• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

Certainly looks better than it did back in October, when it was partially covered in a white tent and the neck was stripped back to all of the mechanisms!

The Flying Dutchman’s water curtain will be replaced with a new scene on April 1st. The new scene will use physical props and effects to take guests through a boat cemetery.

Very pleased to hear about this change - I’ve never found the water curtain to be very reliable.
Sounds great, I'll be there at the end of May so looking forward to seeing this! I like a well used projection but physical theming suits Efteling much better.

It was a great effect when it worked.

And that's the problem. It wasn't reliable and certainly can remember it not working just as much as working. Which was always funny when the music grew to a crescendo in sheer blackness.

As long as the scene stays just as misty and dim as before I’ll be happy. Going into that room is one of my favourite moments of any ride. So dramatic and tense.

Yes going in to that room such a great part of the ride. A simple effect but oh so effective. Pretty sure the water curtain always worked on my two visits to the park but I can understand why they are replacing it seeing as it was so problematic.

I’ve not ridden DVH for a few years so forgive me the question, but is this the water curtain on the lift hill or the dark misty room after the galleon scene?

Well you did manage to miss the Elsa animatronic when we rode Frozen Ever After, sooo… 😉

To be fair, it’s one of those that even when it worked wasn’t always particularly clear and easy to tell what was going on. A shame really as the visual of the ghost ship appearing from the fog and crashing down in front of you was pretty exciting.

You get a pretty good view of it in this low-light POV:

ridden it twice, didn’t work first time, worked second time. Trouble with it is if it doesn’t work it really impacts the experience of the ride so I can see why they are replacing it.

So they've replaced the wooden track on Joris to make it easier to maintain and got rid of the waterfall on the Flying Dutchman. According to Loopings, they're also planning to replace the electric cars on Symbolica with a fleet of donkeys. Visitors will be encouraged to bring their own carrots.

So they've replaced the wooden track on Joris to make it easier to maintain and got rid of the waterfall on the Flying Dutchman. According to Loopings, they're also planning to replace the electric cars on Symbolica with a fleet of donkeys. Visitors will be encouraged to bring their own carrots.
I don't actually mind that idea, you might actually get a unique tour for once...