• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

I'm not that familiar with this Attractions history, but what exactly is going to be different and new from this refurbishment?
I believe they've re-done the lighting throughout the ride and tidied up the scenes and the animatronics.

So nothing that'll change the ride, which is fine because its already amazing.

From the video the most interesting thing is they've added new connecting ties from the track to the supports and removed the old ones.

I believe they've re-done the lighting throughout the ride and tidied up the scenes and the animatronics.

So nothing that'll change the ride, which is fine because its already amazing.

From the video the most interesting thing is they've added new connecting ties from the track to the supports and removed the old ones.
Thank you both for clarifying my question! The lighting does look top notch from what we've seen, but that's probably just a glimpse of it. It'll be interesting to see the final product at full swing.

I'm not that familiar with this Attractions history, but what exactly is going to be different and new from this refurbishment?
Almost nothing really noticeable. Efteling are one of those parks that, even more than Disney, seem reluctant to do anything at all to substantively change the experience of their older attractions. Probably because nostalgia and fan service is much more at play here than at many other parks.

Which is fine up to a point because Dreamflight is great. But in ten years' time when a lot more European parks have impressive modern dark rides, rides like Dreamflight are going to start to feel very dated. I think Disney get the balance right between keeping the essence of the original ride while making major changes and improvements to the actual fabric of it. See Haunted Mansion, which is somehow (to steal a line from John Peel) exactly the same as the original yet at the same time completely different.

Almost nothing really noticeable. Efteling are one of those parks that, even more than Disney, seem reluctant to do anything at all to substantively change the experience of their older attractions. Probably because nostalgia and fan service is much more at play here than at many other parks.

Which is fine up to a point because Dreamflight is great. But in ten years' time when a lot more European parks have impressive modern dark rides, rides like Dreamflight are going to start to feel very dated. I think Disney get the balance right between keeping the essence of the original ride while making major changes and improvements to the actual fabric of it. See Haunted Mansion, which is somehow (to steal a line from John Peel) exactly the same as the original yet at the same time completely different.
Excluding Carnival Festival, I think it’s more the case that the attractions are done to such a high standard in the first place, that not much needs doing aside from maintenance.

The new lighting system is quite an upgrade however.

Eftewesley has uploaded the updated Dreamflight POV and, to see what changes have been made, I watched it side by side with his 2022 Dreamflight POV.

30 years old and the ride is still looking gorgeous 🙌✨💖🧚‍♀️

The greatest difference is definitely the lighting. The lighting did age the ride a great deal last time I was on it, due to the warm sepia tones in nearly every scene. But now they've added in more blues, whites, greens, maybe a few pinks to break it up.

Other changes, as seen in Efteling's preview video with the team, are the fairies. Some have been swapped with updated models, redressed, a proportion have a more diverse skin and hair range and, others have clearer wing movements whether they're flying or sat down (see around 2:04 to 2:30). And King Oberon's animatronic at 2:45 must have been completely replaced, he's looking much livelier than before where he barely moved his hand and left foot.

Those are the most evident changes I can see, which I'm really liking. Perhaps the Efteling fan forums have been able to spot far more changes than me and the Eftepedia articles will get a full update.

Some more information and concept art for Danse Macabre has landed!
With a new video on the official YouTube channel and detailed write up with concept art on the Efteling blog.

0307dansmac1.jpg

I’m starting to research a trip to Efteling for next year. Our group could potentially include the grandparents - who will be 70ish and definitely not up for anything that moves too fast - they’re more coming along to reminisce as they used to live in Germany in the 70s. Question is, is there stuff for them to do? They’re mobile so could walk the forest but suffer vertigo so I’m not even sure if the likes of Symbolica will be suitable - does anyone have any thoughts please? They refuse to do Towers as they don’t do any rides and feel it’s expensive to just walk the gardens - so wondering if Efteling would suit them better?

TLDR: is Efteling suitable/interesting for the aged parents who don’t do rides?

Thanks!

Absolutely. If I was taking anyone older to a park, Efteling would probably be my go-to choice. There’s plenty of more subdued and gentle rides. The likes of Dream Flight, Symbolica and Gondoleta, as well as non-ride attractions like the fairytale forest dioramas should make for a good day out without ever having to touch the likes of Python, Joris and Baron. There’s also the stream train around the park and Raveleijn which is a great show to fill part of the day with. If you’re staying until later Aquanura is also a great way to round the day off and good for all ages.

There seems to be a real time-honoured tradition in the Netherlands of grandparents taking their grandchildren to Efteling. You’ll usually see plenty of older guests around the park. It’s quite the national treasure. There’s far more to do than at Towers.

And I say all of this as someone who likes Efteling but wouldn’t call themself a fanboy 😂

Yes there should be plenty for them to do. You’ve got the fairytale forest which you could easily lose a couple of hours in or more, and a few other walk through bits such as the museum, diorama, Volk Van Laff.

Plenty of gentle rides which they will probably enjoy too like the steam train, monorail, Pagode (might not be great for vertigo but I’ve no experience of it so not sure), Gondoletta, Fata Morgana, Fabula 4d film, Carnaval Festival, all super slow, gentle rides which I’d imagine would be fine for older people who don’t like to be thrown around on rides.

Thanks both - that’s really helpful. Vertigo excludes the Pagode & the 4d unfortunately- anything where body and eyes experience different things and they’re ill for days! Steam train, museum, diorama & forest sound right up their street though 👍

Apologies if you've been to Efteling already, but I'd say Symbolica and Carnaval Festival would be suitable too. Neither of those do you feel like you're at height at any point, and there's no optical illusions as such. There's 1 moment in Fata Morgana (a very effective, yet subtle trommel towards the end) that might be triggering, and whilst there's no illusions in Dreamflight, you are suspended at height throughout the ride.

Apologies if you've been to Efteling already, but I'd say Symbolica and Carnaval Festival would be suitable too. Neither of those do you feel like you're at height at any point, and there's no optical illusions as such. There's 1 moment in Fata Morgana (a very effective, yet subtle trommel towards the end) that might be triggering, and whilst there's no illusions in Dreamflight, you are suspended at height throughout the ride.
Thanks - I think they’ll probably steer clear as they will worry about feeling ill. But they seem interested in the things that don’t move so fingers crossed everyone will enjoy something.

There was a fire in the Raveleijn show arena this morning. No injuries, and fortunately the fire seems to have been brought under control, but some pretty dramatic photos and video have been released. Wouldn't be surprised if the show is put on hold temporarily while the damage is repaired and the incident investigated.

Last edited: