• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point - Goodbye Disaster Transport, Hello Gatekeeper

The track has now been threaded through the right hand Key-Hole on the new Entrance Plaza, looking mighty fine I must say!!

28999_414878591929338_1763867222_n.jpg

600742_415211635229367_1673226587_n.jpg

It certainly is unique, it's just a shame that these towers will be pretty much the only head-choppers on a ride/train type that screams out for numerous near misses.

Prometheus said:
It certainly is unique, it's just a shame that these towers will be pretty much the only head-choppers on a ride/train type that screams out for numerous near misses.

It's quite ironic that, thusfar, the best example of the Wing Rider is probably their prototype Raptor at Gardaland - chiefly because of its near misses and proximity to the ground.

Alastair said:
Prometheus said:

It's quite ironic that, thusfar, the best example of the Wing Rider is probably their prototype Raptor at Gardaland - chiefly because of its near misses and proximity to the ground.

Couldn't agree more. Raptor showed the wonderful potential of this ride type and I feel the more recent designs have gradually steered further away from its greatest strengths. A shame.

Another "THORPE PARK Inversion" I see, that now makes 3 of them! I also agree with Alistair, but also add The swarm to that list as I quite like the near misses on it! This wingrider screams "GIVE ME MORE NEAR MISS THEMING!"

alee298 said:
Another "THORPE PARK Inversion" I see, that now makes 3 of them!

I'm not certain, but I think The Swarm is the only one to fully invert 180 degrees before dropping. The Swarm's inversion at the top of the lift looks slightly different to those of Gatekeeper and X-Flight anyway.

:)

Yeah, the swarm rotates to the left but is angled to the right, making it seem more inverted. This and the one on X-Flight rotate and angle to the right.

Shame, because I thought the twist and drop on The Swarm was one of the best parts of the ride!

It's the sort of thing you do in RCT, then feel bad about because it looks unrealistic.

Not any more! :D

They've actually managed to pour and set concrete. Glad to find that some builders actually recall how to do that on large scale multimillion pound construction sites.

This vid is a bit old, but from all those so far I think it is the evocative and gives the best sense of the relative scale of this beast of a ride.

A closed season mass tour for the Great Ohio Coaster Club.

Cedar Point GATEKEEPER Tour w/ GOCC Dec 2012

It also gives a great perspective of the park as a whole - everything looks hoooooooge!

My favourite bit thus far though:

"Because you all have season passes, right?"

"YEAAAAAAAAH!" (Waiting for a breakout of U S A, U S A!)

DiogoJ42 said:
It's the sort of thing you do in RCT, then feel bad about because it looks unrealistic.

Not any more! :D

Makes me feel less guilty about this now :D

7638286362_d95c8a3146_z.jpg

It really is looking very impressive, I imagine the keyholes as near misses will be quite effective since they're one straight after the other. Can't wait to see trains flying through them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There may not be any theming but this really is a thing of beauty! I love the keyhole element, it looks like it could be very iconic for the ride and the park.

:)

I liked the part where he said they have had good weather and are on time... after all those pictures of rain / fog / snow.