• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
What this needs is a few young people, with no underlying medical conditions, to die, the more famous the better, preferably (as a famous person will attract more attention, not saying I want celebs to die lol, a television presenter would be ideal, someone people can relate to).

I'm sorry to sound crass but at this point I think only this, or stumbling across dead bodies while out on their jollies will make people take notice. I've been universally panned by what I considered to be friends for going to the field to fly my drone, the closest I get to another human is about a mile, I can even get to my car without coming within 50m of anybody else - if I am being irresponsible doing that, then why is it fine for the same people to go to the seaside on a jolly?

I'm honestly rapidly loosing patience with people, you go out only if you absolutely need to, not because the sun is shining, it's not rocket science, I'm not planning to go out again until Wednesday, I've got plenty to keep me occupied, hence why I say maybe what this whole problem needs is a few young famous people to die.

Only trouble is that's a decline from yesterday, which means new cases are still being reported, in a country that has practically had everybody locked indoors for a month - either their enforcement of the quarantine isn't good enough, or it isn't working.
Sorry mate, but I could never say this needs a few young people to die. They may or may not be ignorant, but they do not deserve to die. They have their lives ahead of them. I’m pushing 50 and would rather die first.

The stocks in shops are still dangerously low which is quite scary. People are even queuing outside butchers and high street shops now here. Supermarkets must be laughing with their income but I fear the mass purchasing will only get worse.

The stocks in shops are still dangerously low which is quite scary. People are even queuing outside butchers and high street shops now here. Supermarkets must be laughing with their income but I fear the mass purchasing will only get worse.
Shops around here seemed to be greatly recovered today - still far from perfect, but far better than the last week or so.

Looking at friends comments on Facebook, the same was true in other parts of the country.

Hopefully things are on the up, if for no other reason than people who are going to stockpile stupidly, have done so, and won’t have room left for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main store my petrol station's attached to is looking SLIGHTLY better today, but not by much. No milk or bread at petrol whatsoever. Because we've got no milk, we can't have the Costa Express machine running, but I'm not fussed about that. One less thing to worry about cleaning. :p

Sorry mate, but I could never say this needs a few young people to die. They may or may not be ignorant, but they do not deserve to die. They have their lives ahead of them. I’m pushing 50 and would rather die first.

Then, with respect, you're an idiot for saying you'd rather die first because your death will not mean anything, the whole problem here is the vast majority of the younger generation (under 30) think they are immune because of their age, if a few high profile youngsters catch the virus may be the only way they will learn that they are not immune and are making things worse by ignoring social distancing.

What you're effectively saying is you'd rather die so the random stranger who went to the party at the weekend, and mingled with 50 other people all while you were sat at home watching repeats of Murder She Wrote being sensible as asked (my example from the weekend lol), can live becuase their irresponsibility of going to the party and catching the virus, then passing it on to you after, wasn't their fault and they don't deserve the blame....

Come on, we gotta stop this "little Johnny didn't mean it he doesn't deserve the blame" excuse for idiocy especially when it's someone in their thirties being irresponsible and causing people in your/our generation to die as a result, just becuase they wanted to go to that party st the weekend instead of staying home like the rest of us did.

If you are vulnerable, you should be self isolating.

You shouldn't be impacted at all if younger people (and it isn't just younger people!) are flouting the rules.

In fact, the only impact that that should be having is in helping to build up the herd immunity discussed previously (a policy that seems to have been abandoned now).

Vulnerable groups shouldn't be putting themselves at risk. They should be self-isolating.

So no, I don't think a few healthy young people dropping dead would be helpful at all. In fact, it would be extremely worrying, considering that this virus hasn't generally done that, anywhere, up until now.

Things seemed a bit better when I nipped into a shop today, masses of toilet roll. Not sure if that is the shops responding to the demand, or the demand dropping off now everyone has 242 rolls under the bed.

Demand is dropping off because of that and also because most people haven't been paid now for 3-4 weeks. People will be running out of money.

Next weekend's shopping is going to be horrendous after payday. I'm thinking of doing mine the day before most people get paid just to beat the madness.

Just a thought...... so China, Italy, Spain etc... do you think it is spreading a lot more in these places because

(a) more people use public transport than here in the UK (bus, tube)
(b) cities and to some extent villages have a high concentration of apartment blocks and balconies (think cruise ship) so it spreads between people in these type of buildings a lot easier
(c) in places like Italy and Spain (and France) people are a lot more social, greet with a kiss on the cheek etc whereas in the UK we tend to prefer a hand shake

May be totally wrong, but London and parts of Birmingham are the hot spots at the moment, which, in turn have high levels of the above (except c).

Here in the majority of the UK people live in separate houses, with separate gardens etc. I may be totally wrong, but provided people are sensible and dont gather in large groups, we may be able to lower the spread in the UK outside the major cities....

If you are vulnerable, you should be self isolating.

You shouldn't be impacted at all if younger people (and it isn't just younger people!) are flouting the rules.

In fact, the only impact that that should be having is in helping to build up the herd immunity discussed previously (a policy that seems to have been abandoned now).

And that's the exact attitude that will see us under full quarantine by the end of the week.

Just because you are young and not in a high risk group, does not mean the social distancing rules don't apply to you.

It's not brain surgery people, it's common sense and if the younger generation need to start dying before they take social distancing seriously and following the advice instead of ignoring it, then so be it, at this point I am totally beyond giving a crap about people's feelings, stay 2 meters away from people you do not live with, or we will all end up locked up like prisoners and your moaning about your rights being taken away will fall on very deaf ears. I should not have to lock myself away because you dont want to follow the social distancing advice, yes I agree it is not just young people doing it, but by far it is the majority.

@GaryH yes this is my theory too.

Last edited:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...alls-first-time-several-days-europe-lockdown/

Well it's a start, hopefully this is a sign of Italy starting to get to grips with this and again proof that social distancing works. Forza Italia!

Unfortunately @GaryH, I think a lot of that will be undone by many people's attempt to have one last hurrah at the weekend. Let's be honest if that is their lassez fair attempt of following government advice, then are they even doing the basic stuff like washing their hands, keeping distances, wiping down surfaces? People will stay in more now, but the damage has largely been done. Of course it can be limited if they self isolate but we're asking the people who didn't stay in when asked, to stay in again.

I get to leave self isolation tomorrow. Maybe rediscovering the rest of the house and the garden will do me some good :D

Then, with respect, you're an idiot for saying you'd rather die first because your death will not mean anything, the whole problem here is the vast majority of the younger generation (under 30) think they are immune because of their age, if a few high profile youngsters catch the virus may be the only way they will learn that they are not immune and are making things worse by ignoring social distancing.

What you're effectively saying is you'd rather die so the random stranger who went to the party at the weekend, and mingled with 50 other people all while you were sat at home watching repeats of Murder She Wrote being sensible as asked (my example from the weekend lol), can live becuase their irresponsibility of going to the party and catching the virus, then passing it on to you after, wasn't their fault and they don't deserve the blame....

Come on, we gotta stop this "little Johnny didn't mean it he doesn't deserve the blame" excuse for idiocy especially when it's someone in their thirties being irresponsible and causing people in your/our generation to die as a result, just becuase they wanted to go to that party st the weekend instead of staying home like the rest of us did.
I can't imagine many of the folks heading to their second homes or to the Highlands in their camper vans are under 30. Could we stop generalising and focus on reducing deaths, from all age groups?

Usual DM project fear

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...ogle-provide-location-data-UK-government.html

Data collected by the tech giant on user locations could track the deadly virus
  • It would not identify people who are not adhering to social distancing measures
  • The data, gathered from Google apps, would show where people are gathering
The tech giant is in discussions about sharing location data, gathered from its various apps, to help determine whether the public is practising social distancing.

This would work in a similar way to Google Maps, which uses location data on users' mobile phones track the movement of cars and show when there is heavy traffic in certain locations

I can't imagine many of the folks heading to their second homes or to the Highlands in their camper vans are under 30. Could we stop generalising and focus on reducing deaths, from all age groups?

So the old people isolating themselves away from society are the problem? Gotcha.
Also I'm not saying the people going camping are the problem, but the people having garden parties and generally ignoring the social distancing rules are, for the love of God, would people please read, re-read and then read out loud other people's posts before snap responding, we're going to be in lockdown soon so plenty of time eh?

For the record I just popped out for milk ,the only people I saw, who were all sat on street corners chatting, were all under 30, not one old fart out there, you really think old people have the energy to stand for a long time?

I think I'm going to take a break from the internet if hurting people's feeling by singling them out for ignoring the social distancing advice is more offensive than ignoring said advice...

Do they really think people won't leave their phones at home if this happens?

Last edited:
In my local Aldi it's certainly the older generation that are standing way too close, getting huffy if you try to move away, loudly proclaiming "anyone would think it's the apocalypse"

Oddly, in the butchers the customers were observing the distance rule

Customers at my work have generally been self-enforcing social distancing, which is somewhat helpful. It's also been helpful that work's been a bit quieter as of late.

For every problem, there is a solution,

I think this one might be full of s*** o_O

4m4ZrWr.png

Well the old people I met today seem to not give a fig about it all
We have done to risk Assessments
Ask them if they want me in the house
Ask them again when I arrive if it’s ok
Encourage them to sit in another room while I work

They just don’t care.

I think most are just happy to have someone to talk to :confused: