• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

Apparently they've been trying out the VR on every other train, for 4 people at a time, on Iron Dragon. I'm very interested in how they're going to account for the swinging and how they're going to keep the video in sync with it.

I don't think it should be an issue if they are using VR Coaster. You can do what you want on Alpenexpress VR and the video is always in sync. You'll just swing through the virtual world and it will track how much you've moved.

:)

And so the time has finally come, I guess this is where the speculation begins!

Mean Streak is getting 'The Axe' on September 16th!

It's been coming for a while, with various markers being spotted around the ride this season. I feel most people are thinking the same thing right now & that is that Cedar Fair are finally jumping on the RMC bandwagon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've seen it has been implied that the whole ride is to be demolished to create space - if that is true an RMC conversion would be ruled out (but not a new build RMC). I hope it is getting the RMC treatment as that would be great for Cedar Point but a new build GCI in 2018 would not surprise me at all.

I'm hoping for an RMC conversion, I've just about recovered from my lap on that thing.

The number of markings on the ride would indicate that some things are going to be salvaged, but that could be a red herring, of course.

From what I've seen it has been implied that the whole ride is to be demolished to create space - if that is true an RMC conversion would be ruled out (but not a new build RMC). I hope it is getting the RMC treatment as that would be great for Cedar Point but a new build GCI in 2018 would not surprise me at all.
It would seem a little odd to shutter it early in the season if they were going to demolish it, but perhaps. It has closed before closing weekend in the past.

Last edited:
It would seem a little odd to shutter it early in the season if they were going to demolish it, but perhaps. It has closed before closing weekend in the past.
Tell that to Towers, closing the Flume a full season before they plan to demolish it. ;)

Cedair Point have sent out media invites for their 2017 announcement on August 18th:

cpbjvppxyaamnrm.jpg

A Soak City expansion is expected with whatever replaces Mean Streak likely to open in 2018.

A waterpark expansion was indeed announced for 2018 but that is not the reason for this post. Mean Streak offically closed over the weekend and Cedair Point dropped another hint at what is to come during the closing ceremony with an employee being introduced as Richard Michael Crosby (i.e. RMC).

Oh well won't you just look at what's turned up at Cedar Point:

image_14243.jpg

Assuming this is related to Mean Streak (which it probably is) then I'd imagine some form of annoucement may not be too far away, even if it is for 2018.

Cedar Point are in the process of removing parts of Meas Streak:

db_2016_1012_MeanStreak011.jpg

db_2016_1012_MeanStreak031.jpg

dsc00017_orig.jpg

And what looks like some new steel onsite:

db_2016_1002_MeanStreakDemo051.jpg

Sources: Screamscape and CoasterForce

Going by the fact that the demolition of Mean Streak seems to be quite a careful operation I would imagie that this will end up being the Iron Horse treatment for the coaster rathen than a new build RMC.

And RMC Mean Streak begins to rise! A few steel bents have been put in place:

14720501_1176230222470081_2095573849385651292_n.jpg

14650766_1176230259136744_3908090249780311229_n.jpg

Source: CP Rundown

I wonder when we will get an announcement? It's a massive project so I would fully expect this to be for 2018 still.

I wonder when we will get an announcement? It's a massive project so I would fully expect this to be for 2018 still.
The timescale they have isn't massively off what Six Flags had to turn around most of their coasters with the RMC projects.

May is quite a way off, especially when you don't have any groundwork to do. I also would suspect they won't want to demolish too much structure in the way Six Flags have done, because it's so iconic.

Either way, 17 or 18, I think it'll be a great addition.

There is certainly a chance that this could be a surprise addition in 2017. I-Box track has now been spotted by Mean Streak:

14690851_1177222402370863_5493865332801585317_n.jpg

Source: CP Rundown

It's always nice to have an ongoing mystery project!

Mean Streak is probably one of the roughest coasters I've ever ridden, was a pity as when I went it was walk on all the time but my body wouldn't take going on it more than two or three times in quick succession.

I-Box track is now in place on Mean Streak:

14962718_10207527461761200_1546292756489367562_n.jpg

Source

Slim chance of some sort of annoucement at IAAPA next week? Surely they're progressing too well with this for it not to be 2017 now, I've totally changed my mind!

One of Cedar Point's webcams was zoomed into Mean Streak for a short period of time and it showed that they are changing the gradient of the lift hill:

img_0628_0.png

Source: TPR

A steeper lift hill should mean a taller lift hill, so the world's first wooden/hybrid hyper coaster is still on the cards!

It has been noted that RMC did say that they had no projects due to open in 2017. Does that mean that we will have to wait until 2018 for RMC Mean Streak or have Cedar Point asked them to keep it quiet for a little longer?

Not sure on the original source of this photo I'm afraid (it's been posted in various places) but it shows how the new lift hill is progressing:

IMG_8116.jpg

Certainly shows that the lift is going to be taller than it was previously!