• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I always facepalm whenever I see someone post "I think Merlin should buy Park X! Then I could get in free with my MAP!"

Seriously, no. The only thing worse than a Merlin buy out would be a BPB buy out... followed swiftly by a swarm of bulldozers.

To be honest it’s parents like me who keep uk theme parks going as there’s lads In there 20’s at my work place who haven’t been to Alton Towers. My parents always took us to both Drayton and Alton upto I was about 17 then I went with my m8s now even they don’t go to Theme parks anymore so there kids are missing out.
CBeebies isn’t on par with Thomas land. CBeebies is targeted for the under 5 where Thomas land is aimed for anyone under 1.2m tall.

If Merlin bought Drayton then they'd probably just asset strip it. They'd take any IP they want, move out some of the flat rides and then close it. I can't personally imagine them wanting to run another park so close to their signature park.

As for the Mack family... keep dreaming. They have no interest in building an empire and have enough to keep them busy at Europa-Park.

Merlin dominate the theme park industry already, but Drayton and their ingenious idea of Thomas Land have really shaped the landscape of the industry, influencing the expansions of most if not all UK theme parks. They have most likely inspired Paulton's who have really started to do well with their additions of PPW and the Dinosaur area, Cbeebies Land, Nickelodeon land, Thorpe changing its focus from solely teenagers ect. and the huge use of IPs in UK theme parks in general (which sadly is being misinterpreted by Merlin marketing and is now becoming an overused fad as well all know) Removing this competition as the above say, would be disastrous for the UK theme park industry.
In fairness Drayton would fit Merlins portfolio quiet nicely- but I fail to see the point in owning parks so close together
And this explains exactly why Drayton were clever and competed with AT on the thrill market in the 90s and early 00s. Had Drayton purely followed a particular market, and been solely aimed at kids or very young families, I think Merlin would have been much more aggressive in a present context. I suppose you could use an economies of scale argument to explain why Merlin against all odds would want to take them over, but part of the appeal of Drayton for tonnes of people, enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike, is that Drayton is not owned by Merlin, is family owned, and does not share their business practices. I’m not saying it is impossible, but its pretty unlikely that a full on takeover would happen. The scale is different, but the offering is similar.
On a brighter note, here's a video of Stormforce 10 testing on the morning of its opening day in '99! Look at the old colors on Shockwave and its station, and notice the stage at the front to celebrate what was then 50 years of Drayton Manor and launch the ride itself

Last edited:
@Sauron97 - the thing is - why we’re Merlin at Drayton? It’s not like they have some super new rods hardware to look at. The only thing I can see is to either a) look at a purchase of or investment in the park b) look at how they could use the Thomas land ip(I hear it’s up for grabs soon or c) go to a park in a worst state that theirs just to give them justification they are running their parks well

Logically I only see a) as with ownership or investment surely they get the rights to the Thomas land ip then? The cynic in me would say c)

There is something in the - I just don’t know what. And really don’t know whether it’s a good thing or not

The park needs investment. With Merlin it will get that and security but at what cost? As you have said @Sauron97 part of the appeal of Drayton was its family run nature. Sadly I think it will loose its sparkle if it sold out.

It is quite common for Merlin to visit other parks just as it is common in all markets to check out what the competition are up to.

Towers staff for example have visited Europa in the not so distance past, I mean that must have depressed the hell out of them, but hey.

Probably to see if they were still giving away those wretched Smiler beanie things on the game stalls.

@Sauron97 - the thing is - why we’re Merlin at Drayton? It’s not like they have some super new rods hardware to look at. The only thing I can see is to either a) look at a purchase of or investment in the park b) look at how they could use the Thomas land ip(I hear it’s up for grabs soon or c) go to a park in a worst state that theirs just to give them justification they are running their parks well

Logically I only see a) as with ownership or investment surely they get the rights to the Thomas land ip then? The cynic in me would say c)

There is something in the - I just don’t know what. And really don’t know whether it’s a good thing or not

The park needs investment. With Merlin it will get that and security but at what cost? As you have said @Sauron97 part of the appeal of Drayton was its family run nature. Sadly I think it will loose its sparkle if it sold out.
Good analysis. I was told that it was not an ordinary visit. Whatever that means I have no idea; it could be a lot of things. I don't think it's a very good thing that it has happened during this year of all years, but as we've all said, a takeover is not very likely at all. I'd go as far to say extremely unlikely. It most likely is to do with the other points you've raised.
As for your c) suggestion, I think that is a particularly interesting and potentially truthful statement. With their main competition in what you could only describe as a crisis, it gives them a lot of leverage to sit back and argue that they are the best theme park in the UK.

Also, something interesting that I thought I might share which a lot of people will overlook regarding the Rainforest Pizza cafe at DMP
It was no coincidence that the large Cafe opened in 2002; a year after the Jungle Cruise closed. It is a dimly lit restaurant similar to the 'Rainforest Cafe' chain in style and presentation, featuring animatronics and surround sound audio techniques. Whilst it is not really used anymore, a long time ago, the light levels would alter and darken every now and then and a 'thunderstorm' would commence. Sadly the animatronics are very rarely used nowadays, but as far as I'm aware, they do still function.
On the wall opposite the ordering area, you will notice this statue right next to some of the seating, which looks pretty ancient and enigmatic.
47577475_2081092581913999_6873514224266510336_n.jpg

If you have ultra keen eyes you may recognize that this is in fact a very large piece of theming from the old Jungle Cruise, and was moved in the 2001 closed season by Space Leisure and placed in to the cafe where it sits today. The object was on the exterior of the Jungle Cruise finale, where (inside) a medicine man/shaman wax figure was seen cooking a person. As someone who has memories of going on the Jungle Cruise as a young child (as it so happens during its last season of operation) it is quite an interesting and meaningful thing for me. I was actually pretty scared, and I remember wanting to get out of the boat and trying to avoid the water dripping off the flaps of the boat :laughing:
On an old Drayton Manor postcard, you can clearly see the object.
latest

On Drayton's 65th anniversary video, they released some previously rare footage of the Jungle Cruise being built in 1976. The clip briefly shows this very piece of theming being lifted up as foundations for the finale building had just been completed. So it has quite some history to it.
47680627_2081104595246131_6932025560172331008_o.jpg

Some other cool and relevant facts:
-Some of the animatronics used also existed within the Jungle Cruise, although had been changed and remodeled over time. As I mentioned quite a number of months back, I spoke to a Drayton staff member who was tasked with giving the Jungle Cruise an overhaul and repaint in 2000, who wasn't pleased with the fact that his work was removed a little over a year later.
-The parrots and toucan in the centre of the rainforest pizza was from the old Jungle Palladium show which was designed by Space Leisure themselves in 1985; starring the park mascot Rory the Lion. This show, if anyone didn't already know, featured animal animatronics and was situated in the exact same building as Golden Nuggets/Sheriffs Showdown. In 1999, the building was cleared and some of the animatronics were moved in to the Fish and Chip restaurant the year after. After Apocalypse was built the show was a little overshadowed, especially with being situated right behind the large drop tower, so the decision was made to end the shows.
-The Hamilton suite area (including where the old cafe/show was) is featured on the mid-term plans submitted to Lichfield Council as being the site of a potential new hotel. With everything we now know; these plans will definitely be pushed back in some form, as they involve a lot of investment.
-Not all of the Jungle Cruise theming was moved once Project Neptune had taken over the area. The palace facade remained during the operation of Excalibur, and was repainted to fit the greyish-blue of Excalibur's castle buildings. In fact it still exists now, but is in a terrible state. It can be seen from the Tamarin Trail.
Obviously the rainforest cafe still exists, although the bright LED battens used now make the area a lot brighter and less visually appealing. The area outside was also redeveloped, firstly in 2002 where animatronic elephants existed opposite the Meerkat Manor building. Then in 2004 when these were removed, and replaced with African totems which would make drumming sounds triggered by motion sensors when you went near them. A final change was made last year, when the toilet building around the back of the Haunting was redesigned to fit the Jungle theme.
Apologies for the long post :)

Last edited:
I went yesterday. Very busy. Spoke to guest services. They are having one pass next season. Will be released over next few weeks. They are just finishing some things out. So it’s £110 for adults £95 for 4-11 year olds. If you buy 4 passes the price drops for £95 per pass. Parking included. No paper vouchers now u can download them or something similar.

I went yesterday. Very busy. Spoke to guest services. They are having one pass next season. Will be released over next few weeks. They are just finishing some things out. So it’s £110 for adults £95 for 4-11 year olds. If you buy 4 passes the price drops for £95 per pass. Parking included. No paper vouchers now u can download them or something similar.
That sounds expensive, considering Alton towers season pass is what, £50 just now?

Alton season pass has a ton of blackout days and has been seen as "too cheap".

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk
Yeah, the blackout days really sucks. At least you can go any day to Drayton, though. I could be wrong but at most places you only need to visit twice for the season pass to be worthwhile?

If it’s just the one pass, does it cover Christmas and February half term still?

We also went to see Santa. Don’t bother unless ur a pas holders. I took three kids. Who all got Thomas land bauble. Not sure what we will do with three baubles, a ticket for a free child entry. We are pass holders so won’t get to use them. And a chocolate bar. Paid £20 for photo no discount for pass holders.

We also went to fireworks which were amazing but my niece spilt hot choc all over her legs screamed the place down. Member of staff came over and said if we want first aid to go guest services! N

Not sure if it includes I hope so. Also hoping u get a discount for renewing as you use to get a discount if u renewed ur pass and I will be renewing all ours except my hubbys. I took the kids at least once a month last season so worked out well for us. My parents are also ex forces so they could take the kids for free using the kids passes