• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

February Half Term 2013 line-up announced

It's a real shame about Sub Terra - all indoor / dark rides must be prioritised for February in event of poor weather conditions.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Why on earth is there no Th13teen/Charlie/Terra on this list?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

It never even crossed my mind not seeing Charlie on that list! I'm afraid if they're marketing this as a family event then Charlie is a must have for such an event.

I would assume Th13teen and Terra is due to the systems they use - and Charlie due to the water freezing at night.

Although saying that, they should be aiming to have all, if not, as many indoor rides open as possible.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra isn't opening at Half Term due to the amount of maintenance it needs. Currently one elevator is seriously damaged and needs many parts replacing and the other isn't far behind. The effects and building need work as well as the queue line TV's and Towers.

Rita will be having a lot of maintenance due to the launch track and tunnel being built underneath as well as TH13TEEN needing it's usual bucket load of TLC.

James said:
I heard the tunnels are being removed over closed season? ???

The tunnels made of scaffolding are being removed and a permanent tunnel spanning the whole launch section is being constructed :)

I don't believe any of this stuff about the cold.

I'm sure if Towers wanted to, and if they spent a little bit of money, they could open whichever rides they wanted. I doubt there's any that are impossible to get running in February.

But they won't do it because of cash. If Charlie's waters really freeze at night (sounds unlikely) then it wouldn't be hard for Towers to keep them slightly warmed or in motion overnight. :)

Ah that's interesting. Hopefully the tunnel will be nicely themed anyway!

Charlie's water freezing overnight was just a guess. I've heard in past years they have problems with the water. But as you say, it is most likely due to cash. Half term is rather quiet and rides such as Charlie, Th13teen and Terra cost a lot to run, they are quite high maintenance rides. So I guess they take the decision to save money and keep them closed.

It's a shame events like these have stayed the same for years though. Alton Towers need to boost the winter and half term events and start introducing more to entice the public.

siralgenon said:
James said:
I heard the tunnels are being removed over closed season? ???

The tunnels made of scaffolding are being removed and a permanent tunnel spanning the whole launch section is being constructed :)

I'm confused, is this a tunnel COVERING the launch or underneath it?! ???

Then the vines ripped out a year later with just nails on show...

Still, you never know with Alton Towers. They may surprise us.

LiamC said:
I'm confused, is this a tunnel COVERING the launch or underneath it?! ???
It will be underneath the launch. :)

It will be underneath the launch, covering the path. Just H&S gone mad really, it's been absolutely fine between 2005 and earlier this year, then one cable snap when the park is open and bam, something has to be done.

:)

The Feb Half term event is being aimed at families this year. Makes sense to me as the family rides cope better in the cold weather. The larger rides don't do we'll in the cold as can be seen by how much they struggled this feb. I don't think it's anything due to budgets. Obviously it also likely makes sense to do a little push on the family side of the park before the marketing goes full-on thrill seeker in March.

As for Rita the fix for the cable issue will hopefully be better than the scaffolding we have now but at least they added some cursory theming to the scaffold tunnels rather than just leave em blank

Now I might be being utterly daft here, but we're talking February and a ride based in water.

Could Charlie actually freeze up?? Dan is right though, indoor rides in what is usually a very cold month, seems a prerequisite really?

If the pumps are outside then yes Charlie could freeze up over night.
Bubbleworks at chessington ran last closed season in the zoo days but 1 day I went it was soo cold the water had frozen over as the pumps were outside.

Apologies my post appeared to have already been answered, for some reason none of those posts showed when I read it! Thanks for the answers anyway. Maybe I missed a page or something.

Apologies there anyway!

I think we are quite lucky we are getting anything, for quite a while I belive Feb Half term had been cancelled and all mentions of it on the website and promotional material had been removed. But now its got a sponsor it wouldnt surprise me if that is why its happening.

It does seem they are aiming this completly at families and children, I know my 8 year old brother loves Moshi Monsters and im sure loads more children do, so it will probably be a big hit. We have only lost Oblivion but have gained Ice age and a few other smaller attractions. Its a shame Charlie doesnt open. I can understand Sub Terra as it will probably get work over the closed season and with it being aimed solely it adults and the event is mainly aimed at children.