• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Well I'm not sure this will help but whatever, it should have been done three weeks ago anyway.

Most importantly, still no help for the self-employed, so that's five million people expected to live on fresh air for the next three weeks, the cost of which giving a ubi to pales into insignificance compared to the overall weekly wage guarantee bill now (to give self-employed £300 a week would cost £2Billion a week, guaranteed wage bill is going to cost somewhere around £15bn a week).

While you're all sat at home twiddling your thumbs, any chance you could email your MP and point this out to them?

Oh well, glad I got out today for a bit of fresh air when I could, 1984 here we come.

Definitely two weeks too late. Wonder what effect it will have though, will everyone not essential stay in or will people say well he said we could go out and exercise and didn’t specify a time limit...

Already seen on twitter idiots saying things like I’ll go on 10km walks because he said I can

New measures announced tonight feel more like a change of phrasing rather than a change of policy.

Want to exercise? You still can.

Need to go to work? Fine.

Shopping? Can do.

The language is much stricter though, clearly there is annoyance with those not complying with the existing measures.

I think some assistance for the self employed will come, tonight wasn't the time to announce that. The infrastructure to support the self employed is not as readily available as it is for those with PAYE employment. If they announced it too soon without appropriate depth and clarity, they would be hung out to dry for that too.

Interesting to hear responses from Tin Foilers on Twitter how Draconian the measures are. People don't realise how much glorious freedom they have until it's taken away, albeit temporarily for a noble cause.

Well thanks to this virus my work is now shut for three weeks over the Easter holidays too which is usually a busy period. Sad times. It's for the best though, we had customers today that weren't even distancing and going beyond the barrier we set for them to stand behind. It was inevitable this was going to happen when people weren't taking measures as small as that seriously.

Bad form to quote yourself, but (page 1) two weeks infectious, without symptoms, was always going to be difficult to contain.
Gammon killer.

A consecutive drop in cases in Italy and hopefully a bit of respite on their health system.

Also a consecutive drop in deaths. The plan is working and Italy is flattening the curve.

Extreme measures but hopefully now lives are being saved, Italy can start looking at an exit Strategy :)

New measures announced tonight feel more like a change of phrasing rather than a change of policy.

Want to exercise? You still can.

Need to go to work? Fine.

Shopping? Can do.

The language is much stricter though, clearly there is annoyance with those not complying with the existing measures.

So can I still go to the field and fly a drone alone?

Maybe I should ask advice from @pluk since he is on the frontline, so pluk, I want to exercise by walking up a mile long track to a patch of grass a mile from the civilisation, while I'm there, I want to sit down and exercise my eyes while I watch a drone fly around, then once done I will go back down the track to my car to go home.

So, and I won't quote you on this, but what is your take on this, as a frontline officer, have you been given guidance on what to do if you come across a single person walking down a path? What guidance have you been give, if we can ask?

I mean, I would have thought that the overwhelmingly obvious answer is that walking = exercise = ok, flying a drone =/= exercise =/= ok :p

Fingers crossed Italy are coming out of their peak period now. Spain are probably in the middle of theirs and we are entering ours. Going to be a rough few weeks here but we will get through this. Positive thoughts needed now.

I think some assistance for the self employed will come, tonight wasn't the time to announce that. The infrastructure to support the self employed is not as readily available as it is for those with PAYE employment. If they announced it too soon without appropriate depth and clarity, they would be hung out to dry for that too.

Interesting to hear responses from Tin Foilers on Twitter how Draconian the measures are. People don't realise how much glorious freedom they have until it's taken away, albeit temporarily for a noble cause.

I like your Matt like optimising but that twit of a London Mayor said he had already gone to bat for the self employed and was told yesterday they still had no plans at all to help them. The infrastructure is already there, HMRC know who is self employed and who isn't, they can then cross check that with "Small Business Rates relief" records and those self employed not in receipt of SBRR get the self employed allowance. They don't even need to ask for bank account details as they already have them, and where they don't, they send cheques. You only get Small Business Rate Relief is you operate from a business premises, so in that case can get the £25k grant.

But I'd like to suggest that because the self-employed are the demographic least likely to vote (a stat I saw once) that they are not a priority to help.

Paying people's wages is a lot more complicated to setup because the employer is expected to pay the wage, then claim back the 80% from HMRC, who will then check that against PAYE records from February to check no funny business is going on, at present, despite what has been announced, there are no mechanisms in place for business to apply for the rebate (or even the grants for small business).

Last edited:
Went for a scan at the local hospital yesterday...scary place.
Usual big door closed.
Bouncer on the side door..."Papers?"
Very few people on the long walk, lots of masks, lots of seats marked do not use in the waiting rooms.
Stretcher case runs past, five people in all in big face masks.
Body swerves everywhere.
Anyway.
Discover over breakfast that most of todays work cancelled by Boris.
Time to garden my own patch for a change.

I mean, I would have thought that the overwhelmingly obvious answer is that walking = exercise = ok, flying a drone =/= exercise =/= ok :p

Well thanks, but I'd actually like to know what @pluk would do if he came across me opening a locked gate to enter the field from the road? (Say he happened to drive past in the squad car).

Just for clarity, I'm not intending to go flying it's a theoretical question, I have a nice indoor drone and plenty of projects that can keep me occupied, but my wife went stir crazy after three days indoors so she will need to get out regularly.