• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dollywood: General Discussion

Join Ned Oakley in Spring 2023 on our largest family adventure yet: Big Bear Mountain. This multi-launch coaster contains 3,990 ft. of track, expanding Wildwood Grove with a six-acre ride. Prepare for things to get BIG by watching our exclusive first look at ride animation.

This all-new coaster features 3,990 ft. of track, on-board audio, three launches with a top speed of 48 mph—all with a height requirement of just 39", so even the youngest adventurers can take part - via
Expedition Theme Park @ExpThemePark
https://twitter.com/ExpThemePark

Dollywood’s largest ever park expansion, Wildwood Grove, is getting even bigger! Debuting in the spring of 2023, Big Bear Mountain will be the longest coaster at Dollywood, taking guests of all ages on an unforgettable family-friendly expedition in search of the Big Bear. Circling Wildwood Grove for nearly two minutes on 3,990 ft. of track, this gigantic coaster is a first of its kind at Dollywood with onboard audio, including music and announcements from Ned Oakley himself.

Register for our 2023 Season Pass Pre-Sale, now through Sept. 30, to be among the first to experience this thrilling new attraction and receive the guaranteed lowest price on 2023 Season Passes. - via https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides/big-bear-mountain/
This looks a great family coaster.

Last edited:
Already the park I havent visited I want to visit more than any other park. Now with extra reasons.

Last edited:
How so? I think the layout looks pretty good, surprisingly long.
It could be four miles long for all I care, the length means nothing. The general consensus was that it was going to be something like Hagrids. Considering this is their most expensive investment ever, it looks underwhelming for what is being delivered.

I've already been bitten by Firechaser Expresss at this park for thinking it looked like a solid family coaster, only for it to be gash when riding it. This offers nothing new to the park compared to what is already there.

It could be four miles long for all I care, the length means nothing. The general consensus was that it was going to be something like Hagrids. Considering this is their most expensive investment ever, it looks underwhelming for what is being delivered.

I've already been bitten by Firechaser Expresss at this park for thinking it looked like a solid family coaster, only for it to be gash when riding it. This offers nothing new to the park compared to what is already there.
That's fair, but remember that you're not the target audience. 😉

That's fair, but remember that you're not the target audience. 😉
Why am I not? It's a family ride. What if I wanted to take my kid? Can I not ride as I'm not the target audience of a family as prescribed by you?

Wasted that space with this really. The coaster itself doesn't look too bad for what it is, but given that they already have Firechaser Express, a standard family multi-launch was the wrong choice. Could have been a launched family flying coaster, motorbike seating, an extreme or family launched spinner. Wasted potential.
Who is the manufacturer? The track in that promo looks like Togo, surely not?

Wasted that space with this really. The coaster itself doesn't look too bad for what it is, but given that they already have Firechaser Express, a standard family multi-launch was the wrong choice. Could have been a launched family flying coaster, motorbike seating, an extreme or family launched spinner. Wasted potential.
Who is the manufacturer? The track in that promo looks like Togo, surely not?
It's Vekoma, but you're right; it's wasted potential. A motorbike coaster would have been great.

Dollywood reps have clearly been to Energylandia. An uninspiring slow launch coaster but with junior coaster trains is right up their street.

I think it looks fairly good, but to be fair I like Icon. I suppose you could see it as Icon without the inversions. Or a modern day Lisebergbanen.

I think it looks decent, although if this is accurate maybe the theming could do with a little more. Dollywood's never going to afford a Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars, but it would have been cool if it ended with some kind of proper cave. The tunnel with the bear roaring is a bit anti climatic. The middle section with the waterfalls reminds me of Cheetah Hunt when it uses the old Rhino Rally section, but other parts are maybe a little lacklustre. Although $25 million is a lot, costs have been rising a lot in the last few years ago. $25 million doesn't buy you as much as it used to.

Last edited:
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s wrong with FireChaser Express? I always thought it looked decent myself, so I’m a bit disheartened to hear that it isn’t.

This looks fun! I’ll admit that it looks to be a little less thrilling than I was expecting, but it should be a nice family ride, and the height restriction should give it wide appeal! Besides, I’m sure that 48mph top speed will ensure that it’s anything but dull!

Really looks lame and does nothing spectacular for the length.

Horrible colour scheme as well.

Only positive is the ride goi g through rocks / waterfalls

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s wrong with FireChaser Express? I always thought it looked decent myself, so I’m a bit disheartened to hear that it isn’t.

This looks fun! I’ll admit that it looks to be a little less thrilling than I was expecting, but it should be a nice family ride, and the height restriction should give it wide appeal! Besides, I’m sure that 48mph top speed will ensure that it’s anything but dull!

I thought it looked decent from the POVs. It's well themed, yes. But other than that, it's slow.

Dull.

Forceless.

The reverse launch is weak.

It was my most anticipated family coaster of the entire trip. I was utterly dissappinted and let down as I'd been looking forward to riding it for years.

I love Dollywood, but this new coaster really isn't the announcement I (and many others in the wider internetsphere) were expecting. But hey, apparently I'm not the target audience, so what does that matter.

Looks fun.

Interesting that the great Vekoma comeback hasn't really troubled the US, perhaps this is the start of it.