• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
All of those things sound like expected side effects to me. Read them all here. Flu like symptoms can be as many as 1 in 10.

Symptoms can vary though. I know of two people in their 80s who've been vaccinated and had no side effects at all. My parents in their 60s had differences too, one with no symptoms and the other just feeling awful for 24 hours.

I don't always think it's helpful to discuss side effects though as it can put people off and increase vaccine hesitancy. It is after all a vaccine for a very virulent and potentially life threatening disease so some minor side effects are to be expected.

All of those things sound like expected side effects to me. Read them all here. Flu like symptoms can be as many as 1 in 10.

Symptoms can vary though. I know of two people in their 80s who've been vaccinated and had no side effects at all. My parents in their 60s had differences too, one with no symptoms and the other just feeling awful for 24 hours.

I don't always think it's helpful to discuss side effects though as it can put people off and increase vaccine hesitancy. It is after all a vaccine for a very virulent and potentially life threatening disease so some minor side effects are to be expected.

100% agree. Get the vaccine if you're offered it - do not hesitate. I felt so relieved when I got mine. Moreso because I'm my mum's main carer and if I came down with Covid I can't look after her.

There's normally a long list of Boogie Man side effects with every injection and medication and they normally bounce off me so I don't even bother reading them. I went to work the next day as I thought it would be the same with this jab. Wish I hadn't and will be planning a day off after my second. Felt like it wasn't worth it as I'm very unlikely to get seriously ill by contracting Covid anyway whereas this jab, I now know, is guaranteed misery in a syringe. I wouldn't have gone if I didn't think they were going to implement a vaccine passport at some point and my GP telling me that the vaccine will go to waste otherwise.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Getting the vaccine isn’t only about protecting yourself from COVID; while that is a large part of it, you getting vaccinated also indirectly protects others, as you’re less likely to spread the virus, therefore cutting the virus’ potential transmission chain and leaving it with less opportunity to infect someone who might not be able to fight it off the way you can. It also indirectly helps these vulnerable people because it substantially reduces the likelihood of you going to hospital, therefore meaning that there’s less strain on the NHS, and those who need it will have easier access to better-quality care.

The way I see it is that a vaccine administered to a person benefits the wider community as much as it does themselves; even though you yourself may be at very low risk of contracting the virus and getting severe disease, getting the vaccine might help save someone else who is at far higher risk.

I’m not sure when I’m going to be able to get my vaccine; I’m still waiting on the release of some more Pfizer dates after the cancellation of my first appointment (which ironically, was due to be today!). However, as soon as I get the opportunity, I fully intend to get my vaccine, as I personally think that the benefits of COVID vaccination hugely outweigh the drawbacks. Even though I see myself as very low risk even without a vaccine, I would still like to get it ASAP in order to protect others and accelerate the path back to normality for all of us, as well as to give myself a little reassurance when out and about that I’m not inadvertently spreading the virus asymptomatically.

However, that might not be the case for everyone, so I think it’s up to you to make that choice, really.

Getting the vaccine isn’t only about protecting yourself from COVID; while that is a large part of it, you getting vaccinated also indirectly protects others, as you’re less likely to spread the virus, therefore cutting the virus’ potential transmission chain and leaving it with less opportunity to infect someone who might not be able to fight it off the way you can. It also indirectly helps these vulnerable people because it substantially reduces the likelihood of you going to hospital, therefore meaning that there’s less strain on the NHS, and those who need it will have easier access to better-quality care.

The way I see it is that a vaccine administered to a person benefits the wider community as much as it does themselves; even though you yourself may be at very low risk of contracting the virus and getting severe disease, getting the vaccine might help save someone else who is at far higher risk.

I’m not sure when I’m going to be able to get my vaccine; I’m still waiting on the release of some more Pfizer dates after the cancellation of my first appointment (which ironically, was due to be today!). However, as soon as I get the opportunity, I fully intend to get my vaccine, as I personally think that the benefits of COVID vaccination hugely outweigh the drawbacks. Even though I see myself as very low risk even without a vaccine, I would still like to get it ASAP in order to protect others and accelerate the path back to normality for all of us, as well as to give myself a little reassurance when out and about that I’m not inadvertently spreading the virus asymptomatically.

However, that might not be the case for everyone, so I think it’s up to you to make that choice, really.
I'm curious where people here sit on the vaccine passport debate, I'm mixed.

I was reading an article the other day (or it was in the Zoe app) which showed the Oxford vaccine does produce a lot more side effects particularly in younger people than the Pfizer one due to the nature of the vaccine (the Oxford one works in the same way as a flu vaccine, the Pfizer doesn’t)

I'm curious where people here sit on the vaccine passport debate, I'm mixed.
I’m not 100% sure, myself. While I appreciate that a system of this kind would allow certain industries to operate in a more economically sustainable manner, I also think it might be a little unfair to penalise those who don’t want to get the vaccine or can’t get the vaccine for any particular reason. I can fully understand that people are concerned about the vaccines, so I’m not sure if penalising people based on these concerns, or based upon reasons why they can’t get the vaccine, would be the most ethical idea.

This kind of thing is a bit of an ethical minefield, and does bring up quite a few questions and hurdles to overcome.

I would perhaps be more supportive of the idea if some alternative to proof of vaccination was allowed to be offered. For example, if you hadn’t been vaccinated, I think it would be a good idea to offer a lateral flow test, so that you could prove your safety and gain access without needing proof of vaccination.

I’m not 100% sure, myself. While I appreciate that a system of this kind would allow certain industries to operate in a more economically sustainable manner, I also think it might be a little unfair to penalise those who don’t want to get the vaccine or can’t get the vaccine for any particular reason. I can fully understand that people are concerned about the vaccines, so I’m not sure if penalising people based on these concerns, or based upon reasons why they can’t get the vaccine, would be the most ethical idea.

This kind of thing is a bit of an ethical minefield, and does bring up quite a few questions and hurdles to overcome.

I would perhaps be more supportive of the idea if some alternative to proof of vaccination was allowed to be offered. For example, if you hadn’t been vaccinated, I think it would be a good idea to offer a lateral flow test, so that you could prove your safety and gain access without needing proof of vaccination.
Problem is lateral flow tests don't come close to providing a negative only a likely positive.

Problem is lateral flow tests don't come close to providing a negative only a likely positive.
It does provide some indication, however, which is certainly better than nothing. I read that they’re up to 80% accurate, which isn’t bad at all!

Interesting news from the CDC, so far the UK are very "nope" in response to asking about similar rules in the UK.
New US guidance says fully vaccinated people can meet without masks - BBC News

Probably because the US have 30 million people fully vaccinated (according to that article) whereas we have just over 1 million people who have received a second dose (and unsure as to how many of those have had 2 weeks since the second dose). By the time a relatively significant proportion of our population have had a second dose (likely to be early to mid May for all over 70s) then restrictions should have started to be eased here anyway.

There's normally a long list of Boogie Man side effects with every injection and medication and they normally bounce off me so I don't even bother reading them. I went to work the next day as I thought it would be the same with this jab. Wish I hadn't and will be planning a day off after my second. Felt like it wasn't worth it as I'm very unlikely to get seriously ill by contracting Covid anyway whereas this jab, I now know, is guaranteed misery in a syringe. I wouldn't have gone if I didn't think they were going to implement a vaccine passport at some point and my GP telling me that the vaccine will go to waste otherwise.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The side effects you have seem to be either the very common or common side effects. I'm fully expected the same assuming I get the AZ vaccine and although it might not be nice for 24-48 hours it sure as hell would be better than contracting the virus and potentially have the same, if not worse symptoms, along with the risk of long Covid. You may be at low risk of becoming seriously ill from Covid but that does not mean that you are at low risk of getting pretty horrible symptoms for a week or so! Plus as Matt says, it is not just about protecting yourself. The more people that get vaccinated, the sooner we can look forward to normal life returning.

As for vaccine passport, I think they are inevitable when it comes to international travel for the next 2 or 3 years at least. I do not have a problem with them, so long as they do factor in those who cannot have the vaccine for medical reasons. And if the idea of the encourages more people to take the vaccine then even better in my opinion, even if that may be a questionable opinion!

The only exception for vaccine passports should be for the immunocompromised or those who can’t be vaccinated for whatever reason. It’s the fairest way of going about it. The only bit about getting the vaccine that I was nervous about was the needle going in, and in the end, I could hardly feel it! I got lucky and had only very mild side-effects, but I know others have had worse ones. Still, I think we’d all rather have that discomfort for a short while and have much greater protection from coronavirus than risk contracting it and having to deal with long COVID!

Like @Matt.GC I had crappy 24 hours after it but it was nothing like the COVID I had last year and Saturday was mostly manageable with paracetamol and the odd power nap. Great point by @Jonathan , I barely felt the needle too.

On the Sunday I was shifting furniture with no issues other than a dead arm. I know of 4 others who have gone through similar things but ultimately its short term pain for long term gain. As @Rob and @Matt N have already pointed out its for the greater good.

In the past 2 days a long standing post-COVID issue I was having with GI and breathing seems to have cleared up significantly and my head has felt better than it has for nearly six months. This may be coincidental and possibly a drop in anxiety though.

I get your point @Alsty but I am seeing a more people in my inner circle with AZ specifically having headaches, general malaise/tiredness and achy-joints for a short period. I think its fairer to say, yep you might have a yucky day tomorrow but you probably won't and even if you do it will be miles better than catching COVID. Surely its better to be transparent?

On the plus side my mum confirmed from the batch number that the vaccine I received was from where she is working and that its very likely she had some involvement in it :D A weird comfort!

I get your point @Alsty but I am seeing a more people in my inner circle with AZ specifically having headaches, general malaise/tiredness and achy-joints for a short period. I think its fairer to say, yep you might have a yucky day tomorrow but you probably won't and even if you do it will be miles better than catching COVID. Surely its better to be transparent?
My point wasn't that the side effects should be brushed under the carpet, but rather they need to be taken in a balanced context. They need to be seen against the backdrop of what Covid can do.

However I do think if everybody on social media starts posting about how awful their experience was, it will not encourage others to have their vaccine and it also just gives ammunition to anti-vaxxers. I'm not sure such comments are helpful or add anything to the discussion.

My point wasn't that the side effects should be brushed under the carpet, but rather they need to be taken in a balanced context. They need to be seen against the backdrop of what Covid can do.

However I do think if everybody on social media starts posting about how awful their experience was, it will not encourage others to have their vaccine and it also just gives ammunition to anti-vaxxers. I'm not sure such comments are helpful or add anything to the discussion.

Ah apologies, my mistake! Balance is indeed key :)

That is really cool! And kudos to your mum for the work she is doing! :D

Thank you Rob. The faster I can thank her with a big hug the better :)

If vaccine passports are inevitable, then they should only be used once everyone who is able to has had an opportunity to have a vaccine. I'm concerned something like this could come in and younger people could be severely disadvantaged. Those age groups have already had their freedoms greatly restricted, despite statistically being unlikely to be severely affected by the virus. Those restrictions on freedoms were to protect the vulnerable, and I don't feel it's fair for them to make further sacrifices while those who are older would be able to go about and do so much more. I really do fear it would cause a hell of a lot of trouble if it were to come to that. The arguments over who is where in the queue is heated enough as it is, without something like that becoming a tipping point and it boiling over.

Re: "vaccine passports", the EU is proposing a Digital Green Pass. This would be vaccination status or proof of a negative test for those who cannot be vaccinated.

This gets around the problems outlined by Craig as those who have been unable to get vaccinated (or who are unwilling to get one) are not precluded from travel. However it's likely to be more onerous for the non-vaccinated as presumably the tests would need to be arranged at your own expense within a certain timescale prior to travel.

Also related, Thousands sign petition against vaccine passports. It's obviously a controversial subject so it's likely they will have to provide alternatives. Personally I'd be happy for those who've refused vaccinations (for non-medical reasons) to be excluded from air travel and other high risk activities until they become an adult and take their responsibilities to others seriously, but that's just me...

Last edited: