• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

Let's hope that Cedar Point have enough locker capacity!

They don't, as it turns out - both Magnum and Rougarou had insufficient lockers even when the rides had minimal wait during our visit. The ride entrance host's helpful suggestion - head to the next nearest ride with lockers. Thanks.

Reactions: Rob
Good news, Steel Vengeance has now started operating with 3 trains! However it seems like the throughput is still below 800pph which is not ideal for a hugely popular new coaster.

:)

I fly out next Monday to CP for 4 and a bit days. Also having a day and a half in NYC, where I used to live and work, to meet up with some friends.

Incredibly excited to try out SV, TTD, Maverick and all their other incredible coasters for my first ever time. Shouldn't really be this giddy at 33 years old but who cares right??? :)

So I have gone and made one almighty rookie mistake. Planning on visiting CP next week from Thursday to Sunday and only just noticed they are shut Thursday. Never even checked. 4 days just became 3. Serves me right. Might stay in NYC an extra day now and try and change my hotel booking. What an idiot. Hahahaha

As their season is much shorter because of the cold weather they get in the north I thought they were open from day 1 to final day with no closures. What makes it worse is on the Friday they only open at 6pm too.

:(

Last edited:
Most American parks don't even open midweek September/October time...

Planning trips that include the smaller ones is dreadful outside of peak summer season... Even Halloween events you need to be wary...

Most American parks don't even open midweek September/October time...

Planning trips that include the smaller ones is dreadful outside of peak summer season... Even Halloween events you need to be wary...

I'm honestly so stupid for doing it without checking. However I'm still confident we will fit everything in that we want to and going to get a bonus extra day in NYC which is just fine by me.

Find it incredible that a park that gets 10m visitors a year and opens later in the year than most parks closes a lot of days in September.

Not disastrous for me just have to slightly adjust plans.

I'm honestly so stupid for doing it without checking. However I'm still confident we will fit everything in that we want to and going to get a bonus extra day in NYC which is just fine by me.

Find it incredible that a park that gets 10m visitors a year and opens later in the year than most parks closes a lot of days in September.

Not disastrous for me just have to slightly adjust plans.

The park doesn't get 10m guests a year, attendance is around 3.6m.

When I visited California which was in early Oct the park was only open Fri-Sundays even though it is still Hot and Sunny Weather, making it harder to plan the trip, they have since changed and started 365 opening this year, Knotts is open every day but can see why parks might close mid week even in areas with excellent weather as the park was dead on midweek days at that time of year, all rides were walk on, often only a hand full of people on each ride!.

Really? Thought it was much higher than that. I stand corrected.

3.6m for what they have there seems very low to me.

Outside the Disney and Universal parks these are the top attended parks in America for last year-

Knott's Berry Farm, 4.03 million
SeaWorld Orlando, 3.96 million
Busch Gardens Tampa, 3.96 million
Canada's Wonderland, 3.76 million
Cedar Point, 3.60 million
Kings Island, 3.47 million
Six Flags Magic Mountain, 3.37 million
Hersheypark, 3.30 million
Six Flags Great Adventure, 3.24 million
SeaWorld San Diego, 3.10 million
Six Flags Great America, 3.04 million

Surprised by how low some of them are tbf.

Anyway luckily for me I'm still going to get in everything. Might push the boat out and buy fast track on the Saturday if needed too to make sure I do get all the creds and re-rides.

Indeed, and guest numbers at Cedar Point this year are down by a double digit percentage. Not ideal when they've just got Steel Vengeance!

You should still have plenty of time to do what you want at Cedar Point though Benjsh. I would expect the Saturday to be very busy (you may want to consider Fast Lane if you have not already) but the Friday and Sunday should be fine.

Indeed, and guest numbers at Cedar Point this year are down by a double digit percentage. Not ideal when they've just got Steel Vengeance!

You should still have plenty of time to do what you want at Cedar Point though Benjsh. I would expect the Saturday to be very busy (you may want to consider Fast Lane if you have not already) but the Friday and Sunday should be fine.

Yeah I think I will push the boat out for fast lane plus. It's 85 dollars but how often will I get to visit again? I'm lucky the wife is allowing me a week away without her and the little one tbh as it is.

Quite concerning about the 2018 attendance figures so far. Weather related and SV having teething issues no doubt major factors.

So I’m currently staying at breakers and despite the crap weather this weekend I’ve managed to do all the major rides today.
The fast pass is well organised and very much worth it! Managed to do SV 3 times in 20 mins at the end of the night.
That was the best coaster I’ve ever ridden during the day and at night words can’t even describe how good it is.

Any theories at to why Cedar Point, previously a bulletproof American institution in terms of attendance, is down double digit figures?

No idea, I guess it could be either the fallout from the SteVe incident which was quite well publicised locally. Guest numbers across Cedar Fair parks were up by 5% in August however.

Just waiting for our flight back home to Manchester. Had an amazing 3 days at CP.

Steel Vengeance delivered and then some. 7 rides (including some night rides) in total. My word it's incredible and so so so so much fun. Literally unrelentless. Air time is crazy and the speed is insane through some elements. My new favourite coaster which kinda goes without saying.

Maverick is an incredible ride (my new number 2) but it's not much of a contest between that n SV in my opinion. That's the quality we are talking here with SV.

Millennium Force was brilliant especially on the front row. Had 3 goes in total and 2 on the front.

Top Thrill Dragster scared the bejesus out of me I won't lie. I did Kingda Ka back in 2009 and despite the incredible speed and height I came off slightly underwhelmed by it. However Dragster definitely feels a lot more insane, mostly because of the restraints and feeling free. Unbelievable experience.

So much more I could add but I think it's all been said before. It's a must do park for any enthusiast. It's bleeding hard to get there and can be a bit pricey all in but so glad I made the effort to go. Already planning when I can go back in the future. Sadly due to family commitments won't be any time soon but I will go back for sure.

Last edited:
Now then, this could mean nothing (it is Cedar Point's troll happy marketing team after all) or it could be a hint to a future development. The following poster has appeared at the park:

44407268_1976652205761208_7912472748813713408_n.jpg

Source: CP Rundown

The interesting post is '69-19'. The Cedar Creek Mine Ride opened in 1969, and next year is obviously 2019. So could we see this coaster closing next year to make way for a big new coaster in 2020 (which will be Cedar Point's 150th anniversary year)?

Removing it would free up a huge amount of space stretching from it's location over the water to where Shoot The Rapids and Dinosuar Alive once were. Plenty of space for an epic wooden coaster!

Given they've just done Steel Vengeance, I don't think wood will be on the cards.