Disaster of the Towers

Discussion in 'Your Alton Towers Trip Reports and Plans' started by bluesonichd, 11th Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

Where to start
    A year ago booked the last Sunday for fireworks
    Towers changed the fireworks dates, altered the booking to Fireworks Saturday 9th as Sunday the 10th was not possible for me
    Received all booking confirmations with correct dates.
    You can probably see where this is going ...
    Saturday turn up at ATH 10am to checkin
    Sorry we have no room for you. And the entire resort is fully booked
    Leave it with us. We will try our best. Even if we have to refund and find you accommodation else where.
    Reluctantly I went on park after leaving them my phone number so they can contact me with updates
    14:30 I ended up ringing them.
    “Oh I was just about to ring you “
    :rolleyes:
    “We have found a pod, there is no heating but we have placed a portable heater in there to try and get the temperature up”
    “That’s the only thing we have”
    Sorry a shed in a field with no washing or toilet facilities is not suitable!
    “We will keep trying I will call you in a couple of hours, I finish at 5 so will pass this to the duty manager “
    18:04 I call them

“Oh we now have a pod with working heating”

Yet again not suitable accommodation!

Watched the fireworks, had booked big Bang tent but then due to someone setting a tree in fire couldn’t get back in there till 9pm to collect belonging

10pm Now cold and wet headed back to the hotel

Sorry sir still only a pod available, we can offer you a refund and would like to also offer 25% off your next stay

25%?!

“Well we don’t usually refund and offer discount too”

All the talk of other accommodation out the window as they had “in their opinion “ found me a room. A shed. May as well been a skip and a sleeping bag
    Their work was done
    And i should be grateful for a refund and discount
    A refund for a room that never was !
    A couple of friends offered to let me sleep in their lodge. Which I took
    As the shed option was no
    Driving home and then back in the morning was not really an option.

However sharing a room , for me at least , is still not the best choice
    Had event tickets booked for Sunday
    But then due to all the stress and tiredness and everything being treated like meh
    Had no option and left park at 6pm to go home.
    Had been looking forward to this weekend all year

:(

RoyJess, DiogoJ42 and skyscraper like this.
    Posted 11th Nov 2019
  2. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

If you aren’t happy with the outcome or how it was dealt with, email the details and what you want them to do to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

[email protected]

Posted 11th Nov 2019
  3. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

They offered you a full refund and money off next stay but that wasn't good enough?

Given that the ideal solution would be to have a real room, if that wasn't viable what would've been acceptable?

Ted, jon81uk, speedy and 3 others like this.
    Posted 11th Nov 2019
  4. Stuie

Stuie TowersStreet Member

Sure, it's unfortunate but mistakes happen.

I'd say that their response of offering you alternative accommodation, refunding you and giving 25% off your next stay is reasonable and probably at the limit of what they can do to try and make it right.

speedy likes this.
    Posted 11th Nov 2019
  5. bluesonichd

No it’s not acceptable that a room you have paid money for 11 months previous down not exist when you turn up
    And they make you feel as you should be great full that they are offering a refund for the none existent room and giving you 25% off another stay
    Being finally told this at 10:30 pm on Saturday after being on park all day in the wet and cold !
    No it’s not acceptable by a long way !

ThisGuy and DiogoJ42 like this.
    Posted 11th Nov 2019
  6. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Have you emailed as per my suggestion above? If not I strongly recommend you do.

Personally I am of the opinion that the offer a full refund (whilst still being able to stay in a pod for free) and 25% off another stay seems reasonable. If there were no rooms, then there are no rooms, they can’t magic one up out of nowhere.

However you are clearly not happy about the situation so email the details to the CEO office, it will probably end up on Wayne Burton’s desk but they will have more discretion to offer different resolutions than duty hotel managers.

You haven’t said what you expected them to offer you (other than a room that didn’t exist) but you really need to tell them what would be acceptable to you, as opposed to waiting for them to come up with something.

speedy, D4n, MattyH and 1 other person like this.
    Posted 11th Nov 2019
  7. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    It is a shame you had that experience but really, they offered a replacement, a refund and discount, that is pretty decent.

I would always ask customers where I worked 'How would you like us to resolve this situation?'. No one is perfect and mistakes happen. But short of kicking someone out of their room (who has done nothing wrong) I don't really see how they could have resolved this in any other way

Posted 11th Nov 2019
  8. bluesonichd

For those saying a shed in a field with no washing and toilet facilities is an acceptable replacement o_O
    I don’t think having to walk across a muddy field at 3am in the morning during November when it’s below zero to use the bathroom is acceptable to anyone
    I am currently talking to them about what I think is an acceptable offer
    Yes the could have magic a room out of nowhere
    Calling the last people that booked and cancelling their room to give to me.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
    Posted 11th Nov 2019
  9. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Wow.

Ted, Rick, Panda and 17 others like this.
    Posted 11th Nov 2019
  10. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Did you tell them you were a VIP?

11. Danny

Danny TPWW's no.1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    As much as we berate the sheds, the likelihood of you having to traipse to the toilet facilities at that time of the morning seems unlikely. Utilise them before bed perhaps?

What does the man who has it all think is an acceptable response to the situation? Merlin not only giving a FULL refund but also 25% discount off your next stay IN ADDITION is quite frankly unheard of.

The hotels were already straining from the dance competition bookings, in addition to the surge of requests of people attempting to scramble for the minimal amount of rooms left that weekend.

12. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

[​IMG]
    "I hope they haven't already run out of Breakfast Baps."

Stevie, RicketyCricket, Jb85 and 2 others like this.
  13. Stuie

Stuie TowersStreet Member

It doesn't sound like cancelling someone else to resolve your issue was an option. Did they say why this wasn't possible? As you were there to check in at 10am?

Did you suggest this to them? I can't see how this could have come across any less than self-entitled to be honest :)

14. bluesonichd

So you think they should have not refunded me for a room that didn’t exist.
    A room that they have had my money for since the 12th of January

15. Plastic Person

They did offer to refund you, and they offered you a bed, and 25% off a future stay? These situations suck, but they happen.

Rick likes this.
  16. bluesonichd

Later in the day yes I did suggest this to them
    Why is it self titled ???
    I had paid money for this room in January and yet people who booked much much later get their room
    I also know why it’s down to cost
    Cheaper for them to pay me off than someone who has probably paid more

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  17. bluesonichd

No they offered me a bed in a shed
    Or a refund and 25% and to go home

18. Plastic Person

Ah, I see.

Oh well, at least you did get a bed in the end. You can be thankful for the kindness of friends. As for Towers customer service, I suppose the best thing to do would be to vote with your feet and not put any more money in their pocket for a while.

Alastair likes this.
  19. Lurker

Lurker TowersStreet Member

I must say, if a room is double booked the normal resolution is a room of the same or higher quality and transport to travel from the hotel you were supposed to stay at, to the one you are now going to stay at, plus at least a partial refund as compensation.

There are plenty of hotels id accept in the area for this kind of exchange, if not a premier Inn and full refund is the least I'd accept.

In this case, as you were planning to visit the resort the next day too, I'd also ask for a taxi back to the park.

I'd also ask for hotel expenses (bar, food, room service ect.) to be included, though i can see some not agreeing to this. (For fear of the bottle of Dom Perignon being sent to the room to enjoy in the bath, even if I'd never be so cheeky, I bet some would!)

Last edited: 11th Nov 2019
  20. MattyH

MattyH TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Alton Towers Monorail
    God forbid you should ever make a mistake at work. I understand your frustration but to demand that somebody else be kicked out of their room for you?

Andrew and Jonathan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.