• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

And we are visiting this park on this seasons North Meet... Why?!

Seriously, it is such an awful park that just keeps getting worse and worse each season!

On a side note about the ride looking like a cage... Maybe it's the only way they can think of controlling Mr. Gibb ;)

Sammy said:
And we are visiting this park on this seasons North Meet... Why?!

Seriously, it is such an awful park that just keeps getting worse and worse each season!

I believe Flip Flop may be the reason for the visit! ;)

Getting one of these Volare things is just awful, they look dire!

:)

A Volare?

Ew... I know buying cheap is the only way the non-Merlin parks can go, but really?

God, what a horrid line up of coasters...

...with the ride having a maximum theoretical throughput of around 600 per hour.

Trololololol

I'm excited for then to run one car and check restraints before and after every ride.

It's like they're trying to repel people from the park, not make it more enticing.

LOL. I genuinely can't wait to ride this. I think I'm looking forward to it more than SW7.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

These sort of things appeal massively to the casual visitor I think, but 600pph might cause considerable aggro in the summer.

I think they make sound business decisions with their target market. They have great attendances for an independent park, but they'll never be remembered by us for quality rides.

I'm not convinced that this "confirms" something that we've thought for a while. Nothing in the article seems to confirm anything, rather it just rewords a known rumour.

Anyway, Flamingoland need to stop trying to be Merlin. They aren't and are never going to be.

Stop putting in cheap big rides and concentrate on actually making the park a desirable place to visit. The rides there should be great, but they are run in such a useless, slapdash fashion that they are instead laughable.

If one park was ever suited to putting in a well themed Gerst, it is FL.

Why they are insistent on these low footprint, horrid looking rides I will never know.

We need parks like FL to actually step up and be a bit bolder, not install rubbish like this!

A zacspin would have worked better for goodness sake!

The odd thing is I'm slightly glad they are building this. I've always wanted to try a Volare.

Only once of course, don't want to do myself permanent damage.

SLC... El Loco... Volare... Zamperla Disk'O... they literally have some of the worst rides ever made in their collection! Not to mention Lost River Ride, Sky Flier, and their appalling 1mph dodgems. I feel sorry for Cliffhanger and Flip Flop for having to maintain the entire reputation of the place.

Dar said:
I'm not convinced that this "confirms" something that we've thought for a while. Nothing in the article seems to confirm anything, rather it just rewords a known rumour.

As I indicated to you on Twitter, I recognise that reputation is earned not given away, but we aren't in the habit of factually reporting things that risk embarrassing us later.

This comes from the same source that enabled us to report the Corkscrew's departure two months in advance of its dismantlement in 2011. I'm sure people 'knew' that long before, but we like to have a reasonable degree of certainty before publishing an article.

Surely they'd be better off saving up some money for a few years and then making a decent investment? If they can't afford quality each year then there's nothing wrong with that at all and it's completely understandable. But in the long run I'm sure they'd benefit from better quality products at slightly longer intervals. Some of the independent or smaller parks on the continent have some cracking looking rides, we just don't seem to get that here in the UK at all.

:)

250px-Mouse_Trap_Board_and_Boxjpg.jpg

This is what it reminds me of. I think it's a good idea, a new rollercoaster will pull in guests. I don't think Flamingoland should save and splurge on a big brand name. This is probably the best strategy.

It seems like this park wants to be labeled one of the worst in the UK... I won't be visiting anytime soon and I doubt if ever.

Tom said:
Dar said:

As I indicated to you on Twitter, I recognise that reputation is earned not given away, but we aren't in the habit of factually reporting things that risk embarrassing us later.

This comes from the same source that enabled us to report the Corkscrew's departure two months in advance of its dismantlement in 2011. I'm sure people 'knew' that long before, but we like to have a reasonable degree of certainty before publishing an article.

That's fine, I understand that. I just don't see how this is an absolute final confirmation. I don't really read too much into rumours anyway. :)

I am intrigued as to how far flamingoland can bring down the throughput on something that's already at a reasonably low 600 pph :p

Eddie said:
It seems like this park wants to be labeled one of the worst in the UK... I won't be visiting anytime soon and I doubt if ever.

Putting aside all the usual nit-picking about gate figures and how they're reported etc, if they can attract 1.4m guests in a calender year, they are doing well.

They have also just re-tarmaced their car park. It's just little things like that that suggest the park's future is extremely secure.

Dar said:
Tom said:
Dar said:

That's fine, I understand that. I just don't see how this is an absolute final confirmation. I don't really read too much into rumours anyway. :)

I am intrigued as to how far flamingoland can bring down the throughput on something that's already at a reasonably low 600 pph :p

It's basically no longer a rumour (there's a section to that) in our eyes as we've been satisfied it's coming on a good source. However it's only as cast iron as anything can be until it actually arrives. We mistakenly went with the Lightwater Vekoma Whirlwind story a few years back, and look what happened there.

Well I'm not sure what Mumbo Jumbo's is theoretically, but they do a good enough job of sabotaging that. ;)

Tom said:
Dar said:
Tom said:
Dar said:

It's basically no longer a rumour (there's a section to that) in our eyes as we've been satisfied it's coming on a good source. However it's only as cast iron as anything can be until it actually arrives. We mistakenly went with the Lightwater Vekoma Whirlwind story a few years back, and look what happened there.

Well I'm not sure what Mumbo Jumbo's is theoretically, but they do a good enough job of sabotaging that. ;)

Based on my timings, 240pph seems the standard! At least on the day I was measuring. It seems such a waste of a ride, they run one or two cars in the most horrible way possible. When I last went they wouldn't dispatch the car in the station until the one on the track got back to the station! Kumali is better with it's near 10 minute dispatches ;)

Tom said:
Eddie said:

Putting aside all the usual nit-picking about gate figures and how they're reported etc, if they can attract 1.4m guests in a calender year, they are doing well.

They have also just re-tarmaced their car park. It's just little things like that that suggest the park's future is extremely secure.

How much of that is due to the caravan park though? I doubt they would pull in such figures if it were a standalone park. I know from personal experience that people that live local are either don't care about the place or actively dislike it!

I've also seen delays by them pushing the shoulder pads too far down, forcing people into a Hunchback of Notre Dame pose, having to be released before departure.

The caravans are what they are. They're an integral part of Flaming Land as a resort/larger entity. It's slightly tacky yes, but as a business they are successful and that can't really be challenged by us. Indeed, I'm sure Lightwater Valley noted what can be done with a caravan park when they applied for one four years ago.

We'd all love for the money Flamingo Land has questionably spent to be a figure that was available to someone with better ideas!