• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

I don't see it as any more daft a name than Helix tbh. I suppose most of the good names are taken these days.
Could be a lot worse, we could be stateside and have names like "Patriot", or "Great American [insert thing here]", or "Gun R Orsum!", or whatever tripe they pipe out next.

I think the name's alright. It's not even the worst name for a coaster at Blackpool but fits in with most of the other coasters' names (Dipper, Big One for example). Surprised it's implying some sort of oriental theme though, since Blackpool are not really known for that, but it could having a logo like that for the sake of having one.

Segment on Granada News just now with Amanda getting a little 'over enthusiastic' about the whole thing. Nothing we don't already know however :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Segment on Granada News just now with Amanda getting a little 'over enthusiastic' about the whole thing. Nothing we don't already know however :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not just me that thought that then :tearsofjoy:. Good to see some local news coverage though! I'm sure the name will grow on me over time, but ultimately it's all about how it rides over anything else!

I love the name and the logo. Its also nice to see such open and true to life campaign for the coaster.

How Ironic to be be named Icon.

But then again the UK does have weird names such as: Nemesis; The Smiler; The Big One; Rita; Stealth; Big Dipper. After seeing the area of the ride from Blackpool Tower yesterday, I can't say I'm not excited for the ride. Weird how they went with an Asian theme even though rumours and marketing led most people into believing an F1 theme. But I hope for some theming along the ride with the Asian theme or some nice looking trains.

Also I don't know how Iconic this ride will be as there's already rides like Taron, Shambala and Nemesis in Europe alone. Not to mention the GCI coming to Towers everyone has been wanted for years and the RMC everyone has been wanting at Cedar Point, Oh and the Mack Mega that's coming to Walt Disney World. And that's 2018 alone...

How Ironic to be be named Icon.

But then again the UK does have weird names such as: Nemesis; The Smiler; The Big One; Rita; Stealth; Big Dipper. After seeing the area of the ride from Blackpool Tower yesterday, I can't say I'm not excited for the ride. Weird how they went with an Asian theme even though rumours and marketing led most people into believing an F1 theme. But I hope for some theming along the ride with the Asian theme or some nice looking trains.

Also I don't know how Iconic this ride will be as there's already rides like Taron, Shambala and Nemesis in Europe alone. Not to mention the GCI coming to Towers everyone has been wanted for years and the RMC everyone has been wanting at Cedar Point, Oh and the Mack Mega that's coming to Walt Disney World. And that's 2018 alone...

BPB released this photo which has the colour scheme and presumably the train. I'm not expecting much from BPB on theming beyond the queue.

FB_IMG_1491933443310_zpsyjf0ddk0.jpg

As for other launch coasters it might not be iconic but it will introduce a Mack launch coaster to a whole different market other than just theme park fans. This could be as big as the big one was (figuratively speaking) and is much needed after 2015.

As for the irony I'm with Burbs. Have you gone all Alanis Morissette on us?

Next to what 99% of the UK GP view to be the tallest, fastest, "best rollacoasta evvaaaa" and its going to be called icon. Sure, for me it'll most likely be the main draw, but for non enthusiasts I wouldn't be surprised to hear 'like the big one but smaller with loop de loops" dread to think what the paper rags say about lap bars and inversions.

But then again the UK does have weird names such as: Nemesis; The Smiler; The Big One; Rita; Stealth; Big Dipper.

Sorry, but Nemesis and Stealth are far from "weird names", maybe Stealth is a bit odd because it's themed to a 1960s race track but it's definitely not weird. Plus Big One and Dipper are fine names for a park like Blackpool as it's not really a theme park as such.

Not even as such, it is clearly an Amusement Park. Nothing wrong with that though.

Reactions: Ted
I have moved several threads into our EuropaStreet forum. I apologise if you have posted and it has been moved - please click here.

Regarding Icon, I reckon it will be a great coaster. I doubt it will top iSpeed and Helix in Europe for me, but it should be the next best launch coaster. Let us hope, anyway!