• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

The only thing I don't get is how Rory spent 2000+ years without aging a day but a few extra decades saw him become an old man and die. It's not as if they forgot the whole centurion situation either as it was referenced in the episode. Is there something I've missed?

Apart from that, I enjoyed it.

EuroSatch said:
Especially as there is nothing to stop him from landing 5 minutes outside of New York and walking in to find them!

I thought that too. It was quite a lazy way to get rid of them. It would have been better if they had just decided to not travel with the doctor anymore.

Technically the whole paradox plot twist means that He can't visit New York again for any time period between 1938 and 2012! That's going to be a really issue for when they inevitably want to go back there again (which has happened quite a few times in Doctor Who's history).

CGM said:
The only thing I don't get is how Rory spent 2000+ years without aging a day but a few extra decades saw him become an old man and die. It's not as if they forgot the whole centurion situation either as it was referenced in the episode. Is there something I've missed?

That wasn't the same Rory. It was his mind but he was actually a Auton (basically made of plastic). At the end of that episode when the whole of history collapses everything reverts back to the night of Amys wedding (so real Rory) but he keeps those memory's because The Doctor didn't get written out of history so he remembers all of the adventures they add.
^ And if you're finding that description confusing it's because it was another Paradox. Someone needs to start a tally :p

I liked the series in general. But I'm still annoyed. No, sorry, furious! That they took the doctor out of the Daleks memory (or database or something as it must be?) Yes it worked for the episode, but after that I realised that almost 50 years of Doctor Who history has just been wiped out. And then in the last episode was it just me or did they get rid of the Angels full stop as well? Because if that's the case that's 2 villainous civilisations taken out in 5 episodes which I don't like.

CupCakeMonster said:
I liked the series in general. But I'm still annoyed. No, sorry, furious! That they took the doctor out of the Daleks memory (or database or something as it must be?) Yes it worked for the episode, but after that I realised that almost 50 years of Doctor Who history has just been wiped out. And then in the last episode was it just me or did they get rid of the Angels full stop as well? Because if that's the case that's 2 villainous civilisations taken out in 5 episodes which I don't like.

Yes but the Daleks will inevitably return and there is always the chance that not every single Dalek had their memory wiped of the Doctor. I think it will make an interesting story upon their return to see how they treat the Doctor.

As for the Weeping Angels, I'd personally be glad if that was it for them, and they are never seen ever again. The original concept back in Blink was good, however I feel they have been milked of everything that made them a great threat and scary. New York, one of the busiest cities on the planet, and yet nobody noticed one of the most iconic features get up and walk across the city. There is most likely never a moment where the Statue Of Liberty isn't being watched, and that ruined that part of the story for me.

I personally felt the last episode was truly terrible and a stupid way for Amy and Rory to go. Whilst the departure of the pair itself was well executed, I still feel they deserved a far better exit than what they were given.

I seriously hope Moffat has put the Weeping Angel concept to bed, never to be seen again.

I think that the Doctor should go back to the day before he picked Amy up and then he would stop them from being taken away, i don't see any problems with this....

Reading through this thread; and, indeed, reviews for this ‘series’ (which I’m aware as being incomplete) in generally I find that there seems to be a generally negative vibe towards the show at the moment. Which doesn’t surprise me, because I’ve really enjoyed this series (possible exception being Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, which was dreadful in terms of storyline but still enjoyable for the witty dialogue) more than any since Christopher Eccleston left, and my view tends to differ from that of the majority.

Really, I think the Moffat has gotten the series back on track based on these five episodes. By no means have they been perfect; occasionally drifting into tackiness but at least the cardinal sin of presenting an impossible to follow storyline to an audience looking merely looking for light entertainment hasn’t been committed. The series hasn’t been overplayed or overcomplicated and is all the better for it. I didn’t like the last series; personally, it confused me and didn’t intrigue me enough to pay attention.

Asylum of the Daleks was the best episode I can actually remember seeing of Doctor Who; it involved a unique and intelligent plotline for the Daleks, introduced a new character whom the viewer couldn’t help but fall in love with, and then twisted and turned in ways that could never have been predicted, whilst remaining simple and emotional. But what worked best was that it wasn’t the alien threat which was key to the plotline; it was the good humoured, fun nature of the show and (more importantly) the human element. Emotions and moral dilemmas.

This, I feel, has been a recurring theme throughout the last five episodes. Gone, it would seem, are the explosions of Russell T. Davies, and hopefully now the mindf*ck of the last couple of series’. Instead the entire logic of “let’s focus upon the human aspect of things” and use aliens/exploration as a backdrop seems to be settling in, most predominantly in ‘The Gunslinger’, which was gripping from start to end precisely because of the character development. The existence of alien technology in that episode was almost irrelevant, much more like Torchwood or the original Doctor Who series than I have become accustomed.

So... Angels Take Manhatten was alright, for me, Amy and Rory deserved a far better send-off than what they got but the storyline as a whole was cleverly worked and paced well enough. The opening scene, too, was very effective.

But, erm, yeah. Just thought I’d say how much I’ve been enjoying this series. Some people take the show far too seriously, sometimes picking faults for the sake of picking faults. Whilst I feel that what’s been shown over the past few weeks has been ideal; incorporating a family friendly scenario with a simple plotline into a show which develops its characters nicely and provides moral dilemmas and humour for older viewers. Though obviously I appreciate that others' have differing opinions which is totally fine. :)

I did love this series (Christmas is intriguing me though) it was just the getting rid of the Daleks bit that really annoyed me. And unless it's fixed will continue to annoy me.

the doctor killed the inventor, yet they came back, how much more proof do you need that the daleks are F***ing invincible and unstoppable.

Well, Davros isn't really an inventor is he? The Daleks were mutations and he 'took their emotion out'. But they weren't invented by him. They're also not unstoppable, as the Doctor has beaten them every time.

But he hasn't got rid of Daleks. He's just wiped their memories of the Doctor. I think that's fantastic!

Now rather than cower in fear when the Doctor is involved, they can act as manically as possible.
They don't know what he's capable of so will show no fear when trying to destroy him!

It was pretty good, certainly better than the past 2 christmas episodes (especially the one with the tree people, it was awful!).

I enjoyed the Vastra, Jenny and Strax set up, Strax actually stole the show for me, when he was under the carriage shouting he had been run over made me laugh a little too much. Id love for the three of them to continue to come and go when the Doctor needs them. I like the Doctor with an entourage rather than just one companion.

Clara - firstly what a pretty lady, she has such a nice smile too. The only thing Im not keen on is that she seems to be a little over the top, but Im hoping it will die down as the series progresses. Nice to see the story from Asylum built upon, but I didnt find it overly exciting, certainly not as attention grabbing as say the Doctor dying.

Also Im really not a fan of the new tardis, its so sterile and full of LED lights that just dont look very good. The rotating panel in the roof is clever, but I didnt like Tardis overall, but it might grow on me when we see other rooms as has been hinted several times.
Didnt like the new opening titles either, but the music was nice.

You James?

Doctor Who

I agree with Ben, I wasn't too much for the opening credits - I still prefer the ones from the Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant series. On the other hand I really liked the episode, the whole 'Clara and Oswin' storyline has really got me excited for next season to find out who she really is. Overall, it was one of the best Christmas episodes, the best one since 'The End Of Time' - now that was an amazing Christmas special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the opening title sequence quite a fair bit, though I think it'll just take a little bit of getting used to, like anything. It felt very modern and glossed, which is obviously going to strike the viewer at first but I think that really fits the image of the show which Moffat is attempting to promote. These new credits, combined with the new TARDIS design (which I was less sure of, it seemed a little bare) are promoting the idea of change, a new era, which is what Doctor Who is all about. :)

As for Jenna-Louise Coleman, she's absolutely perfect. <3 She's certainly a talented actress (Asylum of the Daleks is one of my favourite episodes of the show and she was a large part of that) and Clara is simply impossible not to love; witty, smart and subtly emotional. Though her main flaw (and one which Karen Gillan shared) is that she's quite possibly too attractive for the show. I don't know what it is, but for me it makes it feel much less 'real' (of course, I use the term loosely) when you start casting the likes of David Tennant, John Barrowman, Karen Gillan in roles rather than more rugged actors like Christopher Eccleston.

As for the storyline itself; it was decent. Obviously expectations had been set fairly low by previous Christmas specials and it was nice to have an episode which had a bit more of an emphasis upon action. Besides that, the whole "the Doctor lost his companion, now he hates the Universe" thing has been overdone now. It seems that we have to have it as a transition episode between every single companion. Still, it was moderately entertaining, particularly the Sherlock Holmes scene, and it'll be interesting to see where they go with the Clara story-arc, it's hard to see how it can be pulled off without relying on clichés or cop-outs.

Eagerly anticipating the new series which isn't actually a new series but a continuation of an old series for the lulz. :D

I've only just got to see it and I enjoyed it. All the good elements were there and unlike the other recent episodes it didn't feel completely cluttered. I also look forward to seeing were Clara's plot goes.

On the subject of the intro and Tardis changing this is technically the midpoint of series 7 still so they've decided to change it midway through with only 8 episodes left. Makes me wish even more that they had given us two proper series.

New promotional image for series seven part two has been released today:

dw1_zps13e30d48.jpg

dw2_zps13966102.jpg

Confirmed title for the opening episode is The Bells of St John - the episode is described to be an 'urban thriller'. If you look closely too you can see reflections of the Ice Warriors, who were last seen on Doctor Who in the 1970s!

For those who do not keep tabs on Doctor Who news either, the second half of series seven will begin on 30th March, with an eight episode run.

:)

^
I admit, I'd kind of given up on the series after they killed David Tennant off - I thought it went downhill in a big way, and Matt Smith and Karen Gillan just didn't gel with me in the same way, so I've not seen half the episodes from the last 3 years.
However, bored on Christmas day, I happened to catch the snowmen episode, and quickly declared it the best Christmas episode for 7 years. As other people have said (and I'm thrilled people agree with me) this was due in no small part to Clara, who I thought was absolutely brilliant and precisely what the show needed. And by that, I don't just mean a diminutive brunette with eyes that could cause traffic accidents :p

So, looking forward to the new episodes now, and come the end of this month, I'll be watching again, expecting great things. Here's hoping it doesn't disappoint... :)