• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Yeah I must apologise for generalising the young as being irresponsible, the old are just as bad, just experienced the same as @Dar.

I still don't think confining people to their homes is the answer though, at some point you've got to let people be responsible for their own actions and if they kill their family, then that's their own fault and they should have listened.

with no new cases in China, South Korea reporting lowest number of new cases, and now this from Germany..

:nomouth:

is there light at the end of the tunnel for this

:disappointed:

"Germany's infection curve may be flattening - health chief

There are signs Germany's infection curve - reflecting rise in the number of cases - may be becoming less steep, according to the head of the country’s public health institute.

"We are seeing signs that the exponential growth curve is flattening off slightly," Lothar Wieler, president of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for disease control, told reporters.

"But I will only be able to confirm this trend definitively on Wednesday. But I am optimistic that the measures are already having an effect, which is very early because they have only been in place for a week."
"

EDIT~
:(:(:(:(

Posted at 16:2116:21
BREAKINGCoronavirus pandemic 'accelerating': WHO chief
The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) says the coronavirus pandemic is "accelerating".

Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “It took 67 days from the first reported case to reach 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000 cases, and just four days for the third 100,000 cases.”

He said he would address G20 heads of state and government this week to ask them to work together to boost production of protective gear.

Last edited:
In a way @bluesonichd; as strange as it sounds to say it, acceleration is sort of a good sign, because it means that we're probably nearing the peak. I'd imagine that the only reason that the pandemic is now accelerating is because of all the outbreaks in Europe and the western world (mostly Europe) within the last week or so; Europe is now the epicentre of the outbreak, remember. I'm hoping that we might see it slow again now that we are starting to take more drastic action, and I'm sure that it will begin to slow within time in countries that have locked down, like Italy, Germany, and France. In fact, @GaryH's stats about Italy and the article you posted above about Germany show that it is already beginning to slow in some of these countries.

In terms of other countries, an American epidemiologist reckons that the USA's peak will be within the next 30 days. The USA has apparently started to lock down certain states to an extent.

Not that anybody here has been stockpiling toilet paper (I hope), but this site calculates how long your toilet roll stash should last:
The Poop Tool

That site say's that the average person goes through 1 toilet roll every 12 days, what a load of bull. They certainly didn't take into the account a wife and a teenage daughter that seems to go through 1 toilet roll each per toilet visit.

Italy has reported another drop in infections and deaths this evening.

This is all well and good..... But what about when the lockdowns are released again..... I guess it will be freedom.... Lockdown... Freedom.... Lockdown..... Etc so hospitals can cope throughout the next 12 months.

As for Germany it would be great if infections are dropping because they haven't had to implement such Draconian measures. Their rates are due to extensive testing and some of the best healthcare in the world.

Our death rate quite frankly is shocking for the number of cases recorded.

Listening to MPs debate the bill to "protect us"
you could be sectioned for mental health by a single Dr who doesnt even know you :confused:

:weary:

In a way @bluesonichd; as strange as it sounds to say it, acceleration is sort of a good sign, because it means that we're probably nearing the peak.

would be nice to think that but all my optimism has gone away again.. :coldsweat:

This is all well and good..... But what about when the lockdowns are released again..... I guess it will be freedom.... Lockdown... Freedom.... Lockdown..... Etc so hospitals can cope throughout the next 12 months.

thats what Hunt has just said in Parliament, :(

we are never going to be free

As for Germany it would be great if infections are dropping because they haven't had to implement such Draconian measures. Their rates are due to extensive testing and some of the best healthcare in the world.

Our death rate quite frankly is shocking for the number of cases recorded.
With regards to the second wave you're worrying about, China has started to ease its measures, has been doing so for a decent amount of time (maybe a week or two?) and they have not seen an exponential rise in cases like everyone predicted. All of their cases they're getting now are either imported or have links to foreign travel. Community transmission in China now seems pretty much non-existent.

A thing to take into account with regards to Britain's death rate is that there are likely far more cases out there than the official figure. Also, some of the people dying might well be dying of something else and just so happening to have coronavirus at the time of death, so it gets logged as a coronavirus death.

As for Germany it would be great if infections are dropping because they haven't had to implement such Draconian measures

Erm, it's arrest and fine if found in a group of three or more, or not walking two meters apart (even if family), essential travel only (not quiet as draconian as France and Italy where you need permission to be out, but it is still more draconian than what we have).

A thing to take into account with regards to Britain's death rate is that there are likely far more cases out there than the official figure. Also, some of the people dying might well be dying of something else and just so happening to have coronavirus at the time of death, so it gets logged as a coronavirus death.
I now have an example of this to provide; the 18-year-old who died yesterday apparently died of "severe underlying health conditions" that they were being treated for, and the positive coronavirus test the previous day was merely coincidental and is not believed to be the cause of their death.

:(
anxiety levels increasing rapidly, I know the lockdown is coming, but when it does and our freedom is taken away :(

just because of the stupid people