• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Important to remember that the target market for this ride is not aimed to appease fully grown men and woman.
Of course; this is very true. I’m sure it’ll be a very good ride for the young thrill seekers!

Important to remember that the target market for this ride is not aimed to appease fully grown men and woman.
This is what I would say to anyone who complains about the layout. It's Chessington, they are not going to build an out and out thrill coaster.

This is what I would say to anyone who complains about the layout. It's Chessington, they are not going to build an out and out thrill coaster.

Then why are they building a launched wing coaster with inversions that normally has a 1.4m height restriction?

Wing Riders are quite slow and lumbering at the best of times. I think concern over the layout stems from that. In the current market there's a plethora of options for the family thrill coaster and its genuinely weird we've ended up with the most random concoction coaster.

Besides, a SHUTTLE coaster at a park screaming for throughput is not the way forwards.

Could've built a Vekoma a la Fonix or Lech Coaster for example. Those are not "out and out thrill" coasters and yet are universally praised for being good.

Then why the hell build a ride type that is inherently designed to cater for fully grown men and women? I'll ride with an open mind, but this whole project still baffles the hell out if me.

Then why are they building a launched wing coaster with inversions that normally has a 1.4m height restriction?

Wing Riders are quite slow and lumbering at the best of times. I think concern over the layout stems from that. In the current market there's a plethora of options for the family thrill coaster and its genuinely weird we've ended up with the most random concoction coaster.

Besides, a SHUTTLE coaster at a park screaming for throughput is not the way forwards.

Could've built a Vekoma a la Fonix or Lech Coaster for example. Those are not "out and out thrill" coasters and yet are universally praised for being good.

If Lech Coaster isn’t an “out and out thrill coaster” then what is it? It’s not really a family coaster and it’s notorious for its intense greyout moments.

Think it's now pretty safe to say they've not "solved the capacity problem" through the train design

Ouch. That is not what Chessington need right now. Anything more about 'solving the capacity problem'? 😂
We should also note the word “theoretical” in that statement; the throughput may be different to that in reality.

The theoretical figure of 720pph assumes that the ride loads and unloads in 1 minute/60 seconds. From operations videos I’ve seen of The Swarm, that looks very attainable, and I’m sure that it will probably get somewhere close to that, but you can obviously never tell until the ride is open.

On a side note, that theoretical figure would assume a throughput of 600pph for the regular seats and 120pph for the backwards seats.

We should also note the word “theoretical” in that statement; the throughput may be different to that in reality.

The theoretical figure of 720pph assumes that the ride loads and unloads in 1 minute/60 seconds. From operations videos I’ve seen of The Swarm, that looks very attainable, and I’m sure that it will probably get somewhere close to that, but you can obviously never tell until the ride is open.

On a side note, that theoretical figure would assume a throughput of 600pph for the regular seats and 120pph for the backwards seats.
Still not very good for a park that desperately needs something that is high capacity, although this is a shuttle coaster.

I would also note that Chessington are not capable of dispatching a 24 seater train in one minute, they barely dispatch Vampire in two minutes when I go, if they manage a consistent 90 second dispatch on Mandrill Mayhem then that's 576pph which is what a support ride should be getting not the main attraction.

they barely dispatch Vampire in two minutes when I go, if they manage a consistent 90 second dispatch on Mandrill Mayhem then that's 576pph which is what a support ride should be getting not the main attraction.
That'd be because they no longer have four platform hosts checking the bars and sending the train. The Vampire's trains are some of the longest in the country, it's impossible to send a Vampire train quick enough without having enough staff on the platform. Add typical guest faff to that then you have lengthier dispatch times.

Last edited:
I would also note that Chessington are not capable of dispatching a 24 seater train in one minute, they barely dispatch Vampire in two minutes when I go, if they manage a consistent 90 second dispatch on Mandrill Mayhem then that's 576pph which is what a support ride should be getting not the main attraction.
They are not able to dispatch Vampire quickly for a few reasons.

They can’t send a second train out the station until the first has hit the brake run. Given that she has two lift hills it’s madness.

Guest messing around, vast majority are children and they don’t quickly sit down on the ride and pull their harness down. Same with disembarking, they don’t push the harness down to release if stuck. I’ve seen some being lifted into the seats etc.

They rarely pre-batch riders unless it’s mega busy or only on one train. Doesn’t help the queue move.

With this new coaster they won’t have the problem as it’s bigger height restriction and shorter ride. It will help them. Vampire will still remain as their top attraction.

They’re clearly (and repeatedly) said that it would be a 1.4-meter height restriction during the consultation. Have B&M stated otherwise?