• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Channel 4 2018 Alton Towers Documentary

What an utter waste of time. That was little more than a 50 minute advert for the park. Almost zero information was actually included.

Although, quote of the show has to be Nat,
"I came fifty two times in one year". :p

That’s the point. Get more guests in over bank holiday weekend and restore faith in the park. Then they might open for 7 hours a day instead of 6

Bit disappointing really but as we might have expected it was just more marketing than an actual documentary.

Definitely didn't put coaster enthusiasts in a good light though did it? All the featured public were either bullied at school, suffered from depression or REALLY REALLY attracted to a bit of wood. :)

Laughed my head off at the "passion for wood" comment.

It's a difficult balance to strike. They could've made it really technical, gone into great detail about the theming, the concept, design, operations or the maintenance etc and we'd all think it's wonderful... but then it'd just alienate most people out there and that'd be a wasted opportunity.

I actually think it was pretty good for the target audience. My only criticism is it felt a little rushed at the end of the story.

I didn't watch the programme and have no intention of doing so

It's trending on Twitter. A brief flick through what some are saying, there are numerous who 'won't be returning following the Smiler accident', and a few criticisms of Towers for building a new coaster in light of that.

I'm struggling to find anyone saying anything positive to be honest

I enjoyed it. I’m not sure what enthusiasts were expecting to ‘learn’ from this as of course it wasn’t aimed at that market. For the average viewer it did provide some insight.

Personally I was struck by the human element to Alton Towers when it comes to the impact the Smiler incident had on the staff at the park and felt it gave a human side to the corporate face of the park, it seemed quite genuine to me.

I was also surprised at the number of staff who clearly love the park and have an emotional connection to the place, shame that often doesn’t shine through day to day.

It was ok - noticing we didn’t know as enthusiasts but from a general public perspective it was a good advert for the people who run the park, not the big conglomerate that is Merlin.

Would be good if they did a series similar to the one they did on the zoo, Chester I think it was

EDIT are we all that geeky? They didn’t portray the enthusiast community well in my opinion

Definitely think not talking about 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' was a big oversight. The audio is fantastic and really adds to the ride. It was briefly mentioned I think but as a throw away comment.

I didn't watch the programme and have no intention of doing so

It's trending on Twitter. A brief flick through what some are saying, there are numerous who 'won't be returning following the Smiler accident', and a few criticisms of Towers for building a new coaster in light of that.

I'm struggling to find anyone saying anything positive to be honest

Out of interest - why do you have no intention of doing so?

The programme was very positive in the way it was put together.

Nice little program that. :)

6DITGQb_d.jpg

:rolleyes: