• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I'm curious: people who are testing positive for Covid (my sympathies), having had two vaccine doses, do you know if you've had Covid before?

I had a severe infection back in April 2020 (knocked me out for 4ish days, hospitalised my Mother), and have had my two jabs. I keep testing negative on LFTs and very much hope that continues, but starting to wonder what the chances of that are with other double-jabbed people getting infected...

I'm curious: people who are testing positive for Covid (my sympathies), having had two vaccine doses, do you know if you've had Covid before?
Not that I'm aware of, although I've not taken an antibodies test. I'd not been ill since Christmas 2019 either, so unless it was Covid that I had then (the symptoms then, thinking about it, weren't too dissimilar to those that I've had this week), then no.

It’s crazy that more restrictions are being bought in to the general masses whilst a minority are still unvaccinated.
Majority of the strain on the NHS is from the unvaccinated so why are they still been treated?
You don’t need to bring in vaccine passports as such just announce that unvaccinated won’t be treated in an NHS hospital then sit back and watch the vaccine uptake shoot up.

Despite the dangerous misinformation that people like Dr Hilary and the Good Morning news channels are telling the masses, the majority from the strain on the NHS is not because of the unvaccinated.

36% of people in hospitals related to Covid are unvaxxed and not 90%.

Source- https://assets.publishing.service.g...37987/Vaccine-surveillance-report-week-48.pdf

Regardless, Covid patients currently occupy just 5% of NHS beds- similar to what we have had since August 2021. Boris has rolled out these completely unjustified restrictions solely to divert the front page news from him and his cronies being caught breaking all the rules to the implementation of this ridiculous “plan B” nonsense.

The fact we're two weeks out from Christmas, the country is freezing cold and only 5% of NHS beds are Covid related is surely a good sign that the worst is well behind us. The vaccine has clearly worked and the virus isn't having the same impact anymore.

The media causing mass hysteria as usual though. There's a new variant !!!! Everyone panic!!!!!! Well no, actually most sensible people knew a new variant would come and then another and another. Get jabbed, turn off the news, be as sensible as humanly possible without living like a prisoner in your own home and have a great Christmas. Stop wasting your life and living in fear over something we can't really control anyway. That doesn't mean you have to go around licking people's faces etc but I don't think anyone should even consider cancelling Christmas or parties or anything of the such.

The fact we're two weeks out from Christmas, the country is freezing cold and only 5% of NHS beds are Covid related is surely a good sign that the worst is well behind us. The vaccine has clearly worked and the virus isn't having the same impact anymore.

That's not 5% of intensive care beds though.

In my local hospital, 80% of those hospitalised to intensive care with covid have had no vaccination.
The report that Sir Dossa selectively quoted states that the vaccines are around 90% effective against hospitalisation with covid, and 90% effective at preventing death when admitted to hospital with covid.
Those handy government statistics will do for me.
It is winter, additional measures required, no surprise.
Had my booster, bit of a hangover and a sore arm.
Thanks NHS.
Stuff Boris.

Been boostered with Moderna in the oddest pop-up shop. Few hours on though and no hints of symptoms this time round, Thanks Dolly!

I had a severe infection back in April 2020 (knocked me out for 4ish days, hospitalised my Mother), and have had my two jabs. I keep testing negative on LFTs and very much hope that continues, but starting to wonder what the chances of that are with other double-jabbed people getting infected...

I hope your mum is feeling better and no lasting effects from the hospital trip.

I can't answer your question fully but I had suspected (due to no testing) Covid in March 2020, had jabs in March & May 2021. I had a normalish flu in August and then something that absolutely floored me in late October. Fever, chills, change in taste, etc... LFT was negative didn't get tested as I couldn't move for 3 days and being able to walk outside in the cold took another couple days for my breathing to regulate. I had a negative PCR on day 6 and was negative. This was advised by a local GP as other people on LTF were testing negative but PCR was positive.

My mum, her partner & sister all had negative LTF but positive PCR at that time. My girlfriend had the same illness as I did a week later with negative LTF and negative PCR a week later. (Equally she didn't get tested straight away either).

It piqued my curiosity that there was potentially another strain going around or whether it was the "super-flu" that was in the media.

I know a few people who had similar stories of a flu lingering ~4 weeks in September/October.

Weird to think I've possibly had covid twice and never had a positive test. How anyone can cut through all this and get any figures that resemble the true picture is beyond me.

Despite the dangerous misinformation that people like Dr Hilary and the Good Morning news channels are telling the masses, the majority from the strain on the NHS is not because of the unvaccinated.

36% of people in hospitals related to Covid are unvaxxed and not 90%.

I can only describe what I am seeing in the hospital I work in, and it’s around 60:40 where 60 are vaccinated and 40 are not in terms of ratio of people occupying beds.

However there are 3 significant differences this year compared to last:

1. Younger people being admitted and many ending up in ICU - previous wave was mostly older people

2. those who have been vaccinated have a much shorter length of stay compared to those who haven’t

3. those which sadly die are either of the old age bracket 80+ and double vaccinated, or of any age group and not vaccinated. Most of those which die are unvaccinated.

I respect everyone’s right to choose whether to have the vaccine or not, but seeing it for real since covid started, there is absolutely no doubt in my eyes just how effective the vaccines have been.

Too early to say for absolutely certain but it looks like without the Pfizer booster the AstraZenica vaccine provides almost zero effectiveness against Omicron.
Probably a good idea to get boosters, especially if you had AZ first time.

God I hate the media so much. I go to the BBC News homepage (no idea why), and the massive headline is

BBC said:
Covid: Omicron study suggests major wave in January
The UK is facing a substantial wave of Omicron infections in January without further restrictions, scientists say.
The number of deaths from the variant by the end of April could range from 25,000 to 75,000 depending on how well vaccines perform, they said.

Wonderful. Let me just ramp up my anxiety and depression to full.

But then, the very next few sentences when you look at the article...

BBC said:
But the experts behind the study said there was still uncertainty around the modelling.

And another scientist who is not linked to the research said the study's worst case scenarios were unlikely.

The study is by an influential group of disease modellers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) who also advise the government - but it is not a crystal ball. It does not say what will happen with the Omicron variant of coronavirus but gives a range of possible outcomes.

The research is based on the assumption Omicron is less severe if you have been vaccinated, and also takes into account the current Plan B measures.

High uptake of the booster dose is likely to mitigate the impact of the Omicron wave, the researchers said.

I honestly think that without the media, we would be in a much, much happier place now. The pandemic would still exist, still be a threat, and we'd still need certain precautions and restrictions, but mental health would be a whole heap better... mine would at any rate.

God I hate the media so much. I go to the BBC News homepage (no idea why), and the massive headline is

Wonderful. Let me just ramp up my anxiety and depression to full.

But then, the very next few sentences when you look at the article...

I honestly think that without the media, we would be in a much, much happier place now. The pandemic would still exist, still be a threat, and we'd still need certain precautions and restrictions, but mental health would be a whole heap better... mine would at any rate.
I have to agree, the state of the media in this country really isn't very good. I'm not even sure I can think of a completely reliable and not misleading major news source in the country. Even the BBC who are meant to be impartial and don't make money (or at least shouldn't) make money via clicks still do clickbait to a certain extend as @Islander has pointed out. COVID is still a major thread but if we had completely honest journalism about the affects of everything and what everything actually means I think all of us would feel a lot better.

No doubt the quality of BBC journalism has gone very downhill in the last few years mind.

All the other papers/news outlets just mess around trying to promote their owner's ideals and beliefs. Very few can have any consideration of impartiality which never helps.

The press weren't to blame for the shortages, idiot human sheep were responsible, the press simply reported on the overreaction.
I don't disagree with this. But something needs to happen to start the panic. Sensationalist news story's are usually the trigger. A couple of petrol stations going dry isn't enough to start a panic by itself.

The flareups, both food basics originally, then fuel, started on Facebook and "family based" social media if I recall correctly, then bounced around twitter...then the mainstream media caught up a distant third.
Not saying they didn't fan the flames of course, but local social media groups advising mates where stuff is available nearby were the main firestarters.
Saw it myself at aldi and my local garden suppliers, the garden suppliers were stripped of compost, soil and certain bedding plants within hours of delivery...all down to a church facebook group and a local mothers guild.

My poor old ladies couldn't get their trailing Cuzcos.

My girlfriend spent at least an hour in a car with her boss the other day. Next day she (her boss) tests positive for covid following a PCR test. My girlfriend has since taken three LFTs and a PCR test which were all negative. Surprised neither of us have caught it really, relieved if anything, we've got a busy Christmas planned!