• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fantasy Island, Skegness, England

Unfortunately Fantasy Island has a reputation that goes before it. I've never been (well I have, but it was when I was a lot younger and not into coasters so have little memory of the place) even though it is relatively close to me compared to others on here. But when all you hear about the place is that there's a good chance of the stand out coaster being closed due to wind you get put off. Can't see my lack of visiting changing any time soon.

:)

If it is my views that are challenged, I have been for 2 seasons in a row so how experienced the ops (Some of Nicole's family live down the road in Skeg) I fee;l things need to be criticised as a family run joint (Bottons) down the road trumps everything except a large coaster over Fantasy Island

Are you sayng Bottons is better than FI??? o_O

Yes. Sue me. Better staff, rides are better as they are actually open (even in the rain) and much better value for money on wristbands. Phantasialand it isn't, but it is better than Fantasy Island.

Each to their own I guess. To me though, the 2 actually good Vekomas alone (never mind the other stuff) beat a Fabri spinner, and a couple of Pinfari kiddy coasters.

Each to their own I guess. To me though, the 2 actually good Vekomas alone (never mind the other stuff) beat a Fabri spinner, and a couple of Pinfari kiddy coasters.

The problem is that both Vekomas are never bloody open. My stance is on cost v availability. Hardware v Hardware FI will always win (Bottons has no big coasters, although the spinner at Bottons is better than the one at FI) but park v park standards Bottons is better value. FI wouldn't take much to be a very decent park but the culture there is not at the moment a very good one.

I'll happily praise FI when they pull their fingers out for ops etc. Hardware v Hardware Thorpe Park should destroy BPB but with how it actually is, BPB is a match imo to TP.

*Insert opinion markers here*

Once again, there's a lot of out-of-date rubbish being talked here. This is the park's first full season in administration and operations have improved massively.

You should take a leap of faith and revist.

Reactions: D4n
I've been twice, in '08 and a few months ago. I have to say that more rides were open 7 years ago than on my recent visit.

Instead of wastng money on repaints for rides that are in far better condition than anything at Towers, they should be getting rid of the black market and build a proper fence to keep out all the scum.

A fence, no. I like it's an open park. Re-arranging the place and separating the market off is a good idea

Burn the market and fire the ashes in to the sun. But all parks need a fence to keep out the riff raff.

Yes. Sue me. Better staff, rides are better as they are actually open (even in the rain) and much better value for money on wristbands. Phantasialand it isn't, but it is better than Fantasy Island.
Goodness... Bottons is an awful awful place. Its safety record speaks for itself and although Fantasy has had its fair share of issues, the ride line up vs. value has always been pretty positive for me.

It's a three hour trip for me and has therefore become an annual visit for myself. Millennium is smoother than a Disney Vekoma, Odyssey is an inverted version of the Ultimate. Amazing Confusion - WOW!

Amazing Confusion is pretty good. The ONE ridecycle it opened for in my full day.

I can only go off my experience. I give them a chance every time. Bottons record? Latest incident was a ride with no restraint having a toddler getting out. Previous one I can think of is less pleasant....

I'll give anything a chance, hell I'd ride Infusion if it improves, or Bandit. But for now, no. Same here....

I found the Beast to be good too. Shame it never worked out when they installed the Fabbri Booster on the other side of the road

I was in Skegness last week and we went to fantasy island one day, we didn't actually do any rides as there weather was a bit naff and have done it all before.

They are currently painting the coaster with three or four people on different cherry pickers around the ride.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445712340.735923.jpg

I really don't get why, when the coaster looks fine anyway, they're wasting their money doing this. After my very disappointing visit in summer 2013 it's going to take far more than that to get me back to the place. As for UK amusement parks, the likes of Great Yarmouth PB, Adventure Island and BPB are leagues ahead of this place.

^ It's in administration. There is going to be a conscious effort to protect their assets, the most valuable single asset is probably Odyssey. It's by the coast, metal fatigue is rife.

So I'm here today (only in passing!) and the paint job is looking good. Odyssey is running regularly with full train loads:
ed340d21c2a94d043c15adb79b82f4c3.jpg

d9155cb64d3989a9c75ef5bddbc9ff7e.jpg

ea4108f86f17abb0dfc0207a97069a60.jpg

In addition, are these new trains?
fcb410392f5604d79cfeb40a0024c511.jpg

Yes and no..... It was sent to Vekoma for a full refurbishment last winter, most parts were replaced so you could call it new.... but it's not.

It's a shame they didn't spend a few extra £'s on getting one of the brand new Vekoma trains.