• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Press is out for the new rides, confirming much of what we already know

84BDC14C-9CC8-409D-9F93-FAA2E1376B5B.jpeg

What we didn’t know is that Mandrill Mayhem will indeed only have a 1.2 m height restriction - it appears there will be a new lap restraint style to allow this.

Full article : https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-o...ook-chessington-world-adventures-25986904.amp
I am very pleased about that 1.2m height restriction; Mandrill Mayhem will likely become many peoples' first ride that inverts! Seems a sensible height restriction for a park like Chessington.

Scott O’Neil, CEO of Merlin Entertainments, which operates Chessington World of Adventures Resort, said:
“We look forward to Welcome-ing you to the Jungle this spring, as the amazing World of Jumanji opens at Chessington World of Adventures Resort. Families should prepare to be turned upside down… literally, as the first NEW rollercoaster in nearly 20 years at the Resort has a twist, turn and flip that will have you holding on to your seat! This is the Next Level for families wanting to explore the ultimate adventure together.”
Interesting comment from the new ceo. The bit in bold is hardly a flex, but just highlights the woeful investment in the park under Merlin’s ownership 😂

Very glad about the height restriction being 1.2m - the restraints appear to be modified from looking at the concept art at least…
9B7F7C40-53D0-4640-9C32-CED64C7ADB3D.jpeg

Ahh so there is going to be no vest on the restraints, excellent! Really not a fan of the B&M vests.

However, what is the point of having the final row on this backwards? You are going to go both forwards and backwards anyway. All this will do is cause an unnecessarily long queue for the final row.

Are they going to lay the same pathing down as in those concept art mock-ups of the flats? Would be awesome if they did as it looks great. Would make their terrible new entrance with its plain tarmac look even more silly up next to it. Mind you, no way are the Mandrills on the coaster going to look like that.

So glad merlin used a bit of common sense and didn’t stick a 1.4 coaster in. Granted they missed the mark regarding capacity but I suppose it’s Merlin, can’t have it all.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, the Wing Coaster in Legoland Deutschland apparently has vests with a 1.2m height restriction, so I wouldn’t necessarily take the concept art as confirmation that this doesn’t have vests.

I’d be very happy if this didn’t have vests, though, as I’m not a huge fan of the B&M vest restraints.

The 1.2m height restriction is good news, though; it should help the coaster appeal to a wider audience of young thrillseekers!

Chessington just announced it on their socials, but eagle eyed explorers will notice that it's exactly the same as in the press. That's because it was released to them at midnight last night 😂

Chessington just announced it on their socials, but eagle eyed explorers will notice that it's exactly the same as in the press. That's because it was released to them at midnight last night 😂
That's generally how press releases with embargos work. They'll have had the press releases sent before midnight, but will have only been able to publish it at the specified time.
In regards to it being the same, it'll have saved the marketing/PR team time re-using the same copy that, in fairness, they were the ones to originally write in the first place.

That's generally how press releases with embargos work. They'll have had the press releases sent before midnight, but will have only been able to publish it at the specified time.
In regards to it being the same, it'll have saved the marketing/PR team time re-using the same copy that, in fairness, they were the ones to originally write in the first place.
That's interesting, but I got an email from theme-parks-uk about their article on it at quarter past midnight.

That's interesting, but I got an email from theme-parks-uk about their article on it at quarter past midnight.
The embargo could have just been they could only publish on the 17th January, but Chessington thought they would get better engagement on social media if they post after 8am. Wheres theme-parks-uk felt as they send email notifications the timing of the announcement is less relevant as they aren't expecting people to like and share.

Maybe it has got vest restraints and this is just some persons idea of making it look arty farty? The concept art also shows actual fur on the Mondrils which we know isn't going to happen. The riders are also smiling and I don't think they'll have much to smile about after waiting 2 hours in the inevitable slow moving queue to get on the damn thing.

We also have confirmation that the area won't be opening with the park at the start of the season, and will most likely be some time in April.

From the website.
"World of Jumanji themed rooms are open from Saturday 1st April 2023, ahead of World of Jumanji opening in the theme park."

Interesting comment from the new ceo. The bit in bold is hardly a flex, but just highlights the woeful investment in the park under Merlin’s ownership 😂

Very glad about the height restriction being 1.2m - the restraints appear to be modified from looking at the concept art at least…
9B7F7C40-53D0-4640-9C32-CED64C7ADB3D.jpeg
The restraints will probably be the same as the family inverts, they're like the regular ones but don't have the vests;

images_sliders_family01.png

Maybe it has got vest restraints and this is just some persons idea of making it look arty farty? The concept art also shows actual fur on the Mondrils which we know isn't going to happen. The riders are also smiling and I don't think they'll have much to smile about after waiting 2 hours in the inevitable slow moving queue to get on the damn thing.

They might have had RAP so only had to wait an hour instead.

Kind of amazed at the quality (or otherwise) of the graphics for the concept art for the Jumanji-themed hotel rooms. Doesn't it look like a point-and-click adventure from the early 2000s? Can't help wondering if these are just early mock-ups that were only ever intended to be shared internally.
WOJ bedroom1.jpgWOJ bedroom2.jpg
(Images from ThemeParks UK)

Last edited: