• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage 2015

kydog1299

TS Member
Started a bit early & a very werid topic to create when the park isn't actually open yet, and just before February Half Term, but what are your expectations/wishes and things you hope don't/do return in terms of Food & Beverage for 2015?

We know 2014 was a bumpy year in terms of F&B, with lots of outlets being closed early on in the season, and many outlets cutting their menu's and increasing prices with no justification. But, what changes do you hope/wish will/could happen in terms of F&B for this season?

Personally, I really hope the'd do something useful with the Spinball Noodles outlet, espesially as there should be a few more people/familes over that way with the new 2015 childrens coaster, and increase the number of outlets in CBeebies Land. I'd also love to see another 'premium dining' option in the Theme Park, which goes along the lines of something like Frankie & Bennys quality/Nandos style. I really think the Nandos operating system (sit, choose, go up and pay, have food delivered) would work really well in a Theme Park such as Alton Towers. I'd also love to see them trial higher quality chain outlets such as Nandos, Frankie & Benny's etc in the park, as I do think these will go down a storm with the public.

I'm interested to see what Crooked Spoon will have to offer too.

Let's hope F&B is better than last year!

It can't be any worse than last year can it? Or can it? Who know, I am not getting my hopes up.

I agree though, I too am interested to see what the Crooked Spoon has to offer. Food at the hotels tends to be better than on park so hopefully that is something we can look forward to. I hope it has a nice unique menu offering something different.

:)

The food at Alton is very poor, when you can get a meal at a higher quality in almost any pub chain or fast food outlet it just goes to show how poor the food really is. I however don't feel bringing in outside chains is a option, one it wouldn't bring the profits Merlin would want, and the prices charged would be significantly greater than there high street counter parts.

Dining at a theme park should be a continuation of the experience, it should be something special and unique. I accept the need of fast food quick service restaurants (although these too have to be good value which at the minute is not the case) but the option above this shouldn't be a poor pub meal at three times the price.

700x508xEnchanted-Village-07.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BFRp4_CjYQ.jpg

Hopefully with the introduction of the crooked spoon which looks like it may well be the first sort of themed restaurant with a themed menu, with the supposedly giant vegetables, will bring a improved standard of food.

The quality and service has got worse year on year, agree the Crooked Spoon looks refreshing I'd certainly like to give it a go.

As for the comment @Ketz makes out outside chains and their expense, I actually would disagree, I feel for on park the prices were decent from the high street brands, and you got a continuity of quality that was at expected levels - whether you liked them or not, you knew what to expect.

I felt a couple of seasons ago they had the balance about right, definitely been heading in the wrong direction and I hope that they improve this year as in my opinion last year was really not acceptable on my limited visits.

I feel they need to split in into three tiers: Have the expensive range e.g Woodcutters, then the middle bracket which most would fit into, I'd also put a family restaurant in here, and then finally the lower end cheap, fast food, e.g Hot dogs and burger kitchen. I feel this would help a lot.

I feel they need to split in into three tiers: Have the expensive range e.g Woodcutters, then the middle bracket which most would fit into, I'd also put a family restaurant in here, and then finally the lower end cheap, fast food, e.g Hot dogs and burger kitchen. I feel this would help a lot.

They used to classify this way on the old website, with Woodcutters, Pizza Pasta and Towers St being premium, BurgerKitchen and Fried Chicken in middle and then all the kiosks and cafes.

Personally, I really hope the'd do something useful with the Spinball Noodles outlet, espesially as there should be a few more people/familes over that way with the new 2015 childrens coaster, and increase the number of outlets in CBeebies Land. I'd also love to see another 'premium dining' option in the Theme Park, which goes along the lines of something like Frankie & Bennys quality/Nandos style. I really think the Nandos operating system (sit, choose, go up and pay, have food delivered) would work really well in a Theme Park such as Alton Towers. I'd also love to see them trial higher quality chain outlets such as Nandos, Frankie & Benny's etc in the park, as I do think these will go down a storm with the public.

Woodcutters and Towers St already use table numbers and an order at the bar system similar to Nando's or Wetherspoons.
Chessington has a restaurant similar to Woodcutters but serving a copy of the Nando's menu, I am surprised Towers didn't copy this for Towers St restaurant.
I don't think CBeebies needs an extra outlet as it does encourage families to explore the rest of the park. But from what I've read they need to sort the menu out at a Little Explorers Lunchbox, some complaints include only selling Walkers crisps that aren't suit for small toddlers and that it doesn't serve much variety.

My biggest complaint is waiting times for food and drink at kiosks, it takes far too long to just get a coffee. If they sort service out and NOT increase prices this year then F&B will be fine. Switching the menu up at a Towers St so it is different to Woodcutters would help a lot too.

Last edited:
They need to sort out the system in Burger Kitchen. Last time I went, the server wouldn't even look at me until she'd given the last person their order! McD's and BK manage to take more than one order at a time, why can't Burger Kitchen?! :p

I want the Mexican Cantina to go back to the way it was a few years back. It's got progressively worse each year, and last season it basically hit rock bottom in my estimations. I'm struggling to think of what else they can cut from the menu - no doubt they'll find something!

The Mexican Cantina was my favourite place to eat on park. After they changed the menu to basically ONE thing last season, I haven't eaten there, and I've gone elsewhere for food. Which is a shame, as it used to be pretty good in there!

I want the Mexican Cantina to go back to the way it was a few years back. It's got progressively worse each year, and last season it basically hit rock bottom in my estimations. I'm struggling to think of what else they can cut from the menu - no doubt they'll find something!

This. A few years ago I loved Mexican Cantina. The food was fantastic and there was great variety. It was nothing short of appalling last season and I only visited once. But hey, smaller menus = less costs. Pity.

They need to sort out the system in Burger Kitchen. Last time I went, the server wouldn't even look at me until she'd given the last person their order! McD's and BK manage to take more than one order at a time, why can't Burger Kitchen?! :p

Are you saying the EPOS system cant hand off the order to pick and distribute after it been paid for, until delivery has been feed back to the EPOS order point??

Are you saying the EPOS system cant hand off the order to pick and distribute after it been paid for, until delivery has been feed back to the EPOS order point??

I don't think so, I just think they've been told to do one order at time, probably to prevent mix-ups!

I don't get it though, they have piles of drinks pre-made and loads of portions of fries ready, they just seem incapable of processing more than one at a time!

this is the problem with captive trade and one provider. unless you take food with you, you have to buy from merlin end of.

Additionally, I'm still waiting on Roast & Relish to open at Towers. It's beyond me how they still don't have this, as its my favourite Merlin fast food eatery.

It would be nice if we saw one or two high street brands come back to the theme park. Something like Nandos would work a treat.

I'm hoping for better service overall this year. Last year in Pizza Pasta the service was appalling, certainly wasn't the kind of service you would expect from Alton Towers. All major outlets open would be good too. Even the small outlet outside Duel (can't remember the name), the area looked pretty abandoned with that closed so prominent outlets like that should be open.

The Burger Kitchen service mentioned above is baffling. If a group of 16 year old's straight from school in my local McDonalds can handle multiple orders in one go I don't see why a place like Towers can't. It kinda makes sense from the perspective or orders not being messed around although still, it's easy enough for staff to be trained and learn that process of multitasking.

I just hope F&B doesn't get any worse than 2014. A few years back we all thought it was getting better, then last year it all went a bit wrong.

From March till May pretty much every side stall and small kiosk was closed (even at weekends), most of which with no sign or anything telling you they were closed. We then had the closing of outlets at stupid times (who ever made that decision shouldn't be in their job). The best example was on a very hot sunny day, Ben & Jerry's and Gloomy Ices remained closed all day. Then the only other proper ice cream outlet (wobble World cafe) closed at 2pm, with a queue out of the door, the staff simply stood there and turned people away, when we questioned it, they said that is what they had been told by their managers). Another example is on really busy days and the park has closed at 5 or 6pm, rather than leaving kiosks open (they only require one staff member) they all close at 5 or 6pm, even if they have got a queue, staff are there turning customers (who want to spend!) away.

So they turn customers away at times like that when its hot or busy, then during other times of the year you have the ice cream van out on Towers Street in the rain or snow?

Now thats just the running of the outlets, let alone the quality or pricing, but I think enough people have talked about this already in this thread.

It was hard to judge the on-park offerings on Saturday as most outlets seemed closed today (including Corner Coffee which seemed odd given its location).

However we went to the Emperrors Grill in the evening and it appears that they have a new menu. There are more options available, particularly for starters. Also portion sizes seem more generous than previously ("fine" dining doesn't need to mean that the plate is almost empty). It was a really good meal and I'd recommend it when you feel like spoiling yourself.

There were quite a lot of food outlets open actually, including Ripsaw's cafe, Wobble World Cafe, TS Bar and Grill, Woodcutters, Munch Box in CBL and a few others I believe, like Burger Kitchen.

Corner Coffee was shut due to it currently having a referb.

It was hard to judge the on-park offerings on Saturday as most outlets seemed closed today (including Corner Coffee which seemed odd given its location).

However we went to the Emperrors Grill in the evening and it appears that they have a new menu. There are more options available, particularly for starters. Also portion sizes seem more generous than previously ("fine" dining doesn't need to mean that the plate is almost empty). It was a really good meal and I'd recommend it when you feel like spoiling yourself.

All of the indoor food outlets where open bar corner coffee which is having some work done. Seemed plenty of food options available based on the number of guests on park.

Food service was pants in Towers Street grill but it was the first day for most staff so will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. The steak was nice and cooked how I asked for it which is a first.