• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
How come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A colleague of mine, their mum was in intensive care for months with Covid.

She is counted as a survivor.

She is still not fully recovered, her entire lifestyle will have to change (for example moving to a bungalow, she has left an active job role as she isn’t able to carry it out).

Long Covid is a life changing condition. But she is counted as a survivor. Just because people aren’t dying doesn’t mean we should stop doing everything in our power to suppress Covid (especially when the vaccine is so easily accessed)

Sound like we need another column to the NHs data showing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The long Covid deaths are picked up by the ONS stats as they are based on death certificates. The NHS stats are designed to give a quick idea of the trends happening now hence the 28 day rule.

The death rate for Covid is not the only issue, you also have the wider impact on the health system and more deaths from delayed treatment.

On a separate note the data is showing some promise that we are close to getting vaccine induced population protection so maybe normality of some description isn’t too far away

Interestingly, data on vaccine effectiveness (Pfizer and AZ vaccines are actually more effective against hospitalisation with the Delta variant than with previous strains) was apparently not spoken about at the last meeting: https://apple.news/AN1Y8MdTvR8CKSyTBKuvrRQ

I’d say this certainly bodes well for step 4 going ahead on 19th July, as the population has mostly been vaccinated, and the full effectiveness will have kicked in by then.

So not content with Delta variant it looks like India might next be exporting the new and improved “Delta Plus” variant

https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavir...d-in-india-symptoms-strain-1818149-2021-06-22

Ps. Anyone find it strange how quiet things are over in China? No news of infection rates, death rates, or even if they have these new variants….

That report seems a little muddled in whether each section is talking about a new mutation on delta or the original delta variant when discussing vaccine evasion. If the latter (which the wording seems to suggest) then their data is out of date (it quotes numbers similar to some early numbers calculated in the uk but these have since been revised upwards).

China controls its messaging, it will be quiet (also probably has low infection rates as they control their population heavily).

The data for China can be found at Worldometers. The rolling seven day average is 22 daily infections, and no deaths have been recorded since April last year. They have not had a second or third wave.

Whether you believe it or not is another matter...

Ps. Anyone find it strange how quiet things are over in China? No news of infection rates, death rates, or even if they have these new variants….

Very strange, they should be on our red list basically forever until it can be proved the data they are giving is correct.
They basically let it run rampant without telling anyone, that was the biggest factor in it spreading to the rest of the world.
It’s almost certainly from a lab and may or may not of been an accident but they sure have done very well out of hiding it like they did, it should really be treated as a war crime and China facing huge sanctions.

I am uneasy with the whole China situation, but that is easy to say sitting at a desk in the West with no real insight. I know that when they lock down they really do quite literally lock down, which is extremely effective at stopping spread of any virus. But no deaths at all since last April? No resurgence at all despite numerous mutations around the world that make it easier for the virus to spread? Something does not sit right.

Then it is amusing when you get your NHS home testing kits, all made in China. Any commercial masks that you buy, made in China. I know pretty much everything is made in China anyway but it just makes you wonder how much China has benefited from this (they may not have, I don't know).

To me it would not be a huge shock if one day it came out that this did leak from a Chinese lab. Accidental leak would be more likely than deliberate in my opinion.

It is now thought that face masks and social distancing laws will be gone from 19th July, and replaced by “personal responsibility”, as it is now thought that the link between cases and hospitalisations has now been broken: https://apple.news/ABFrlWdZ7Tt28AOCGH0Mxrw

Ministers are said to even be hopeful of a potential early easing on 5th July, but 19th July is apparently more likely.

I am uneasy with the whole China situation, but that is easy to say sitting at a desk in the West with no real insight. I know that when they lock down they really do quite literally lock down, which is extremely effective at stopping spread of any virus. But no deaths at all since last April? No resurgence at all despite numerous mutations around the world that make it easier for the virus to spread? Something does not sit right.

Then it is amusing when you get your NHS home testing kits, all made in China. Any commercial masks that you buy, made in China. I know pretty much everything is made in China anyway but it just makes you wonder how much China has benefited from this (they may not have, I don't know).

To me it would not be a huge shock if one day it came out that this did leak from a Chinese lab. Accidental leak would be more likely than deliberate in my opinion.

I think between coronavirus and the shipping tanker issues the world has woken up to the issues of depending on China for global manufacturing.

They are certainly hiding the Covid impact, that is less to do with obfuscation of foreign powers (they know our governments will have their own intelligence in that) and more to do with internal propaganda (look how good our communist ideals have been at keeping our citizens safe etc).

As for the lab theory, there is nothing about the virus that screams man made, and I doubt it’s a deliberate release (why would you release it in your own country when you could easily do so in another). That said I really wouldn’t be shocked at all that it was an accidental release of a genetically modified virus from a lab. To be honest whether it was lab cultures or from a natural source it’s human action that allowed it to jump to us either by genetic modification or invading more and more natural space exposing us to more novel virus’s

Regardless of whether it is lab or natural China failed to contain it and we certainly need greater global efforts to minimise their influence in the world.

Regardless of whether it is lab or natural China failed to contain it and we certainly need greater global efforts to minimise their influence in the world.

Absolutely 100% and we can all do our bit. When you pick up an item, look where it is made. If it’s China, see if you can get a similar item which is made somewhere else. Granted some things you can’t buy unless it’s from China but we can make a start.

I had to buy a new microwave the other day and was determined to not buy one made in China. Was a struggle I won’t lie but found a few websites which indicated which makes and models were made elsewhere.

Was in Next and saw some shoes, hidden inside the tab was “made in China” so they went straight back on the shelf and I bought some elsewhere made in a different country.

Imagine if we could move all these industries back to the U.K. Surely we can make clothes, and shoes, and toys. Ok they might cost a quid more but the country would benefit from all the income from the businesses and the people being employed. It’s a no brainier to me.