• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

I said a while ago that I wished they'd bring back the Ice Warriors and now it looks like they're back! :D

Their new look:

ice-warrior.jpg

Metro have an article about them and the new series here.

I like the new Ice Warriors. They look pretty much the same as they used to, a part from having hands now. It's the better way to bring back old monsters, just modernise them, don't try to redesign the things!

Series 7 Part 2 trailer was released last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQu3MvRySA#ws

Also, a clip from the first episode, titled 'The Bells of Saint John':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3stQteOKw#ws

Another treat too, 'movie style' posters for the first four episodes:
1-bells-of-saint-john-poster_zpsb628e680.jpg

2-rings-poster-series-7_zps8f00e127.jpg

3-cold-war-poster-ice-warriors_zpsc90d52fb.jpg

4-hide-series-7-poster_zps0ce3c08d.jpg

Exciting! 'Hide' looks like it could be a good scary episode!

Those movie posters are all fantastic. I'm really liking the look of Hide.

I used to adore Doctor Who, but the modern series' made me lose interest. The first half of this season has rekindled my love for the programme though, so I'm quite excited for these new episodes now.

556742_564051793627728_443808228_n.jpg

This appeared on my Facebook feed the other day, which intrigued me, even if it probably IS just a bored nerd over-analysing :p

And as for Clara, she gets my attention for far more simplistic reasons. Bring on the 30th anyway, and PLEASE don't let it disappoint me again...
562928_564263560273218_1030024764_n.jpg

I can guarantee that is a nerd over-analysing. :p That is a screenshot from a post on Tumblr. There's been loads of crazy theories on Clara posted on there. One person put a post up with the theory that Clara is the child of Rose Tyler and 'Doctor Two' (The human clone of the Doctor that stayed with her in the parallel universe). I've seen many things like that the past few months. :p

Latest news regarding the 50th Anniversary Special:
- It will be a 'TV movie'
- It will be 60-90 minutes long, no time has yet been confirmed by the BBC.
- The special may be shown in cinemas across the UK alongside the premiere on BBC One. It may also be shown in cinemas around the world.
- Only thing confirmed by the BBC so far is that it will be available in 3D.
- Filming is due to begin in April. Filming was due to start this month however they have pushed it back slightly.

Other misc news (if you follow the fan sites then you'll probably know all of this):
- Clara will be back for the 50th Anniversary, Christmas special and series eight.
- The Christmas special and series eight will begin filming in September this year.
- Matt Smith will continue to play the Doctor for the foreseeable future. He's taking the job year by year.

Looks like we're getting a new Doctor next year:

Huffington Post said:
Matt Smith is to bow out as the eleventh 'Doctor Who' during the Christmas special after four years in the role, according to reports.

And bosses at the Beeb already have an idea of who they want to replace him in the role, reports The Sun.

Matt - who will begin filming the 50th anniversary episode next month - is understood to not want to renew his contract, which expires in November, so he can focus on cracking Hollywood.

Speaking on Jonathan Ross's show last week, Matt said: “I am very happy doing ['Doctor Who']. I do the anniversary special, then the Christmas special. At the moment it’s 2013 and we will see what 2014 holds.”

Matt's star has continued to rise since signing up to play the Time Lord in 2009 for £200,000 a year. It is thought he now earns five times that amount.

He has just finished filming 'How To Catch A Monster' with Ryan Gosling, which is due for release next year and also has his eye on a role in the next James Bond film.

“I’m not handsome enough to be James Bond. Maybe a villain though," he told The Sun. "Start campaigning now. I don’t think I could be James Bond though.”

Last night, the BBC said in a statement: “Sorry folks but even we don’t know what’s going to happen at Christmas. It’s not been written yet! But Matt loves the show and is to start filming the unmissable 50th anniversary, and the new series starting on Easter Saturday.”

The article can be found here and there's also one from The Sun here.

It'a shame, but I'm not taking it as hard as when Tennant left. The list of 'potential' 12th Doctors on The Sun's article is hilarious. Helen Mirren? :D

I'd take that with a massive pinch of salt.

There have been numerous 'reports' of Matt Smith leaving. The tabloids tend to use it as 'news' these days when they have days with nothing exciting to report. I'd leave believing anything until there's an official word. Matt is contracted until the Christmas special this year at least. :)

For those who missed out on the big news regarding the 50th Special today...

tumblr_mkh2yqWxEm1qepqgko1_500.jpg

DOCTOR WHO ANNOUNCES ALL-STAR CAST FOR 50th ANNIVERSARY

754ccf363b3c4706aaa6d86.png

David Tennant and Billie Piper to return for blockbuster celebrations with John Hurt also confirmed.

The BBC has today revealed some of the all-star cast that will mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. David Tennant and Billie Piper will join current Doctor and companion, Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, while John Hurt (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Alien, Harry Potter) will also co-star.

Last seen as the Doctor on January 1st 2010, this will be the first time Tennant has reprised his role as the Tenth Doctor. During his reign as the Time Lord, Tennant appeared in three series as well as several specials. He was first revealed as the Doctor in the 2005 series finale, ‘The Parting of the Ways’.

Meanwhile Billie Piper, who played companion Rose Tyler for two series following the reboot in 2005, will appear in the show for the first time since featuring in Tennant’s last episode, ‘The End of Time’ in 2010.

Also confirmed to join the cast is John Hurt who will also co-star in the 3D anniversary special that will form part of blockbuster celebrations, set to take over the BBC. Produced by BBC Cymru Wales for BBC One, the 50th anniversary will be written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Nick Hurran.

Filming for the 50th anniversary starts this week. Meanwhile a brand new series starts on BBC ONE today (30 March) at 6:15pm for a run of eight epic episodes, which officially introduces the Doctor’s newest companion, Clara Oswald, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman.

Souce: bbc.co.uk

What did everyone think of tonight's episode? :) I'll be posting my views at the end of this week when I have some time to watch it again.

^ Exciting news, I look forwards to it.

Oh dear, oh dear. After 'Asylum of the Daleks' I was expecting another exciting opener. It didn't really fulfill my expectations, I found rather dull and uninspiring. I appreciated the efforts to keep the storyline up to date with technological advancements and in theory, it kind of worked but for me it was a tad boring and failed to fully engage my interest. Clara was good; enthusiastic and flirty, I thought her exchanges with the Doctor were interesting and charged with a good energy. Certain scenes such as the ascent up The Shard and saving the plane were impressive but overall, it just didn't strike much of a chord with me. :p

Oh Steven ::)

John Hurt to play Ninth Doctor

John Hurt will play the Ninth Doctor in the 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary episode.
The 73-year-old actor's alter-ego will be a regeneration of the Time Lord, which the character has forgotten about, in the special after Christopher Eccleston - who played the ninth incarnation of the Doctor in 2005 - refused to return for the episode after holding talks with showrunner Steven Moffat.
A source told The Sun newspaper: ''John will play the real Ninth Doctor. Christopher Eccleston has always been thought of as the Ninth Doctor but now that John has been revealed as the Ninth Doctor, it shuffles Eccleston's Doctor to be the 10th Time Lord, Tennant the 11th and Smith the 12th.
''It also means the Doctor's time is running out as he can only regenerate 12 times.''
John revealed earlier this week he will play ''part of the Doctor'' in a ''kind of trinity'' with Matt Smith and David Tennant, but the pair's Doctors will initially refuse to accept John's character is one of them until it becomes apparent thanks to their sonic screwdrivers.
The source explained: ''Steven loves a complex plot and there will be plenty of surprises along the way.
''The reason the Doctor has forgotten his ninth incarnation will become clear but it's to do with the Time War and his shame over his behaviour in it.
''Tennant and Smith's Doctors will at first refuse to accept Hurt is them -- until their sonic screwdrivers confirm it and announce, 'He's us. He's the ninth us'.''
John's Doctor has deliberately been given a style similar to both the Eighth Doctor - who was portrayed by Paul McGann - and Christopher's Time Lord.
A source said: ''John was given a very familiar look that goes half way between two regenerations.''
What's more, 'Doctor Who' will be celebrated at the Arqiva BAFTA TV awards on Sunday (12.05.13), in recognition of the programme's 50th anniversary.
Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman - who plays the current Time Lord's assistant Clara Oswald - have pre-recorded a sketch which will be screened at the ceremony to help introduce the brunette beauty on stage to present an award. Two Daleks will also be on the BAFTA red carpet.
Amanda Berry OBE, Chief Executive of BAFTA, said: ''There are only a handful of programmes that have the quality and longevity of 'Doctor Who' and the ability to put the nation on their sofas - or indeed behind them - year after year. BAFTA raises a toast to 'Doctor Who' on its 50th birthday this year.''
Steven added: ''I'm thrilled that BAFTA are including a special tribute to the show.''

Taken from: http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=103035

Danny said:
Oh Steven ::)

John Hurt to play Ninth Doctor

John Hurt will play the Ninth Doctor in the 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary episode.
The 73-year-old actor's alter-ego will be a regeneration of the Time Lord, which the character has forgotten about, in the special after Christopher Eccleston - who played the ninth incarnation of the Doctor in 2005 - refused to return for the episode after holding talks with showrunner Steven Moffat.
A source told The Sun newspaper: ''John will play the real Ninth Doctor. Christopher Eccleston has always been thought of as the Ninth Doctor but now that John has been revealed as the Ninth Doctor, it shuffles Eccleston's Doctor to be the 10th Time Lord, Tennant the 11th and Smith the 12th.
''It also means the Doctor's time is running out as he can only regenerate 12 times.''
John revealed earlier this week he will play ''part of the Doctor'' in a ''kind of trinity'' with Matt Smith and David Tennant, but the pair's Doctors will initially refuse to accept John's character is one of them until it becomes apparent thanks to their sonic screwdrivers.
The source explained: ''Steven loves a complex plot and there will be plenty of surprises along the way.
''The reason the Doctor has forgotten his ninth incarnation will become clear but it's to do with the Time War and his shame over his behaviour in it.
''Tennant and Smith's Doctors will at first refuse to accept Hurt is them -- until their sonic screwdrivers confirm it and announce, 'He's us. He's the ninth us'.''
John's Doctor has deliberately been given a style similar to both the Eighth Doctor - who was portrayed by Paul McGann - and Christopher's Time Lord.
A source said: ''John was given a very familiar look that goes half way between two regenerations.''
What's more, 'Doctor Who' will be celebrated at the Arqiva BAFTA TV awards on Sunday (12.05.13), in recognition of the programme's 50th anniversary.
Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman - who plays the current Time Lord's assistant Clara Oswald - have pre-recorded a sketch which will be screened at the ceremony to help introduce the brunette beauty on stage to present an award. Two Daleks will also be on the BAFTA red carpet.
Amanda Berry OBE, Chief Executive of BAFTA, said: ''There are only a handful of programmes that have the quality and longevity of 'Doctor Who' and the ability to put the nation on their sofas - or indeed behind them - year after year. BAFTA raises a toast to 'Doctor Who' on its 50th birthday this year.''
Steven added: ''I'm thrilled that BAFTA are including a special tribute to the show.''

Taken from: http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=103035

Is this genuinely serious? The line "Tennant and Smith's Doctors will at first refuse to accept Hurt is them -- until their sonic screwdrivers confirm it and announce, 'He's us. He's the ninth us'" almost sounds as though it's a joke?! Like you would see in a parody show, Mitchell and Webb stuff.

Moffat seriously is deluded.

This has been discussed loads on Reddit and some other sites, and has generally been panned and shot down in flames. Also, don't forget that The Sun was the paper whose "sources" said the next Doctor was going to be black and then that Matt Smith was going to be woman! ;)

It's simply a rumour. So I wouldn't go taking it as gospel just yet.

There's a strong rumour/possibility that John Hurt will play 'The Lost Doctor' - a incarnation of the Doctor between the 8th and 9th Doctor but who was lost in time.

But yeah, these are all rumours currently!

A writer of The Doctor Who novels came into my school the other day. He announced that the 50th anniversary will be aired in the autumn. And that there are only 3 more episodes left this series. And of course the Christmas special. His name was Daniel Blythe. :)

Just a heads up.

Due to a massive error on BBC America's part, Series 7: Part 2 DVDs have been sent out early, which has resulted in spoilers on the last episode (The Name of the Doctor) being leaked onto the internet.

Most fan sites have reacted immediately by blocking comments and so on. But just warning people on here to be wary as there are some MAJOR spoilers now surfing the web.

A quick summary of my recent thoughts...

I haven't, admittedly, seen The Cold War, nor the one about the rings or the ghost. But I have seen the episode with the return of the Cybermen and the episode set in Victorian Bradford, and naturally, last night's finale.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of them; the stories were not clearer by any means, but the gist was so much easier to interpret. I thought last night's episode was great; the TARDIS tomb was inventive and John Hurt? Wow.

Can't wait for the special in November.

After completely going off the series around series 5/6, I've thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of episodes. Especially last nights. Moffat managed a finale which answered something for once!

The tone of the whole episode was brilliantly creepy, and the lack of Mumbo Jumbo made for a much easier to follow story. Even when the questions began getting answered, it all made perfect sense. I'd loved it through to the last scene, which I imagined was just going to end up with the usual mopey Matt Smith stuff before getting back to the TARDIS. But then THAT reveal. :eek:

Holy Moly Moffat was not wrong when he said this episode changed everything. I'm definitely a fan again!

How on earth did they manage to keep this quiet for so long?!

I can't wait to see the episode in November to see what happens and to see how they do it. I'm becoming quite interested in Doctor Who after missing the last few episodes before the Cybermen due to becoming bored.

So, Matt Smith's Doctor is technically the 12th? This means that there will only be one more regeneration then, yes?