• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

I understand that you guys have had issues with the place in the past. I'm not gonna defend it, or apologise, that's not my place. One thing to bear in mind though is that Alton Towers is backed by a multi-million pound company, Flamingoland is not.

I will go and try it for myself as I hope you guys will. I do agree though, there needs to be more vouchers to match or beat Alton's entry price!

Imagine if Alton Towers, after installing Nemesis and Oblivion and making huge progress, sold off Corkscrew and plonked a load of fairground tat on top. You'd be a bit "what the hell??" wouldn't you surely? Most of the criticism here is coming from the period after 2007 where the entire park started going right down the pan after so much progress was made in improving the park's image.

There are plenty of better rides for the money though. A crap ride is a crap ride and people aren't going to travel far to lie in a cage and be roller around some pipes held up by scaffolding.

Like Rob said, there are plenty of small European parks out there that have no more than Flamingo Land, except they spend what little money they have more wisely.

Thomas said:
Rides are meant to be fun, I hope they manage to prove you all wrong with a ride that's slightly different and hopefully... FUN!

A ride beaten by Goudrix in the polls is going to be the complete opposite meaning of fun...

They could probably buy a decent Gerstlauer for the money... Or just generally something decent... Hell even a Maurer...

Problem is it'll be combined with Mingo's awful operations... Checking the bars when Kumali entered the station actually made me laugh hysterically in the queue...

It's not snobbish, it's just a rather awkward decision, as just because your new coaster is unique, won't mean that guests after experiencing it will wonder why they bothered...

Bear said:
Imagine if Alton Towers, after installing Nemesis and Oblivion and making huge progress, sold off Corkscrew and plonked a load of fairground tat on top. You'd be a bit "what the hell??" wouldn't you surely? Most of the criticism here is coming from the period after 2007 where the entire park started going right down the pan after so much progress was made in improving the park's image.

Hopefully people will be more grateful for what Th13teen is, rather than this rumoured tat being in its place.

Thomas said:
I will go and try it for myself as I hope you guys will. I do agree though, there needs to be more vouchers to match or beat Alton's entry price!
There's a problem in itself, they need vouchers to match towers entry price? Why on earth would you pay more to enter mingo than towers?! There's some sort of problem there!

I've always thought that the "checking" of kumali bars were to push down to release them thing - similar to Vampire's getting stuck and being pushed after, just thought it may actually speed up the process. That was the only part of operations I didn't mind about that ride.

The whole park (rides side) is just FTL really.

Flamingo Land can charge as much as Alton because they have a zoo and people are obviously willing to pay. I agree that it's shocking but they're hugely succesful and boast really good gate figures. However, if we just consider what else would fit in that space for the same amount of money, it guts me. A GCI woodie or a half decent dark ride; endless opportunity to raise their game. But no, they choose crappy Zamperla (overpriced tat) and undoubtedly have signed some kind of contract with them now. Sad to see wasted chances. :(

£28.50 is a quarter of an annual pass
£28.50 is around £2 more than a buy one get one free to Alton Towers
£28.50 is for both adults and children over 4. I'm sure Towers do a child rate? Also there doesn't seem to be an online discount? How odd

I think you get my point it's a lot for a FAMILY day out with very few out and out thrill rides

Thanks for the info, but let us not forget Drayton Manor charged £36 last year and 2013's prices are still to be announced. Flamingo Land also has higher gate figures.

The only reason these parks get away with it is because they see Merlin charging nearly £50...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Tom said:
Thanks for the info, but let us not forget Drayton Manor charged £36 last year and 2013's prices are still to be announced. Flamingo Land also has higher gate figures.

They haven't removed 2 major rides in 2 years though!

AstroDan said:
The only reason these parks get away with it is because they see Merlin charging nearly £50...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

But Merlin tend to put in amazing new attractions across all of their parks? The independents don't tend to make as big as investments. I just think it smacks a bit of greed across the whole industry.

I see as well the park are selling two day tickets. They're not really at a stage yet where I'd say it was a two day park? Even with long queues?!

Tom said:
Difference being Drayton floods the market with vouchers like merlin parks, and they have children's entry fees.

I think it's a clever marketing route to go down, having expensive pricing and good offers to bring people in. Mingo just charge expensive and sod all else.

Drayton used to be cheaper then last year (or the year before) they put the prices up by a large amount, but they started doing a large amount of promotions online and in the papers. I remember when we went we got it cheap and free parking.

It clearly must work for Merlin as they have done it for years, so other parks like Drayton have cought on the idea.

Do Flamingo Land do any kind of promotions like Merlin do?

djtruefitt said:
Do Flamingo Land do any kind of promotions like Merlin do?

You can occasionally get money off vouchers in local Pickering (and the surrounding area) papers, normally it's only 20 or 30% though, and they're limited to the busiest periods.