• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
In rather worrying news, we've now skipped the 4000s completely in terms of number of cases and are now at 5,018, up substantially from 3,983 the previous day. I suppose this is the official figure, however; the actual figure could be far higher.

On my FB feed I have 2 glaring posts next to each other. One from an ex school friend who has been to Snowdon then a beach party and another post who has just lost a parent to COVID-19. (Both Snowdon and Barmouth were rammed apparently) to see such selfishness next to someone pouring out their heart out is insane.

Some idiots are going to be shocked when the numbers shoot up but as long as they had a good day out flying kites and buying ice cream o_O

All the war time stories of "Stiff British Upper Lip" or togetherness feel like poppycock or we've really regressed as a society :(

So many people going out because it’s essential to go feed the ducks with the little ones and why not take nanny as well.
to go sit and have a picnic with others.
To go and have a walk around the market.
To nip in to costa for a take away coffee,
to wander into Greg’s for a steak bake,
to sit and chat to others about how buggered it all is

:(

:banghead:

But didn't they say it was ok to go out to get exercise as long as you're keeping a distance from other people? I don't see any harm in people who live in a household all going out together to the park. The problem is mixing with others, touching and handling goods and money that others are touching etc

Main store at work was looking even worse today, though to be fair, a delivery had literally just arrived on the loading bay as I finished my shift. One plus point is it's given people a chance to give the shelves a good clean. I still stand by what I said yesterday in that the store's in a worse state than it's ever been at Christmas. My colleague was telling me of how she saw a full-on cat fight between two grown women in Morrisons yesterday over two loaves of bread - it's simply vile. People are slowly learning how to swipe their own Nectar cards, which is helpful, though I'm still saying it at what feels like a thousand times a shift. :p

But didn't they say it was ok to go out to get exercise as long as you're keeping a distance from other people? I don't see any harm in people who live in a household all going out together to the park. The problem is mixing with others, touching and handling goods and money that others are touching etc
So all the people I saw in town today as I ran in and out of the bank were essential most seamed in no hurry. Not bothered being close to other mixing and mingling. Browsing all the things on the market. All the food and veg.
All the pretty things to buy

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson in Mother's Day warning amid concern for NHS https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51991887

The problem is places like Snowdonia today was so busy that the Mountain Rescue Service were concerned they wouldn't be able to do their jobs properly.

Local walks in large open spaces should be encouraged but I guess thousands of people showing up at the usual tourist hotspots are going to cause issues.

kJJu6mh_d.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51988877

We've come a long way in a month ... quite naive in a lot of ways. It's not even that the suggestion was made, it's more than there weren't a ton of people in government, or otherwise to jump on it and suggest we should be vigilant.

London would be ready to host the 2020 Olympics if the outbreak of the coronavirus forced the Games to be moved from Tokyo, Shaun Bailey, the Conservative candidate for mayor of the British capital, has said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ver-coronavirus-mayor-candidate-idUSKBN20E0OK

I went out to buy some food today in my local highstreet and everyone was flocking to the beach drinking beers sitting centimetres away from each other. The bar only got away with being open as it was outdoors. How is that social distancing? These people clearly aren't taking this seriously enough.

I think some people are just seeing it as an ultra extended 80% paid holiday for x-amount of months conveniently as the weather is starting to get nicer. People will always try to take the mickey with things like this. It's probably why the government won't currently give large handouts to every self employed person. How many people in the building trade etc would just take their thousands from the government and then just carry on taking cash in hand jobs at the same time, effectively getting double pay?

Take it from someone who is self employed and worst case scenario will loose everything, work has stopped, we are not being paid, not having any kind of income guarantee, some of us will have to work cash in hand jobs just to earn enough to be able to buy a loaf of bread because we're getting fuck all from anybody else.

But don't you worry, you'll continue to get your 80% of your wage so it doesn't matter and heaven forbid the Government do anything to actually help the trades that will be dragging this country back out of Boris's ditch when this is all over, no no, can't help them becuase they might do cash in hand jobs while the rest of the country goes on an extended holiday to the beech.

Many will say "but can't you live on £97 a week?" and yes I can, but many of these people cannot due to having financial commitments relating to their business, So when this is all over and there are no plumbers, electricians, brickies etc. left to fix the country, don't blame us and remember who it was who was considered most important at the time the country fell apart.

Edit sorry Barry but you are not the first person I've seen to sugest this and it's so frustrating because when this is all over and there are no brickies, no electricians, no plumbers, no driving instructors, no delivery drivers left because we're all bankrupt due to not getting any help, you'll have nobody else to blame but yourselves.

Last edited:
Whilst the government handouts have been very good so far, I do think that they might have been better off just giving every citizen a cash payment of around £1500 a month or something. This helps people on payroll and also self employed. It would also be good for me as I still have to go to work full time to get my wages instead of being able to sit at home or go to the park and still get paid. Suppose I'll just have to suck it up though and be glad I still have a job.

I edited to clarify but yes, that is what the government were advised to do (give everybody £6k to live on for the quarter, but they ignored that in favour of protecting wages) so when this is over and wage subsidies stop, the companies will let their staff go anyway, you already saw what is to come if you looked at what say Richard Branson did with his staff when this all started.

The number of self employed who have been left out in the cold is not many, like 3-5 million people, in comparison to the 25 million that have just had their wages guaranteed, if they gave every self employed person even £500 a week it would be a drop in the ocean to the what was it they estimated? £300bn wage subsidy cost per month.

If it's any consolation, I think they will do something for the self-employed this week as they are under a lot of pressure (the government and the self employed). If you're self employed and it's now impossible to work or against the government social distancing advice then I can absolutely see why you feel like you've been left behind. They may need to introduce strict measures to ensure that tradesmen are still not going about doing cash in hand jobs though as that's basically defrauding the government.