• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I was always more concerned that the time frame of reopening would be unfair on those who hadn't been able to even get the first dose of vaccine.

Bit unfair on the youngsters who have been the main workforce in a lot of industries that remained open and customer facing.

Perhaps if we'd erred with such caution after the initial lockdowns we wouldn't be in this situation. As good as it was to go out for birthdays last year the hordes of people clearly didn't help buy extend the problems. But mistakes were made at the end of it and we are paying for it one way or another. Mostly because no one in the government appears to be culpable for mistakes these days.

I was always more concerned that the time frame of reopening would be unfair on those who hadn't been able to even get the first dose of vaccine.

Bit unfair on the youngsters who have been the main workforce in a lot of industries that remained open and customer facing.

Perhaps if we'd erred with such caution after the initial lockdowns we wouldn't be in this situation. As good as it was to go out for birthdays last year the hordes of people clearly didn't help buy extend the problems. But mistakes were made at the end of it and we are paying for it one way or another. Mostly because no one in the government appears to be culpable for mistakes these days.
They shouldn't have been pushing till just a few days ago such high confidence of unlocking as scheduled.

They shouldn't have been pushing till just a few days ago such high confidence of unlocking as scheduled.

Unfortunately any decision that might make the government seem unpopular is left until the last possible moment so its the only viable option.

This clearly works given the current poll leads they have.

yes I never thought the 21 June date felt realistic for removing all restrictions. Now that only those over 25 can get the vaccine it right to wait. Opening up night clubs without first allowing young people the option to be vaccinated seems like it would an incredibly stupid move.

I think in many sectors the economic impact is unrelated to the UK restrictions and its tourism that is the bigger issue combined with the move away from office working.

Looks like it’s confirmed that the full lifting is to be delayed until 19th July (presumably provided nothing goes drastically wrong). This date in particular is expected because by then, it is hoped that 2/3 of adults will be fully vaccinated, which should drive down the spread as well as the level of hospitalisations and deaths.

They also confirmed that two doses of the vaccine is still “highly effective” at preventing hospitalisation with the Delta variant; the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96% effective, while the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective. That bodes well for the easing of lockdown once more people have been vaccinated.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t bank on the goalposts not being moved again by July 19th.
“Let’s wait another 3 weeks until every adult has received a first vaccination” then it will be “only four more weeks and all adults will be fully vaccinated” and then “we only have to wait another 4 weeks until everyone over 80 has received the new booster jab” and on and on and on.

Control has been given too easily and it will be very hard to get it back now, there was no valid reason for continued restrictions today in any of the actual figures, just more selective statistics on percentages whist ignoring the actual hard figures.

With the images coming from the G7 summit with no social distancing or masks on. I would of thought they would of said theatres could open with mask and enhanced hygiene.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Sorry @jon81uk but I copy and pasted the so called "restrictions" that have been extended from your excellent and informative post earlier as they're so lame and unnoticeable I couldn't be bothered to look them up. These have been hilariously referred to as "Lockdown" restrictions by lazy journalists:

The main restrictions still in place are groups of six for indoors and table service at bars/restaurants. Also socially distanced low capacity at theatres and cinemas and night clubs remain closed.

Yes, there are some nonsense rules that no sod knows about on top of those (probably), but for all intents and purposes, there are virtually no realistically enforceable restrictions on what the general populace do other than international travel being banned. On top of that, it's also been announced today that there will be no further financial support for business that have to comply with the law.

This is modern political theatre in it's very worst form. All Borris has done today is reverted to type and announced hyperbolic nonsense that has almost zero substance. Is anyone here fooled by this?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Almost comical it's now being reported that COVID symptoms are easily confused with those of hay fever or the common cold. Rubbed my eyes yesterday, must be COVID!

Things really have gotten daft.

So what does this actually me?
Is work at home still the case? Can employers now force people to return to the office?

Asking for a mate ;-)

Despite the low deaths and hospitalisation rates stable, what the data don't show is those suffering from long covid
Or the ppl committing suicide due to loosing jobs not keeping up with payments.
Mental Heath issues caused to children.
Or patients getting appointments postponed and any deaths that may be caused.
Damage to education and implications of that
Etc
Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the ppl committing suicide due to loosing jobs not keeping up with payments.
Mental Heath issues caused to children.
Damage to education and implications of that
Etc
Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are 100% right, the scientists only talk about COVID deaths and effects but the mental health issues of these continued lockdowns is far worse.
We now have a generation of mental health issues, I know of 4 teenagers (close friends of my daughter) with severe eating disorders, 2 of whom ended up in hospital for weeks.
Non were suffering before but endless months locked up in their bedrooms we can only imagine the damage this has done.
It was funny missing school for a few weeks but after 15 months of continued school disruption no one is laughing anymore even the most ardent of teenager.

So what does this actually me?
Is work at home still the case? Can employers now force people to return to the office?

Asking for a mate ;-)
I know my office recently has been ramping up the shift before mine of who's In the office but i think that's mostly agency staff not work from home staff returning.

That is caused through NHS staff being diverted to other duties due to covid admissions and vaccinations. All Jess' essential routine hospital appointments as well as essential dentist check up (teeth are all part and parcel of her bone condition) have ceased since covid and looks like the back log could run into years. Missing these essential appointments can have serious consequences.

Any more rises in covid case numbers which leads to an increase in hospital admissions, will exacerbate the NHS backlog. We already will have a negative legacy left from the NHS backlog, without adding to it

The extra 4 weeks lockdown for most of us, will only affect our face wearing and social distancing which is pretty non existent. The real people that the extra 4 weeks lockdown are going to hurt, are those in the theatre and night club business. Night clubs have not been allowed to open since covid and many have already ordered stock in ready to open up for the 21st. These business are already on their knees and the extra few weeks might be the final straw for them.

For most of us, it's only 4 more weeks, for the hospitality businesses, it is a matter of the survival of their lively hood.

We might have very much been able to lift the restrictions on the 21st if the government lock down borders properly when the case rises in India started to show, but also if each and every one of us took the responsibility to follow the covid rules. I was out yesterday, social distancing, hand washing, proper face mask wearing were all pretty much non
existent.

Out of interest, where are people going when they say social distancing/mask wearing etc. is pretty much none existent? I would say mask wearing in all indoor settings that I have been in over the last few weeks has been very good, and on the whole people are attempting to maintain social distancing (in some settings it can be more difficult but if it is only for a few seconds I don't think that particuarally matters).

Maybe I live in and visit more compliant areas of the country than others!

Out of interest, where are people going when they say social distancing/mask wearing etc. is pretty much none existent? I would say mask wearing in all indoor settings that I have been in over the last few weeks has been very good, and on the whole people are attempting to maintain social distancing (in some settings it can be more difficult but if it is only for a few seconds I don't think that particularly matters).

Maybe I live in and visit more compliant areas of the country than others!
Agree with this - mask wearing whilst indoors is great around here - near 100% compliance, in fact far better than last year. I do sometimes wonder if all these people with arms in the air about "poor mask wearing compliance!" are talking about outdoor open spaces, where it's not really necessary.