• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fantasy Island, Skegness, England

It hasn't actually been empty for that long though. After McDonalds it became the mobolity shop, and then it opened up as Burger King which closed last winter IIRC.

But yeah, seems like nothing will succeed in that building.

Is it actually outside the park fences? If park guests and market goers can't walk to it then this holds it back, I see that there's a drive-thru window and I can't think there would be much passing car traffic. No point keeping a failing building, especially if a Burger King only lasted for a year.

Most people don't go to the seaside for a maccy d's, yes they will certainly sell food, but majority of folk go for fish and chips or food in the local cafes

You can directly access the market from the car park if I remember correctly

Well that and there's another mc Donald's on site anyway. It's by the entrance to Millenium and still operates I believe. That one is very much a walk up and take away and seems to do good business. The other one seemed to be a drive-thru and eat in which seemed less popular. But who knows.

It was great when it opened as it was the only one for miles, then the one in Skeg was built and the FI one moved to the side when the new frontage was installed in 2010.

It's crying out for some investment in that area, hopefully this will be the time they do it

Fantasy Island has new owners ..... Mellor' s Group - It's been announced on Facebook :
'Fantasy Fans, we wanted to tell YOU first….. Fantasy Island has, this morning, been bought by major international leisure group, Mellors Group. This brings stability, investment and new rides. We can’t wait to share more with you… http://bit.ly/1nkTAeg '

They definitely deserve a chance. Realistically I don’t know what people were expecting. Disneyland Skegness was never likely. At least it’s gone to an established operator who presumably knows what they’re doing.

I’m not necessarily expecting to immediately see investments on the scale of Odyssey or the Millennium Coaster, but hopefully we’ll see at least one decent new ride in the next couple of years. I know some people are immediately going to think of M&Ds (not that I’ve actually been there, and in fairness they seem to be Scotland’s best theme park), but Mellors have delivered some of the largest travelling rides in the UK. Given how many seaside amusement parks have closed down I’m pleased to see that Fantasy Island can now have a bit of stability.

Personally I'll always have a soft spot for Mellors. They showed a keen interest in the American Adventure site before it was so callously sold off for housing, and they painstakingly converted the Runaway Train to a travelling thrill ride.

They have shown years of dedication to the travelling circuit and have the passion to make a difference. What on earth were you expecting apart from "Fair Tat"? Never in a million years will that market be removed, and there's no other physical capacity at present for anything more to be put in!!

http://www.mellorsgroupevents.com/fantasyislandskeg.html

Had a mooch around at the management.

They seem to have some seriously experienced business heads, I know I moan about Merlin's - well - everything ;), but FI probably needed precisely this to keep it ticking over.

I wish them every success.

We need as many functioning, well maintained and well running parks in the UK as possible.

Let's hope this represents a success for the park & the Mellor's as we'll all benefit from it ultimately.

As an enthusiast, I am glad to see a park seemingly teetering on the brink, saved.

I think this is great news, they have a passion for all things amusement, ad the park needs someone who is passionate.

Perhaps we might see the runaway train installed here?

I think this is great news, they have a passion for all things amusement, ad the park needs someone who is passionate.

Perhaps we might see the runaway train installed here?

Ahhhh that would be fantastic!

Their Starflyer may make an appearance too, who knows.

No doubt the place will end up with a Big Wheel though ;)

Seeing The American Adventure's Runaway Train being installed permanently on this site would be incredible, especially if the mountains were to be re-built.

AA's RMT was and still is by far the best powered coaster I've ever had the fortune to ride... By a clear mile. If this was to re-open I would be over the moon and they really would have a ride to be proud of. It was always very under rated when it was at AA.