• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I've got to say, I'm not too disappointed here at all. It's better than I was expecting. I rode Dragon Falls late last year and when you're on the ride, it all looks OK. Not fantastic - I agree it could do with a touch-up - but I'd much rather they plough the money into new stuff.

I used to be annoyed that they seem to have given up adding coasters and rides, but it's a brilliant park in other ways - beautifully themed, and a nice place to spend a day. Try going to Thorpe and spending a day there without going on any thrill rides.

That said:
Rameses Revenge
Currently closed

All the other rides say "re-opening for March 2014". Is this just being left to rust or something? Not that I much care for it - they should dump it and make room for something else.

thefatone said:
Jared said:
First of all, calm down dude. Haha. Secondly, I had an inkling this would happen. Reason being that Chessington can then market the ride as new for 2015 ahead of the big investment year in 2016.
Swear they said this'd be 2015 at the beginning of last year when they announced the £5m or so "two year upgrade" with falls being the later one to be done.

Or have people forgotten this?

This is precisely why I'm mostly unsurprised by the lack of announcement regarding Dragon Falls. That sign has been out since Spring 2013 in the Mystic East area and I even remember seeing it on the South meet we had. It would have been nice if they announced a little sooner but these parks aren't exactly well known for being prompt on social media, which shouldn't be happening at all.

I am disappointed that Falls hasn't been given the same treatment as Runaway Train yet but at the same time, they would have to do a heck of a lot more planning in comparison to RT, which is small in comparison, what with the final drop being the most iconic. So it's plausible that since the reworking of RT into Scorpion Express, eugh, and the recent fire, they would rather give ample time to preparing Falls for its new refurbishment rather than rush it for the next season.

That's just speculation from me but I personally see no point in getting worked up over this.

I'm not sure which is worse, that they're not fixing the theming or that some people seem to be okay with this.

The appeal of Chessington surely comes from the fact that it's a small, quaint park with family rides and high quality theming. Whilst the rides may not be the most groundbreaking or thrilling, there is still the sense that every inch of the place is crafted to create a charming and immersive atmosphere.

If you start removing that, the entire ethos of Chessington is destroyed and you end up with a middling park with average rides. If a large part of the theming is not present, it is damaging to the overall experience. It's that experience that has earned Chessington its reputation and it's what the public are paying for.

Disappointing but unsurprising.

Nick Varney should ensure that money is available for this.

Could it be a case of that they (Merlin) do have the money but just do not wish to allocate it? It's not like this would be the first time Merlin have refused funding for parks. They are already investing quite a bit, theming for one more ride is hardly going to cost them a bomb...

It wouldn't surprise me if Varney went "see how it goes in 2014, if there aren't many complaints then we won't bother funding for theming if the customer satisfaction scores are at our requirements".

Now I know that's a pretty big low to think. Although sadly that's what I've come to expect of Merlin and Varney.

Everything seems to live off the feedback scores, like it's the be all and end all of everything.

Sod the scores, you're meant to amaze and impress and bring in custom that way, not do the bare minimum. All scores do is show that you're doing an alright job or a poor job.

Rowe said:
That sign has been out since Spring 2013 in the Mystic East area and I even remember seeing it on the South meet we had.
There we go then. Chessington have said all long that it won't be redone until this Winter - so we shouldn't be worrying too much.

Of course, I'd prefer that it was redone for this season but at least the plans are there...

I'd much rather the park focus on getting certain areas sorted first in order to get them ready and 'perfect' for park opening. Yeah, I don't like the fact that Falls is going to look horrible for another season but maybe this can only be a good thing.

The only real reason I see this getting postponed is due to them having to allocate more money to the Creaky cafe after the fire, to get it in a fit state for open season.

KingNemesis said:
The only real reason I see this getting postponed is due to them having to allocate more money to the Creaky cafe after the fire, to get it in a fit state for open season.
But unless they're leaving Creaky Cafe until next winter I don't see how the two events are linked.

The whole Falls fiasco highlights just how shoddy the themeing must have become. I know its reiterated time and time again but its so depressing that the rockwork got so dangerous that Chessington needed to remove it, fully aware that they wouldn't be replacing it for two seasons. They clearly had no choice or leeway.

KingNemesis said:
Are they? fair enough then :p I'm not particularly up on my chessington news. I would of though they wanted it up and running asap
Oh no, you mistook what I'm saying. I'm fairly sure they will be working to get it up and running ASAP - I just meant that Falls has always been planned to be re-built during 'Winter 2014' so the fire won't have affected that at all.

Winter 2014 is in some ways open to interpretation but everything that was released by the park concerning Dragon Falls over last year suggested that it would be ready for the upcoming season. If this wasn't the case, why would they say now that the retheme has been postponed to a future season?

Also, the Scorpion Valley retheme which was intended to be carried out in parallel to the Dragon Falls retheme will be completed this year. I think it's pretty clear that the money and resources originally intended for Dragon Falls have been reallocated towards the other projects happening over this closed season.

Remember the Dragon Falls redesign competition from months ago? I'm surprised to say I won it... somehow! I'm only posting that here because it doesn't seem like Chessington are going to publicly announce it or anything - now that the project has been postponed!

In the email Chessington sent me, they confirmed there "is no date set for the Dragon Falls retheme to take place" but that my concepts had been passed on. So whatever plans they once had have now been shelved indefinitely.

I'd be thrilled if they do include an element from the entry I sent, although I would have done a lot more creative planning if this were a real project (I mostly kept it close to how the ride used to be). However, it's not like I'm expecting a massive outcome and I'd love to see what they come up with themselves.

Basically it's extremely kind of them and it made my day. Well done to everybody who sent entries in, it's great when people take part and I saw a lot of great ideas. I kind of wish a child had won it because they'd deserve it a lot more than me! :twirly:

Nice one EB!

But let's be honest, the odds of them doing anything with the ride are slim. :(

electricBlll said:
Basically it's extremely kind of them and it made my day. Well done to everybody who sent entries in, it's great when people take part and I saw a lot of great ideas. I kind of wish a child had won it because they'd deserve it a lot more than me! :twirly:

Oh shoosh, we don't come across many enthusiasts your age who can create brilliant concept art like you did! ACCEPT THAT YOU DESERVE IT (and that you have a starting claim to fame)! :p

electricBlll said:
Remember the Dragon Falls redesign competition from months ago? I'm very surprised to say I won it... somehow! I'm only posting that here because it doesn't seem like Chessington are going to publicly announce it or anything - now that the project has been postponed!

In the email Chessington sent me, they confirmed there "is no date set for the Dragon Falls retheme to take place" but that my concepts had been passed on. So whatever plans they once had have now been shelved indefinitely.

I'd be thrilled if they do include an element from the entry I sent, although I would have done a lot more creative planning if this were a real project (I mostly kept it close to how the ride used to be). However, it's only a fun little competition so it's not like I'm expecting a massive outcome, and I'd love to see what they come up with themselves.

Well Done!!! What was your design like, did it have a story line? Would love to know, infact, Post it on here!

I received a letter from Chris McCormack (Senior Project Manager) that basically said that they were using one big design (probably yours!) and added other features they liked from various other designs to create a final concept. On last thing, did you design include bringing back the lift 2 rockwork? Thanks, well done!

BenBowser :D

They genuinely should close the park for a year, sort everything out then reopen when the place isn't quite as crap.

Rowe said:
Oh shoosh, we don't come across many enthusiasts your age who can create brilliant concept art like you did!
Aw thanks Rowe, I don't think I've ever won anything interesting before but I'd gladly give the prize to somebody else! What's important to me is that riders feel truly entertained, so whatever they do with Dragon Falls I hope they give it lots of character.

BenBowser said:
I received a letter from Chris McCormack (Senior Project Manager) that basically said that they were using one big design (probably yours!) and added other features they liked from various other designs to create a final concept.
Interesting,when did you get this letter? Perhaps this "one big design" is an internal concept to which they are adding elements of the competition entries?

If you're interested I posted my ride script here but here's an overall view of the storyboards, I never finished some of them (ignore the random bits near the bottom):

1011404_1455764621313090_715916540_n.jpg