• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Out of interest, does Chessington have 2023 season dates yet?

I’m guessing that Jumanji won’t be opening at the start of the season based on that advert, but I could be wrong…

The train for Mandrill Mayhem has been installed on the track:

Intriguingly, the last row of the train appears to be backwards-facing, indicating that we could be looking at a “Brave it Backwards” style offering…

But it’s shuttle coaster.

Guess it means two options for a front row view at least.
That’s a good point that I didn’t think of, but “Brave it Facing the Other Way” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it…

That’s a good point that I didn’t think of, but “Brave it Facing the Other Way” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it…
I'm pretty sure each car has seats facing both forwards and backwards (back-to-back seating basically). JW did say that they had solved the capacity issue of shuttle coasters with Chessington.

I'm pretty sure each car has seats facing both forwards and backwards. JW did say that they had solved the capacity issue of shuttle coasters with Chessington.
It didn’t look that way in the photos above; the photos above suggest that every row apart from the back faced forwards, while the back row faced backwards. I don’t think the seats looked like they were back to back as suggested by some.

That does admittedly make John Wardley’s comments about capacity baffling, though…

It didn’t look that way in the photos above; the photos above suggest that every row apart from the back faced forwards, while the back row faced backwards. I don’t think the seats looked like they were back to back as suggested by some.

That does admittedly make John Wardley’s comments about capacity baffling, though…
Well we won't know for certain until the wrapping comes off. 🙂

On an intriguing side note, RCDB has put a number of stats for Mandrill Mayhem onto the database: https://rcdb.com/20349.htm

They suggest that the ride stats are as follows:
  • Length: 1,246.7ft/380m
  • Height: 65.6ft/20m
  • Speed: 44.7mph/72kph
  • Riders per Train: 24
Based on the Noise Impact Assessment, which stated that the ride’s train would spend 1 minute negotiating the ride track and 1 minute loading and unloading riders, it can be inferred that the ride will dispatch a train every 2 minutes, leading to a theoretical throughput of 720 riders per hour based on RCDB’s 24 riders per train figure.

The 24 riders per train figure was corroborated by the Noise Impact Assessment, and the train appeared to potentially have 6 rows in the recently released photos, so I think it’s fairly likely to be accurate.

Interestingly, RCDB also categorises the Chessington ride and the Legoland Deutschland ride alongside the full-size Wing Coasters, suggesting that the hardware differences between Mandrill Mayhem and something like The Swarm may not be as pronounced as some expect. The reason this is notable is because the Family Inverted Coaster is categorised as a separate model from the full-size Inverted Coaster, so I wondered whether Mandrill Mayhem and Mythica Coaster may be categorised separately to the full-size Wing Coasters.

I'm pretty sure each car has seats facing both forwards and backwards (back-to-back seating basically). JW did say that they had solved the capacity issue of shuttle coasters with Chessington.
No, it's just the last row going by those pictures. You can see the backs of the other rows and they just look like normal back plates, no seats going by the shapes of them.

I have one question.

Do we think that the backwards seats will be free or an upcharge?

I reckon they could be free given that Brave it Backwards on The Swarm was free, to my knowledge.

I guess we can’t rule an upcharge out, though, particularly given that the backwards experience only appears to be one row of the train on Mandrill Mayhem as opposed to the two rows that it always was on The Swarm.

The reason this is notable is because the Family Inverted Coaster is categorised as a separate model from the full-size Inverted Coaster, so I wondered whether Mandrill Mayhem and Mythica Coaster may be categorised separately to the full-size Wing Coasters.
The family inverts have smaller track as the trains are only 2 across seating. That is the reason they are categorised as separate models. These wing coasters don't seem to be much different to the full size ones with regards to the trains still being the same size. If this is 1.1m height restriction then the restraints are likely different to usual Wing Coaster trains, possibly without the vest parts like on the family invert restraints.

I have one question.

Do we think that the backwards seats will be free or an upcharge?

I reckon they could be free given that Brave it Backwards on The Swarm was free, to my knowledge.

I guess we can’t rule an upcharge out, though, particularly given that the backwards experience only appears to be one row of the train on Mandrill Mayhem as opposed to the two rows that it always was on The Swarm.
I don't think it would warrant an upcharge, just for going up the reverse spike forwards, and having a different view. Wherever you sit you do the whole layout forwards and backwards. You get forward and backwards launches wherever you sit. You get forward and backwards inversions wherever you sit.
If it is an upcharge it would be an outrage.

The family inverts have smaller track as the trains are only 2 across seating. That is the reason they are categorised as separate models. These wing coasters don't seem to be much different to the full size ones with regards to the trains still being the same size. If this is 1.1m height restriction then the restraints are likely different to usual Wing Coaster trains, possibly without the vest parts like on the family invert restraints.
Chessington Buzz suggests that the ride will have a 1.4m height restriction with a max of 1.96m and a chest restriction of 51” (roughly the same as The Swarm): https://chessingtonbuzz.com/guide/theme-park/world-of-jumanji/mandrill-mayhem/

They do stress that these are not necessarily final, though, and given that the Legoland Deutschland coaster apparently has a 1.2m height restriction and even Wild Eagle at Dollywood, a full-size Wing Coaster, apparently manages to have only a 50” (roughly 1.25m) height restriction, I would not be surprised if the final height restriction was lower.

It’s interesting that the track and trains are exactly the same as those of the full-size Wing Coasters, though… given that most of the Wing Coasters are well over 100ft tall and reach at least 55-60mph, I do wonder how that track and train design will feel on a vastly smaller coaster like Mandrill Mayhem.
I don't think it would warrant an upcharge, just for going up the reverse spike forwards, and having a different view. Wherever you sit you do the whole layout forwards and backwards. You get forward and backwards launches wherever you sit. You get forward and backwards inversions wherever you sit.
If it is an upcharge it would be an outrage.
I only wondered because things like Enso (a similar “extra” experience) are an upcharge, and the one backwards row on DC Rivals is also an upcharge.

Given that Mandrill Mayhem only appears to have one backwards row as opposed to the two that The Swarm always had, I did wonder whether Chessington might charge to control the demand for it, particularly given that the theoretical throughput for that row will top out at about 120pph…