average in the evening. I like the stylisation of the area (just like wickermans strength is the theming) but as a coaster neither ride has any great strength.

^It's personal opinion. I think Wicker Man is average whilst I think Icon is bloody brilliant and the best coaster in the country by a mile. Other people may be the other way round. Some people think Nemesis is a bad ride, they're insane but it's just the way it is :p

This whole forum is mostly personal opinion, that’s the point.