• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Looking at the plans for the Azteca Hotel, other than the similar exterior design the hotel looks to be totally different to the Chessington Resort Hotel (par the connecting bridge over the access road). The plans do look rather grand with the stage area, large restaurant and spacious rooms. If it is executed the same way the Chessington Hotel was, then we can expect to see another four star hotel. It looks as though Zafari Bar and Grill and Swimming Facilities are to be extended at the same time.

The swimming pool is staying the same. They're just expanding the bar. The hotels will join via a bridge on the 2nd floor that suspends above the road.

Jared said:
The swimming pool is staying the same. They're just expanding the bar. The hotels will join via a bridge on the 2nd floor that suspends above the road.
Will the bridge be covered over? And hide the access road?

Just got back from Festive Zoo Days, and have a small review of the event.

I arrived at the Zoo just after 10am and quickly noticed the sheer amount of decoration, you could physically see the decorations in the Hotel from the entrance, there was holly on the ticket booths and garlands on pretty much every fence in public eye. The Zoo Shop and the Sea Life Shop had also received some Christmas related theming. Hocus Pocus Hall was the only attraction open, however most guests seemed more than happy about the offering of the zoo, no one seemed disappointed. Now onto the construction around the resort.

First off is the refurbishment of Market Square for next season with Fun Fort being covered in Scaffolding and Chessington Shop receiving a repaint. The trees and stalls in the centre of the area have been removed as well as the charis. The stone wall dividing Pizza Pasta from the Zoo has been repainted and fitted with what looks like new gates. I can only guess that the area is being overhauled to go back to a more realistic english town, similar to the Stubb's Sweet Shop refurbishment.
P1020873.JPG

Image is taken through the bars next to Adventures Services from the Childrens Zoo.

The Capybaras have been moved to one of the old bird enclosures next to Penguin Cove after it was redeveloped. Some of the old monkey enclosures are still existing but empty, however guests can still view and walk around this area. Further down in monkey and bird garden, the path is blocked by a wooden fence where new enclosures are being built.
P1020871.JPG

(hotel construction can be seen at the back of the photo)

Following the fire at the café, Market Square was closed and hidden behind a banner, this hid the theme park very well and you didn't feel restricted at all as to where you could go. There was some tall fencing hiding the fire aftermath in Trail of the Kings, but by holding the camera at the right angle, you can get a good look at what has happened and what type of damage it has caused. I can confirm that Bubbleworks it 100% ok and has not been affected by the fire (the facade might be but you can't see it), however apart from the chimney and one corner, pretty much all of Creaky Café is gone, and as a result the Transylvania tower has gone into heavy scaffolding, presumably because it has been slightly damaged.
P1020866.JPG

Other, smaller thing have/are taking place, with the Safari Skyway trains all being clogged up from Seastrom (where the track is missing) round to Hocus Pocus Hall, with one train also remaining idle next to the Children's Zoo. Most of Mexicana is in scaffolding but with no work taking place to Runaway Train yet. The Sea Life Centre's roof is having some trouble after being ripped by the storm last Monday leading to large rattling noises and ceiling tiles occasionally popping up. Creepy Caves is also having about five enclosures refurbished as well as a new entrance under construction. Despite the hideous weather today, the staff were all in a really jolly mood (always the case with Chessington) and started the Sealion show an hour early because me and a few people were just standing nearby.
P1020867.JPG

Once again Chessington have managed to put on a very good show with the restricted areas they have open as well as the reduced capacity caused by the fire. It amazed me that managers could provide something so well prepared and jolly even after having what must have been a hellish Christmas following the fire. Next up, African Adventures. :p

Holy Crap people, Dragon Falls re theme has been postponed!!!!! Chessington's statement "Due to the above exciting park developments this year, the Dragon Falls re-theme has been postponed until a future theme park season." Somebody please kill me now! It was looking so promising!!! :( Read about it here: http://www.chessington.com/updates/ and scroll to the bottom of the page!!!!

P.S Sorry for the double post!

BenBowser said:
Holy Crap people, Dragon Falls re theme has been postponed!!!!! Chessington's statement "Due to the above exciting park developments this year, the Dragon Falls re-theme has been postponed until a future theme park season." Somebody please kill me now! It was looking so promising!!! :( Read about it here: http://www.chessington.com/updates/ and scroll to the bottom of the page!!!!

P.S Sorry for the double post!

First of all, calm down dude. Haha. Secondly, I had an inkling this would happen. Reason being that Chessington can then market the ride as new for 2015 ahead of the big investment year in 2016.

Oh joy. Another year of Dragons Falls looking bare. ::)

Tbh, we would have heard/seen something by now if they were doing something to it.

After hearing about Thorpe's news today. This doesn't seem as disappointing.

Not to say it isn't though :/

Wow, another poor show from Merlin. This is pretty disgraceful in my eyes, they're spending £14 million and because of that they're not bothering to re-theme Dragon Falls.

It says it will be re-themed for a "future theme park season", let's be honest, that could quite possibly mean never.

:)

Well there's a surprise, said absolutely no one.

And people call me miserable? I'm just a realist, guys. This is just one of many, many reasons why I no longer own a MAP.

Jared said:
First of all, calm down dude. Haha. Secondly, I had an inkling this would happen. Reason being that Chessington can then market the ride as new for 2015 ahead of the big investment year in 2016.
Swear they said this'd be 2015 at the beginning of last year when they announced the £5m or so "two year upgrade" with falls being the later one to be done.

Or have people forgotten this?

To even dare to open it to the public in that state at all is pretty appalling, never mind for a whole extra season. Disgraceful.

Well, I believe it said '2014 closed season' and no one was too sure what that exactly was.

Well they have said themselves that it has been postponed so it clearly was initially meant to happen over this closed season.

Sam said:
To even dare to open it to the public in that state at all is pretty appalling, never mind for a whole extra season. Disgraceful.
During summer last year, it actually looked quite nice!

Sam said:
Going by that judgement The Flume and Loggers Leap should close throughout the season as well. Dragon Falls is still better themed than most rides in the UK and it's only that final drop that looks somewhat ugly (mostly because of Tomb Blaster's show building in the background).

BenBowser said:
Sam said:
During summer last year, it actually looked quite nice!

I didn't see it during the summer but please, you can't seriously be claiming that? It just looks a mess without the theming.