• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Either that or she's just massively trolling us all... She's actually buying a second hand Volare to replace the Mouse!! ;)

Ahhh well, an enthusiast can hope!

It's either a massive hint or Mack are paying her to subtly mention their company. :p ;)

It is sounding more and more like that this project is now due in 2018. Amanda Thompson has said a number of times on Twitter that nothing is happening in 2017 but that there is going to be something worth the wait.

The Tom Sawyer bridge was removed to be replaced for this season, apparently construction of the new bridge is nearing completion. The new 2018 coaster may interact with the new bridge!

:)

The new bridge is a replacement of the smaller "side" bridge that links the Dipper station to the Avalanche station,
not a replacement for the bigger wooden Tom Sawyer Bridge that ran from the Dipper station down to the Big One.
I imagine the new wider replacement bridge was to help foot flow around the park until the new ride (and replacement bridge for the Tom Sawyer one) actually happens.
The Tom Sawyer bridge ran north/south,
and has not yet been replaced,
the new glass and metal bridge runs east/west

Reactions: Rob
If this happens, Mandy's stock on this forum is going to rocket.

If it's a Big Mack (you can have that one for Free Mandy) it should be one of the best recent coaster decisions made.

And if they're starting works to prepare, 2 years in advance, that is also fantastic forward planning.

Did I just write that?

I saw on, I think PBE, that the bridge was a bit rickety and needed to come down anyway, so it makes sense that they would take it down now and spread the cost of the ride over multiple financial years.

On PBE, it was noted that the new bridge from Coasters to Avalanche looks good and is on the 2016 map, but the Tom Sawyer bridge is not on the map.

I'm really excited to finding out whatever this project could be. Not been to Blackpool for 6 years and besides the rides I haven't done, this will definitely temp me to go back there. Like everyone else, I hope it's a Mack and worth the 24 year wait for a brand new coaster.

To be fair to the place.

Mouse, Dipper, Big One, Revolution, W&G (still not rode that!), Streak (appropriate for TST), Nash, Infusion, Nick Land, the flats, Valhalla, they're not short on rides - if Mandy's frugality results in adding a BluFi style coaster to the line up, BPB is going to be firmly back on the map.

I really just hope if she is doing it, she does it properly, & ends up with a Helix/Blufi - a PROPER one basically.

A Helix snaking around BPB, with proper good height or a launch towards the promenade, really, it could be absolutely spectacular IF they do it right.

IF.

But.. this is Mack, it's pretty exciting to consider.

Will rename it Pleasure Beach Mackpool.

Last edited:
If any UK park can give us something on a par with Helix, it's Blackpool. Everywhere else is either too limited by planning restictions / space or doesn't have the money.

If this project is for 2018, then that will make 2018 the best season in the UK since 1994.

Depends what AT does and how good the Mack is (if) - potential though to have a year I feel we've waited eons for.

94 was THE year though. Can't ever see that being beaten.

Here is a look at the new bridge that has been built for this season:

thumb_bpbbridge.jpg

And the space that has been left by the removal of the Tom Sawyer bridge:

thumb_bpbbridgegone.jpg

Photos credit to Theme Parks Worldwide

Plenty of space there for the new coaster!

thumb_bpbbridge.jpg

thumb_bpbbridgegone.jpg

I heard the lake was going to be re-filled and some new fountains installed instead of a coaster!

thumb_bpbbridge.jpg

thumb_bpbbridgegone.jpg

Thanks for posting these, I hadn't actually realised it was the main bridge through that side of the park that had been removed. I had to check Google Maps. So now to get from Big One to Big Dipper you need to go down to Avalanche and back up again.