• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
someone moaning about the actions of young people when someone on the same page mentions their elderly dad still planning on going on holiday in Easter

If you're talking about my dad I actually said he wasn't going to cancel and was waiting for the holiday to be csncelled for him, which it has been. Don't confuse bloodymindedness with stupidity, he was never going on holiday realistically and not cancelling doesn't necessarily mean still going.

Our holiday still hasn't been cancelled yet. But I fully expect it will be and we will all be under curfew by then with borders shut (something that should have happened 3 weeks ago).

It will be announced this afternoon if what I've heard is correct, but it's all in flux and depends on a lot.

Erm, the whole a Country but don't take my word for it as this is just based on reading between the lines of a text from a friend in the civil service.

Erm, the whole a Country but don't take my word for it as this is just based on reading between the lines of a text from a friend in the civil service.
An easy wind is coming I feel... interesting and uncertain times ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who haven't seen the BBC Four's Pandemic (broadcast in 2018), it's well worth a watch. It's very informative and features a simulation of a pandemic in Halesmere, showing how flu mutates, how it can be transferred and how to mitigate it. It's eerie to watch it knowing the predictions predate the current pandemic by a couple of years.

Good find Al, an interesting watch indeed. They even predicted the same sleepy village where "patient 0" infected the uk with covid 19 :rolleyes:

On a side note can we stop the fear mongering? The media are doing a great job as it is

If we are waiting on a vaccine this could be reality for 18+ months

The end game for this virus could be years still. There is a vaccine on the horizon, but it might not work or be effective, or have dangerous side effects. It still needs to be tested and producing it for the masses is also going to be a challenge, the first to get the vaccine will be the front line workers and then probably the vulnerable, this is not going to be a quick fix.

It should pass through the majority of the population and fade after a summer peak.
Possibly.

There is no evidence that once you get the virus, you can't get it again, it's still a new virus and a lot is still un-know about this. There is a new test that might be available over the next few weeks that can confirm if someone has already been infected and has not known about it. It will also give some indication if you have immunity against it or if you are likely to get it again.

Still so little is know about this virus and it could still be years again before this virus is no longer a threat.

They could do with deploying army/police at supermarkets soon to control the morons. Might pop out shopping for a new baseball bat later on. Could be deemed as necessary soon.

An easy wind is coming I feel... interesting and uncertain times ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, see below.

On a side note can we stop the fear mongering? The media are doing a great job as it is

Fucking media is going to have a lot to answer to after this is all over.

They could do with deploying army/police at supermarkets soon to control the morons. Might pop out shopping for a new baseball bat later on. Could be deemed as necessary soon.

They've sold out of baseball bats at Sports Direct, and I'm not kidding.
I just tried to buy some milk, Sainsburys has been picked clean, even the overpriced local Premier shop has been stripped bare.

If we end up in lockdown, the general public will only have themselves to blame for it along with the media making the situation worse with their constant 24/7 hysterics.

Times like this make me glad I have a 60lb compound bow in the house from my archery

LOL I have an 80lb crossbow that has never been taken out the box, bought it to try and retrieve s plane out of a tree last year but Mother Nature beat me to it so its in the loft, kind glad I have that option if the shit really does hit the fan...

I think if anything the media are partly to blame for the number of infections. They started out by comparing it to seasonal flu when it was blatantly obvious it was worse than that. As such some people (allbeit less) still think its just a flu. Its only the past 2 weeks Italy realised how bad this thing is and are now telling other countries to listen to the advice and stay indoors.

Meanwhile, Alton Towers opens, Blackpool PB opens, people still going to pubs, restaurants...... I dont think its hit the UK yet in terms of realisation how bad this is going to get.

I fear you're right - i think the era of cheap flights is over for the time being for one.

Cheap holidays in general. airlines and hotels in europe are going to want to get as much money back as they can after all this, so more and more people will got for a staycation, and with so many people stayoing here why would the holiday camps like butlins and haven offer discounts?

Thats even if they are still around after all this has finished

It will be good for the environment if nothing else. We travel by plane way way too much already. The world won't be around much longer if we continue to treat it like a rubbish tip etc.

Even in the last few days of virtually no traffic out of Gatwick I've noticed the air is markably better round here, usually there is the briefest of hints of avgas in the air, but nothing now, the birds are singing too, it reminds me of when the volcano erupted.

I was also somewhat amazed by the sheer number of old people wondering around town this morning, I know they're the war generation, but by christ even my dad has shut himself away from the world and won't go out unless absolutely necessary, most I saw were just carrying on as normal drinking coffee and tea and eating cake in the cafe.

I wonder how long it will be before our Government are shamed into "sending cheques to households" like some states in America are, does anybody know if they've been doing this in Europe?

Cheap holidays in general. airlines and hotels in europe are going to want to get as much money back as they can after all this, so more and more people will got for a staycation, and with so many people stayoing here why would the holiday camps like butlins and haven offer discounts?

Thats even if they are still around after all this has finished

Funny you should mention those, both owned by the same company, Butins have done a total shutdown, Haven still operating as normal.

[QUOTE="
Funny you should mention those, both owned by the same company, Butins have done a total shutdown, Haven still operating as normal.[/QUOTE]

I was meant to be going to Bultins Skegness tomorrow