Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by soundwave96, 13th Jun 2012.

1. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    I'm actually hoping it's not a Colossus clone, but that will still be great for the park. Regardless though something here is clearly happening which is good to see and has raised my expectations. Whatever Mingo will get will potentially be a great investment, but let's see.

Matt N likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

If it is a colossus Clone then there will be a better version of 4 Thorpe park coasters somewhere else in the UK (Nemesis, RMT, Smiler & Speed, flamingo land coaster).

Only leaves Stealth and Swarm worth visiting for!

MaxPower, Matt N, DiogoJ42 and 4 others like this.
  3. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

After years of 'questionable' (read 'downright shoddy') investment, it seems Flamingo Land are trying to take themselves a little more seriously. Between this new project and the development in Scarborough (with all the wheel-greasing and private donations that it's taking to get that going!), they seem to be spending big at the moment.

Any meaningful competition that they can bring to Merlin is good.

4. evilcod

evilcod TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Paris
    Unfortunately even if this does happen Flamingo Land have past form of making a big investment and assuming they can ride on it for many years to come without follow up investment, I wouldn't expect any long term competition to the Merlin parks.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  5. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    They're really pumping money into the resort side of things at the minute, the caravan park is loads bigger than even a couple of years ago.

I'm mildly hopefully that this could turn into something big, but apparently they want to focus on the family/resort side of things meaning no new (to the park) big thrill rides

6. Smilertron

Smilertron TowersStreet Member

Apart from the improved trains, what other improvements does the new version on the 10 looper have? Is it faster/smoother?

7. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I’m not really expecting Merlin competition from Flamingoland, it doesn’t care about operations or atmosphere.

It would just be amusing if they have a better colossus than the UK’s most incompetent theme park.

8. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    The first drop is reprofiled. I think that's about it.

9. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Is there any link between this new development and the 10-looper in Malaysia, other than that people know that coaster could be sold to a new park? Seems pretty vague.

10. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

I’ve got to say, considering the generally poor feedback regarding Flamingoland, when we visited last year I was reasonably impressed. It was a quiet day, so it probably helped, as you could see operations causing issues at busier times. Having said that, the general park presentation was good, the animal attractions were nicely varied, there was a nice spread of attractions, live entertainment and plenty of food and beverage locations.

With the addition of a decent coaster, the park could be rather appealing for a weekend stay. I’m just hoping it ends up being a little more interesting than a Colossus clone.

11. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    On a quiet day, Mingo is fine. Go with the right people and stop for a pint between every ride and you can have a spiffing time.
    .....If it is quiet.

rob666 likes this.
  12. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Yeah the park is actually relatively pleasant, it has terrible operations though. It makes Merlin operations look like EP or Disney.

DiogoJ42, Brad97 and Robert.W like this.
  13. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

No, that's just speculation based on the circumstances of the rumour/story.

14. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

It’s just speculation

Sam likes this.
  15. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

Rob, skyscraper, Ted and 1 other person like this.
  16. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

[​IMG]

I mean with all the evidence for it, I'd have been absolutely amazed if this thing wasn't going to turn up at Flamingo by now. With the groundwork that's taking place already, I'm guessing they've had council guidance already and they're pretty confident this will sail through with relative ease.

Russ and skyscraper like this.
  17. dazza4783

dazza4783 TowersStreet Member

Does that also imply that the coaster will be called "Inversion" as it is in brackets after it says rollercoaster, and it is capitalised, and none of the actual inversions are that high are they? Does seem like the name Flamingo Land would give it.

Last edited: 3rd Jun 2019
    skyscraper and Tom like this.
  18. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    Hopefully this a start of a comeback for Mingo. Another couple of decent creds and getting rid of some of their crap will put them with the big boys.

skyscraper likes this.
  19. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

I've never been to Flamingo Land, it's rather a long way from where i live, but would be tempted to ride this.

skyscraper likes this.
  20. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

They need to actually have some vaguely competent leadership promoting even mediocre levels of operations before they get anywhere near the big boys.