• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Resort, California: General Discussion

7328a55fcf51900c0c68b3d6df224518.jpg

Something like this I had in mind, looks at you mack

Meant to post about this last week! MiceAge have published a big article of various updates at Disneyland. I recommend that you take a read, it contains a lot of information about how Star Wars land will be carefully intergrated into Disneyland so that you cannot see it from elsewhere in the park.

Anyway, here is a map showing the layout we can expect from Star Wars land:

StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

Reading the article is pretty exciting, well until you get to the part about various cuts being forced on WDI. A shame that a third attraction for Star Wars land (some sort of transportation system) is being cut.

:)

Very excited for Star Wars, am a massive fan of the movies and can see it this area being successful and fantastic too.

Shame about the third attraction being scrapped though as transport rides seem to be a dying breed these days.

Some more Star Wars ride rumours from Screamscape:
Sceamscape said:
I've got some new updates regarding the Star Wars Land attractions this week. For starters, one of our sources confirmed that despite the media reports mentioning it, the E-Ticket "Battle Ride" concept is not a boat ride. Instead, the ride will feature a trackless ride vehicle that will move about and through very detailed sets and props from the Star Wars universe, including countless Stormtrooper animatronic figures, as well as large scale Tie Fighter, X-Wing starfighters and much more.

As for the Millennium Falcon attraction, there are two lines of thought on just what the Millennium Falcon ride system may be. Keep in mind this is mainly speculation right now, as facts are few and far between. Based on what is believed, one possible ride system may involve some kind ride cockpit pod that would also employ the use of a motion-base or KUKA power arm for some of the movement. Another concept I’ve heard of was essentially described as being a Disney Omnimover style ride system, loaded with an endless string of cockpit pods, featuring a steady stream of interactive projection screens for the riders to interact with.

One final note... while the new rides are cool sounding, there will be one major disappointment that Disneyland will be forced to live with that Walt Disney World wont. I’m told that once the new Star Wars land opens (which is still looking to be 2020 right now), we can pretty much count on seeing the Star Tours attraction in Tomorrowland closed for good soon after. In an earlier rumor I had heard there would be a Phase 2 build-out to Star Wars Land, and that rumored expansion was thought to include a brand new Star Tours attraction building. This would allow Disneyland to “move” Star Tours into the new land, while freeing up the old Star Tours space in Tomorrowland for something new.

Well, that last park will hold true, as a year or two after Star Wars Land opens, the old Star Tours ride is rumored to reopen as a copy of the Iron Man Experience ride opening in Hong Kong Disneyland this year. This will tie into a brand new Stark Expo / Marvel makeover for the current Star Wars Launch Pad attraction. But for Star Tours fans, there will be no joy in Disneyland, though Star Tours will continue as an active attraction in Walt Disney World, Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland.

I have heard elsewhere that the battle ride will utilise the Ratatouille/Mystic Manor ride system, but the ride is likely to be more Mystic Manor than Ratatouille. Using an Omnimover system for the Falcon ride makes sense to me, I get the impression that the cockpit (which it's been confirmed you will be in) will only seat between 2 and 4 people and a modified Omnimover system would give the right vehicle size but a good throughput still.

With regards to Star Tours, I suppose it does make sense closing the attraction in Tomorrowland once Star Wars land is open. The Hollywood Studios version of Star Wars land will incorporate the existing Star Tours attraction.

Also, Dinsey showed a preview of the Star Wars lands during a special Disneyland 60 tranmission of Wonderful World of Disney on ABC:

There is no 100% confirmed opening date, however initially it was rumoured to be Summer 2020 but i understand they are now hoping for 2019 to open in time with the final film of the new trilogy.

Last edited:
Is anyone else already getting sick of idiots they work with saying,
"Have you heard? 'They' are building a whole themepark about Star Wars!"
:banghead:

Indeed. I'm often asked if I've been to "the BBC themepark" by fellow ex-BBC staff.

Looks like the rumours regarding ToT and Guardians of the Galaxy are becoming closer to a reality:
Screamscape said:
Semi-Confirmed - (5/11/16) Screamscape sources have confirmed for us that the Guardians of the Galaxy transformation for the Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror attraction at Disney California Adventure is 100% locked in now and happening. While we don't know exactly when the ride will close down (best guess is sometime after summer, either in fall or early winter) the plan is to have the new Guardians version up and running in time for the May 2017 opening of the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 movie premier.

As we previously rumored, the overall theme of the building will now be based around the character from the first film known as The Collector, or more importantly, his collection of rare and unique artifacts gathered from around the galaxy. I've been told that the story will essentially be somewhat similar to the unique story told in Tokyo DisneySea's Tower of Terror...but with a Marvel / SciFi spin to it all. As we saw in the first Guardian's film, sometimes the items gathered by The Collector can be a bit temperamental, and even explosive.

This will be the starting block for what will eventually become a Marvel themed section of the park it seems, but the main problem is that the transition from the old "Hollywood" theme into the new SciFi theme is going to be quite jarring and sudden, to say the least. So it should be interesting to see how this plays out as the first Marvel themed attraction for the US market.

This worries me. It is concerning that Disney are feeling the need to overlay a Marvel IP onto one of the best theme park attractions ever created. If this is succesful I can see it being applied to DLP also although I doubt they would touch the Florida version.

There's absolutely no need for this. I'd argue that ToT is a solid IP in itself, and doesn't need something like Marvel tacked onto it.

Nope, it's for a new Marvel themed area of the park. There must be some equally bemused Imagineers.

You can read more about this and other issues at Disneyland California in this MiceAge Update.

Bob Chapek has decided that existing parks need to absorb the rising costs of Shanghai Disneyland, so Disneyland California has had to cut at least $500 million from their Q3 operating budget. And apparently the park is busier than it has ever been this season - so you've got a busier park but with shorter opening hours, reduced staffing levels and closures within the park. How very Merlin.

You know what, sometimes you just can't beat a family run theme park (that may or may not be located in the south west of Germany).