• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

I definitely prefer Icon to The Swarm. It's very subjective. Third favourite coaster in the UK is hardly scathing. Better than Nemesis, Wicker Man, The Smiler, Air, Saw, Inferno, Megafobia, Speed, The Grand National, The Big One... 3rd best sounds like a ringing endorsement to me.

Last edited:
It could be to keep the queues down as having a new coaster they don’t want negative feedback if guests moan they queued over 90 mins for a new coaster. As having only 1 train without a virtual queue can easily see it getting queues of 2-3 hrs.

Just watched Shaun's other vlog from the opening day, and they accessed SIK via the Accessible entrance after it opened to the public as media event attendees had VIP ride access for the big 6. That's likely how Q Buster and VIP Pass guests will access the ride once it's added. (41:25)

A couple of other points from the video:

- The reason Flip Flop had seats removed is weight issues. (9:20)
- Cliff Hanger is switched between modes (shot-only and shot-n-drop) every few days. (21:41)

Last edited:
Interestingly, I’m not sure media event bias is necessarily leading to Sik’s positive reviews like some suggest. Andy Rumney from Coaster Crazy has just posted his vlog reviewing it, and he has rated it as his 3rd favourite UK coaster, behind Icon and Swarm:

For clarity, he was not invited to the media event, and seemed to have an axe to grind about the fact he wasn’t invited based on his vlog, so there’s certainly no media day bias there.

Never watched a vlog where the host is so bitter, its no surprised he wasn't invited if this is how he normally is at parks. Embarrassing

Last edited:
My first post in several years. Had some health problems, but finally coming out the other side.

Sik is way better than I expected and Flamingo land have done a great job with what they had to work with.

Hugely more entertaining and less painful than Colossus. It's in my top five UK coasters with 2 to 5 being hard to rank, but I still have Nemmie at number one by a country mile.

I'm old enough to have ridden Nemesis in 1994. It blew my mind and I've been a huge fan ever since. It still isn't a rough coaster to me, though not glass smooth like she was.

Given how much better Sik is compared to Colossus, I will be intrigued to see if and how her forthcoming retrack enhances the experience.

She was always number one to me, but it will be interesting to see how the retrack affects other people's comparative rankings with icon, etc.

Anyway... Well done Flamingo land (Apart from that name).

Some of my future plans for flamingo land.

Also demolish mischief mansion and add a brand new high quality dark ride.

Attachments

• D2DD1B8E-0738-4ABE-BE8C-FAC95E7F05C8.jpeg
    D2DD1B8E-0738-4ABE-BE8C-FAC95E7F05C8.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 81519C95-9C20-46D0-8D75-FB3BA00F2218.jpeg
    81519C95-9C20-46D0-8D75-FB3BA00F2218.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 29
  • CC11C380-CDBC-49F7-92B5-C972BE157771.jpeg
    CC11C380-CDBC-49F7-92B5-C972BE157771.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Right these might just be the coolest sinks I've ever seen (located at Flamingo 1)...

unknown.png

Who cares if you haven’t been invited to a media event? Why do some vloggers think they’re so entitled? Be lucky you get to visit parks so often instead of winging about not being invited to some event smh 🙄I’m not about to go into bashing but I’ve always got that vibe from him, but that’s all I’ll say.

On a separate note, good to actually see all rides operating again! Feels like they always have one thing or another closed

Just watched Shaun's other vlog from the opening day, and they accessed SIK via the Accessible entrance after it opened to the public as media event attendees had VIP ride access for the big 6. That's likely how Q Buster and VIP Pass guests will access the ride once it's added. (41:25)

A couple of other points from the video:

- The reason Flip Flop had seats removed is weight issues. (9:20)
- Cliff Hanger is switched between modes (shot-only and shot-n-drop) every few days. (21:41)

That’s interesting about Cliff Hanger. I’ve been to Mingo three times this year and each time Cliffhanger has been running in the combo shot and drop mode. I had no idea that they are sometimes running it as shot only, that seems like a waste when the combo mode is such a brilliant forceful cycle, maybe the best drop tower in the UK when run like that.

That’s interesting about Cliff Hanger. I’ve been to Mingo three times this year and each time Cliffhanger has been running in the combo shot and drop mode. I had no idea that they are sometimes running it as shot only, that seems like a waste when the combo mode is such a brilliant forceful cycle, maybe the best drop tower in the UK when run like that.
I really hope I get combo mode when I go in a couple of weeks. Only ridden it once before and got the single shot.

Can’t believe the ride has a hairdressers in the shop. Also shaun from theme park worldwide currently prefers it over nemesis and says that SIK is in 2nd place behind icon. Comming from shaun this definitely means it’s an amazing coaster

Or that he’s been paid to say this

Don’t get me wrong it looks better than Collosus - but it can’t be THAT much better give the hardware is the same.

Probably 6th or 7th for me at best…..:

How much do you think a vlogger would need to be paid in order to make those claims? Maybe I'm naive but I doubt they would get paid to say such things. The overall consensus is that it's an excellent coaster.

How much would it take for people to sell out and claim a coaster is in their top 3?

Don’t get me wrong it looks better than Collosus - but it can’t be THAT much better give the hardware is the same.

Probably 6th or 7th for me at best…..:
It's not the same though; different first drop, faster, smoother and no headbanging. Basically Colossus with all its issues fixed. If Colossus had better trains and no roughness, it would be more liked.

Last edited:
How much do you think a vlogger would need to be paid in order to make those claims? Maybe I'm naive but I doubt they would get paid to say such things. The overall consensus is that it's an excellent coaster.

How much would it take for people to sell out and claim a coaster is in their top 3?
I doubt anyone would recommend a roller coaster just for money. By the way, my favourite roller coaster is Turbo on Brighton Pier. Make sure you check out their website for lots of great deals.

It's not usually payment in cash, the problem is that if a vlogger gave a negative review then they might not get invited to the next press event meaning less content and having to actually pay entry.
The car industry has a similar problem, since it would be impractical for a car magazine/vlogger to buy every car they are often allowed to borrow a car by the manufacturer. If the car gets a bad review then the manufacturer may be less willing to allow that media outlet to borrow a car.