• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2022

The NOTAM has more detail and confirms they will be flying 100 drones

b9607143d89367de0480d7f9f0c07808.png

Going to be very interesting to see how they use the drones. I guess my main worry is that when they end up spending more on extras for the show there is less money available for the fireworks themselves. Hopefully there won't be too many dead spots.

Looks like the weather is going to be good enough for the drones to go up this weekend, but I wonder what their contingencies are if that was to change.

I’m a bit skeptical about this year’s show.

After doing some research, a 10 minute display featuring 100 drones is around £45,000 per show. This is based on retail pricing so I’m sure the park have secured more favourable corporate rates, but then the show is pushing 30 minutes.

As others have said I just hope all this extra cost isn’t at the expense of the actual fireworks.

Perhaps the use of drones is a goodwill gesture to local residents regarding less noise?

Also - the story premise being centred around the park’s major coasters - we had that last year.

Crikey I’m pessimistic today!

I’m a bit skeptical about this year’s show.

After doing some research, a 10 minute display featuring 100 drones is around £45,000 per show. This is based on retail pricing so I’m sure the park have secured more favourable corporate rates, but then the show is pushing 30 minutes.

As others have said I just hope all this extra cost isn’t at the expense of the actual fireworks.

Perhaps the use of drones is a goodwill gesture to local residents regarding less noise?

Also - the story premise being centred around the park’s major coasters - we had that last year.

Crikey I’m pessimistic today!
Obviously the proof is in the pudding as they say and we'll find out this weekend.

But we have no accurate idea of how much the event costs each year or how much of the budget is allocated to which part of the show. Last year, there was a clear increase in budget (a DJ set, loads of screens, more lighting, lasers, CO2 cannons etc). For all we know, this year the budget is even higher because someone suggested drones; a higher budget was requested and got approved. Just because more things are added into the show, doesn't necessarily mean other parts of the show have been reduced accordingly.

Hopefully, the addition of drones this year is a sign they are building on the success of last year's show and not pandering to the Karens complaining the fireworks are too loud.

I mean, maybe wait and see what the show is like before rubbishing it based on very little information.
I havent rubbished the show. The idea of basing it on coaster brands has been done. The theme will probably just be a vehicle for a good spectacle though.

Well they can't exactly do a show based on current flat or dark rides, so coasters are the next best bet...
Have you seen how other big parks do shows? They dont always have to be ride brands. They can be brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen how other big theme parks outside Merlin do shows? They dont have to be ride brands if the park's whole theme is strong enough or there's a good idea. They can be brilliant!
Plenty of times, thanks for asking.

The issue is that Towers' fireworks displays have in previous years been driven by their marketing team, not creative minds. As the coasters and the Towers ruins are the most marketable assets the resort have, that's why they've been the most consistent commodity in the displays. Perhaps one day the story will be passed to an actual creative storytelling team.

I havent rubbished the show. The idea of basing it on coaster backstories and brands has been done enough and obviously isnt what interests the wider public.
How do you know that's not what interests the public? I bet the vast majority are going just to see a bl**dy good firework display - arguably the best in the country - and most probably wouldn't give a second thought to "oh, we had The Smiler theme last year, how unoriginal" !!

I think you answered your own question
Maybe I have but I took what you wrote as implying the public are bored with Towers reusing backstories year on year and want something different each year. What I was trying to say was that the vast majority probably don't care that it is reused each year and are going to enjoy the show, regardless of what the storyline is

Hi guys,

I’m planning on taking my kids to the fireworks next year. We’ve never been to them before and I imagine this may be the only time we do.
With this in mind I’ve been planning ahead and looking at the ticketing options; does anyone have any experience/opinions of the ‘Big Bang’ ticket please?
On the face of it you get some good things; food, three fast passes each, priority place to watch from etc which comes at a price - hence my research 😀

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I’m planning on taking my kids to the fireworks next year. We’ve never been to them before and I imagine this may be the only time we do.
With this in mind I’ve been planning ahead and looking at the ticketing options; does anyone have any experience/opinions of the ‘Big Bang’ ticket please?
On the face of it you get some good things; food, three fast passes each, priority place to watch from etc which comes at a price - hence my research 😀

Thanks in advance.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it looks like the Big Bang packages have sold out. It comes up with "no packages found" when you select it.

The priority viewing platform does not offer a priority view either in my opinion. You’re set off to one side and I think the show control room cabin is also in front of you ?