• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
This may have already been mentioned previously but hasn't the uptake in the Bolton area been low compared to other regions too? Is there any reason why this is?

I have seen that in a news article, but local vaccination rates are not published on government dashboard so I am not too sure quite how it compares to other similar areas.

I still think it is interesting, and encouraging, that when you look at this chart of the dashboard for Bolton the over 60s rate remains lower and has even gone down in the past couple of days whereas the under 60s rate is increasing rapidly. That would indicate the impact of vaccinations.

Even if the government had stopped flights from India when the new variant was discovered it would still have been too late. By the time a new variant is identified it will have been in circulation for several weeks (maybe months) and most likely already travelled to the UK.

You're right, it would have got in at some point but at the same time we can't stop travel forever. However, it's been shown time and time again that quick and decisive action can reduce the impact of spikes in infection rates, especially when it comes to new variants which are more susceptible to spreading. We have been told of a focus on making decisions off the back of scientific data. Yet, weeks ago we saw Pakistan added to the red list but India left off despite cases being in a far worse situation. It was another case of politics taking precedence over the overwhelming scientific data.

I do feel like the reaction to Indiant variant has been a bit much, considering, unless I've missed something, there's nothing to suggest it escapes vaccines. We are in a much different position to say early December last year as we have given doses to 35m people.

You're right we are in a much different position, it's not panic stations, but it's right to be a little concerned and to not underestimate the potential for an impact to things. Like the South African and the Kent variant before it, there is always panic mainly fuelled by our wonderful media (check The Mirror's homepage right now with its headline "Find Out The Danger Where You Live" right now). Data can be scarce on the effects they can have, and it takes time for the science to make an evaluation, especially when they come from areas of relatively low vaccination such as India. Thankfully, vaccines do seem to be working against it, but at the same time the efficacy for a vaccine isn't 100%. With so many people still unvaccinated, and still a percentage of vaccinated people who could still be affected by it, it's not something we should allow to run rampant. So while I don't think we should be going back to nationwide lockdowns, the government should be pulling out all the stops with surge testing, vaccination changes and if absolutely necessary further restrictions in badly affected areas.

This may have already been mentioned previously but hasn't the uptake in the Bolton area been low compared to other regions too? Is there any reason why this is?

There's likely a few reasons for this. First up, outside of London, Bolton is one of the most deprived areas in the country. The areas where the cases have exploded in the south side of the town are predominately home to a large proportion of South Asian residents. Vaccine hesitancy is already an issue within these groups, and couple that with a large percentage of multi-generational households in the area, it's been a perfect storm for infection rates to rise so quickly. That's probably then resulted in a spread to schools and employers in the town, which has then resulted in the case numbers we're now seeing.

I'm panicking that they will push-back the May 17th unlocking. Locally in the affected areas is a good Idea, but not nationally. With only, 3 days to go, it won't be fair on pubs, cafes, restaurants and indoor attractions who have spent weeks preparing to open fully, especially those that don't have outdoor spaces so are still closed. Plus I've just booked a Towers visit for the 23rd and a slot at my local cat cafe for the 25th (the latter is still closed as they don't have outdoor space and can't do takeaway service). I'll be gutted if I have to push those back. :(
Add to that the fact that I haven't seen my best friend for over a year, and we're hoping to meet up after I've had my second covid shot (she had hers last week).

Last edited:
This is going to go down like a lead balloon on here and maybe I should just press delete but I don’t agree you can completely blame the government for the current problem as international travel for pleasure has been illegal since Christmas.
Certain communities have to take some responsibility here, they aren’t all going to India for business purposes so therefore have been breaking the law and our useless border force don’t question anyone for fear of been called racist.
If international travel was allowed for certain reasons (and it a big argument if it should of been) then it should of been policed properly, the problem is too many of these left wing state institutions like the border force have been too busy trying to score political points and embarrass the government rather than do their jobs.

On local lockdowns it’s pointless unless it’s done properly, it has to be immediate and no one in, no one out, then it works.

This is going to go down like a lead balloon on here and maybe I should just press delete but I don’t agree you can completely blame the government for the current problem as international travel for pleasure has been illegal since Christmas.
Certain communities have to take some responsibility here, they aren’t all going to India for business purposes so therefore have been breaking the law and our useless border force don’t question anyone for fear of been called racist.
If international travel was allowed for certain reasons (and it a big argument if it should of been) then it should of been policed properly, the problem is too many of these left wing state institutions like the border force have been too busy trying to score political points and embarrass the government rather than do their jobs.

On local lockdowns it’s pointless unless it’s done properly, it has to be immediate and no one in, no one out, then it works.
Plus certain communities are more reluctant to have the vaccine.

I'm panicking that they will push-back the May 17th unlocking. Locally in the affected areas is a good Idea, but not nationally. With only, 3 days to go, it won't be fair on pubs, cafes, restaurants and indoor attractions who have spent weeks preparing to open fully, especially those that don't have outdoor spaces so are still closed. Plus I've just booked a Towers visit for the 23rd and a slot at my local cat cafe for the 25th (the latter is still closed as they don't have outdoor space and can't do takeaway service). I'll be gutted if I have to push those back. :(
Add to that the fact that I haven't seen my best friend for over a year, and we're hoping to meet up after I've had my second covid shot (she had hers last week).

I wouldn't worry, it is extremely unlikely that the easing scheduled for Monday is going to be pushed back. They made revise advice regarding social distancing guidelines between family and friends but everything scheduled to open on Monday will open on Monday.

I wouldn't worry, it is extremely unlikely that the easing scheduled for Monday is going to be pushed back. They made revise advice regarding social distancing guidelines between family and friends but everything scheduled to open on Monday will open on Monday.

I hope so but don’t like the fact Boris has called a press conference for 17:00 today.

Isn't that when the daily briefings normally happened anyway? I wouldn't read too much into it, really.

Without wanting to speculate too much I would imagine that the briefing is to give an update on the Indian variant, maybe revise the social distancing relaxation guidance and to act as a reminder to remain cautious as of next week and not act as if it has suddenly gone away.

You might want to visit Specsavers mate...

Todays press conference will be a load of nattering about the fact that the new variant is spreading easier and to promote what the goverment is doing to stop it.

Also each and every one of us have to stake personal responsibility by following the social distance, mask wearing and hand washing rules to stop the spread of any variants as well as keeping those all those that haven't been vaccinated safe or where the vaccine isn't 100%. Over the past five weeks of venturing out, all I can see is that social distancing and proper mask wearing has completely gone out of the window.

Sad state of affairs that we still have people not bothering. Trips to Asda have been awful over the past few months so we usually completely avoid weekends atm.

But there's not much staff can do when they're often confronted with aggression for... Reasons?

I'm very much looking forward to cinema and carvery this week though. Plus getting my second jab so don't have to worry about that side of it anymore. But will still wear masks and try and distance accordingly until it's all over.

A few transport operators like arriva UK bus are already saying they expect to have passengers sitting next to others come Monday.
Said poster.
4d8700a73702229385e8a55e6af3087e.jpg

Said poster.
4d8700a73702229385e8a55e6af3087e.jpg
First South Yorkshire are increasing capacity on their busses from Monday as well, although the email didn't say about potentially sitting with others. Obviously everyone has the right to ask people not to sit next to them if they don't feel comfortable or haven't had the jab yet.

Last edited:

Travel wasn’t restricted to business, you could travel for other reasons too. The government knew this and still didn’t plug the gap.

Sad state of affairs that we still have people not bothering. Trips to Asda have been awful over the past few months so we usually completely avoid weekends atm.

But there's not much staff can do when they're often confronted with aggression for... Reasons?

I do wonder how much it's just "because I don't want to" and how much it's the people who genuinely believe it's some kind of massive conspiracy (because, again, reasons?). Someone has put stickers on all the streetlights along a couple of miles of public footpath near me, going on about how it's all lies and we've become a society of "muzzled cowards". I'm not entirely sure how it's possible to be that far removed from reality and still function within society but there you go.