• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Harvey. said:
They genuinely should close the park for a year, sort everything out then reopen when the place isn't quite as crap.

You need to look at it from a business point of view-Closing the park would lose them far too much money. This would mean that they wouldn't have the finance for the improvements that they need to make and it would put them in an even worse position that before, with no money and no improvements made.

electricBlll said:
Not really sure where to put this, so apologies for this rather long post. I thought I would share the Mystic East plans that I just sent to Chessington, to get more perspective on my ideas. I did it to get more familiar with the ride. It's all quite rushed and I haven't had time to finish the storyboards.

Dragon River is not a very theatrical ride, although there were some Jungle Cruise-style effects when it opened. I've always thought its strong point is in the immersive visuals and peaceful setting, so I have kept my plans simple. The area has to feel authentic and enveloping, yet similarly fictional, so I have done some research on old East-Asian cultures and tried to stylise it.

The ride itself has a very simple layout, but originally this was disguised by the very clever use of bridges and tunnels; I have tried to expand on this idea. In recognition of Chessington's "wild" image, I also wanted to inject some adventure and vibrancy into Mystic East, whilst not affecting the original intentions of the ride.

A rough overview. I drew this from memory and a few photos.

EPSON002_zpsc3db9160.jpg

Visitors emerge from willow trees and foliage on to the edge of a pool, where boats splash down every 10 seconds on the Dragon Falls ride. The central feature of the area is a large rocky outcrop from which two muscular, dramatic reptilian figures have been sculpted, clawing their way over the cliff. From their mouths jets of water spray into the pool below, flanking the drop on either side. Their stone bodies are worn and rough from centuries of weathering, but faint dabs of colour can still be seen across their backs and heads.

EPSON004_zps9545fe8d.jpg

A tiered pagoda tower also stands to the left of the flume splashdown, adorned with hanging bells. Lettering inscribed on the tower signal your entrance into "Mystic East". Lively oriental music plays with drums, chimes and other strange timbres. A long bridge carries visitors over the water and down into the heart of the area. The banisters of the bridge are fashioned into dragon carvings, following Thai tradition, and a pergola structure stands overhead with various creepers growing over it.

Ahead a big grey mountain can be seen, and to the left a huge statue of Buddha [newly painted with an oxidised copper texture to reflect the real Kamakura Buddha it is based on]. To the left of the statue, a waterfall cascades down the mountain and into a pool out of sight. Ancient stone steps are carved into the mountain overhead. The path continues into a cave.

The dark cave interior hides the lift hill going overhead, as moody, watery ambience plays. All around ancient gods and dragons can be seen carved into the walls, dimly illuminated in blue. To the right, flume boats emerge from a tunnel adjacent to the path, hinting at what the ride has in store. Once out the other side of the cave, visitors find themselves next to the familiar painted dragon head and, further on, the Merlion fountain.

The path continues towards a red Japanese bridge. On the left, a small Chinese junk boat sits on the shallow water - its sails yellowed with age. The bridge takes you towards an oriental river-town that appears to be in the midst of a celebration. A softer, more mysterious variation on the music floats through the area.

A wooden restaurant stands on the water's edge, adorned with decorative motifs such as wind chimes and metal lanterns. On its front wall, a large whiskered fish mural is painted across the shutters. Hanging signage proclaims the entrance to the themed seafood restaurant within. [This building is currently the rather worn-out Dragon's Lair arcade, which can be converted into kitchens, then extended to accommodate indoor seating. The jetty at the back of the area, stilted over the water, can become the outdoor seating.]

EPSON005_zps2079ab24.jpg

To the right, the wonderful station exterior is restored and redressed to look more vibrant and mysterious, with the ride entrance returned to the central porch. The building is also partially extended to the left for a new gift shop.

The queue now begins in a highly decorated porch [where the ORP stall now is]. On busy days, riders are directed out a door to the right, into a winding path through a dense Japanese garden of exotic trees, flowers and statues. The queue traverses the flume at two points, over vibrantly painted, arched Japanese bridges, before coming back on itself into the main station. The main station interior is totally redecorated to resemble a large Thai palace, with large suspended lanterns and brass bells. Hazy light streams through small square windows to illuminate the red and gold interior.

The queue goes up the stairs above the ride platform, but now also turns left outside, onto a balcony. The elevated path overlooks the village from on top of the porch, and circles a square palace turret before coming back inside. Elevated queuelines are great - for those just joining the queue, seeing riders who have gone before you standing up high builds a sense of anticipation; plus it will get riders closer to the architecture. From there, steps take riders down on to the ride platform as usual. Riders board the boats, resembling little sampans (Chinese fishing boats), which flow continuously through the channel in the floor.

The ride takes its normal route: under the queue bridges, through a short tunnel under a path, then turning right up towards the first lift. New rockery clads the first lift and drop, replacing what was removed. The boat drops into the mouth of the dragon and into the tunnel, where the sound of mystical chimes is heard echoing. As riders turn the corner into darkness, an illuminated waterfall appears directly in their path, threatening to soak them. At the last second, the lights go out and the water is never felt. [This is an effect that used to be in the tunnel, it's the oldest trick in the book but could still be effective].

The tunnel opens up into the ancient caves area, where the statues can be seen and riders can interact with pedestrians walking through. By extending the tunnel, the Terror Tomb warehouse is also hidden for longer. The boats eventually come out in view of the Kamakura Buddha, before beginning the winding stretch through the trees. I decided to liven this moment up by adding an animatronic crocodile that unexpectedly snaps and splashes a bit of water from the bank of the water channel. [I believe this was also an effect in the original ride, although short lived].

The boats emerge behind the seafood restaurant, with all decoration restored, and complete a U-turn back towards the mountain. The waterfall from the mountain cascades down into the pond in this area. The ascension begins...

The boats climb up the steep mountain path, as various old flags and banners are strung from wooden beams overhead. An old hut stands at the summit of this mountain, in which a big brass bell and wooden ram hang. As riders reach the top, they pass through this hut, the ram becomes activated and rings the bell.

EPSON006_zps2834ecab.jpg

The boats gently complete the U-Turn above the Terror Tomb building. I decided it would be too impractical to disguise the roof of this building. Also, enclosing the flume would take away any feeling of freedom or vulnerability as you float high in the air.

Eventually the flume turns towards a large rocky outcrop, and the stone tails of the two reptiles come into view. The boats pass the large back legs and bodies of the sculptures, before being lifted up and over the edge of the cliff. The moderately exciting drop is made slightly more interesting by the powerful jets of water spraying out in front of you.

After the splashdown, the boats exit the pool past the pagoda tower and under the bridge, coming out next to the stilted seating area of the seafood restaurant. One final surprise comes in the form of a pneumatic baby Thai elephant, which stands on a plinth some distance to the right, spraying water about wildly and flapping its ears. [A new elephant to replace the broken one] The boats then re-enter the palace station and a ride host awkwardly offers their hand to help you get out, as usual. You exit through a small gift shop, where you can buy your ORP and some Dragon River merchandise.

Alternatively, just restore everything that was removed. The end.
Jesus Craps! That design is fantastic! Your drawing skills are very admirable. Better than the original! :p

electricBlll said:
Interesting,when did you get this letter? Perhaps this "one big design" is an internal concept to which they are adding elements of the competition entries?
I got the letter in very early November. And at risk of sounding like a stuck up ten year-old, I only received it because my dad has connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Does anyone have anymore info on the annual pass days at Chessington 15/16th March.

Spoke to them today and they had no info at all. I've never been in previous years, what's open can u just turn up or do u have to pre book?

Thanks

The full park will be open, bar any delays to ride construction etc of course.

You need to pre-book your tickets. Tickets aren't available to book yet, but will be closer to the time. Keep an eye on their Facebook page for more details.

Just found these logos on the Chessington website for Scorpion Express and Amazu.

scorpion-express.jpg

Scorpion Express' sexy new logo

amazu.jpg

And Amazu's funky logo.

I personally love these new logos, especially SE's one.
In other new chessington have said that Africa and Tomb Blaster will be open for african adventures, interestingly enough however, Zufari appears not to be, could this mean the ride is having some work???

Last edited by a moderator:
Those logos do look rather nice - particularly the one for Scorpion Express!

Zufari is most likely not open due to the climate keeping the animals mostly indoors I would have thought. If the animals don't want to come outside it makes for a rather pointless ride to have open.

electricBlll said:
OH NO, it's gone from the website?!?!?!

Has it burnt down or something?
I know it sounds obvious but I was simply pointing out the inevitable that they clearly have no current plans to rebuild it for the start of the season.

Well no because they have to rebuild the thing first... No point having it wasting space on the website when they know full well it won't be open for several months if at all this year...

It's not even news is it? "Restaurant that burnt down taken off website because it won't be open for a while"...

New Chessington advert, telling us that the Azteca Hotel will open in August, nice final image of the park. Although they have used footage for previous adverts, still showing Count's Cauldron and the Dragon Falls stone heads. A much better marketing technique than in previous years, although it doesn't say anything about Scorpion Express of AMAZU. Hopefully they will have their own adverts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWkvCX3pb4#ws

I wonder where they possibly got the idea of a final shot like that in a theme park TV ad...

;)

Just to clarify... This 'new hotel' (extension), is proposed to open in about 5 months time?

... Have they actually started building it yet?

Sammy said:
Just to clarify... This 'new hotel' (extension), is proposed to open in about 5 months time?

... Have they actually started building it yet?

The shipping containers are set to arrive this week! ;)

On a serious note, I have no idea! You would assume that they have and if it is going to open in 5 months you'd think it would be a significant way down the line.

:)

I'm led to believe that no vertical construction has taken place yet...

And that Scorpian Express will continue the trend of bland, uninteresting cattlepens...

EDIT: Removed controversial comment. Please refrain from saying something like this in the future as it is not mature.

KingNemesis said:
1511532_10152139556954035_1456343035_o.jpg

Interestinnngg....
Well the castel is definitely looking the best it has for years. Do you have any pics of the Fun Fort or Chessington Shop? Also how did you get this image?

BenBowser said:
Benzin said:
uninteresting cattlepens... Probably because of that stupid little child falling down from Tomb...
That is really harsh, the girl was holding the fence when the panel fell through, not her fault at all, just poor maintenance from the DIC era.

Was that the actual case though? I mean I find it highly unlikely that a 5 year old could hold onto a piece of fence with so much force that it would fall and take her with it... Especially given that there were two horizontal bars across the individual vertical fencing...

The most likely scenario was that she was climbing on the fence and it came off... And as a result we will never see an interesting raised queue at another UK park in the world again... Although I do like how the new fencing has resulted in MORE children climbing them...