• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Shambolic last night. No other way of describing it. If it weren't for David de Gea, we would've lost by so many more goals. Seriously, that guy has saved our skins so much this season, I can't thank him enough.

In other news, it's just broken that Newcastle have sacked Steve McClaren.

Shambolic last night. No other way of describing it. If it weren't for David de Gea, we would've lost by so many more goals. Seriously, that guy has saved our skins so much this season, I can't thank him enough.

In other news, it's just broken that Newcastle have sacked Steve McClaren.
I agree we are dire atm lvg isn't right for Utd that's very clear imo

You don't have to buy a shirt - that is 100% true but a lot of people will want to get a new one each year when they go to the ground

*sighs* When is LvG going to learn that a midfield partnership of Michael Carrick and Marouane Fellaini just does not work at all?

LVG is just hanging around waiting for the inevitable now, I think the board are reluctant to sack him as it would mean another pay out. When top 4 becomes impossible he will be sacked, like Moyes was, I think. Today was a positive result however there are still 24 points up for grabs so a long way to go. United still have to play Leicester, West Ham and Tottenham - this time a year ago who would've thought they'd be big games at the top!

I'm particularly interested in what happens at Arsenal. I've been saying all season (on top of my view that Wenger should have left several years ago) that if Arsenal fail to win the league this season he should resign/be sacked. There is nowhere for Wenger to hide if Leicester have managed to win it. I have a feeling that it could get ugly between Wenger and their fans.

I honestly don't know why Wenger hasn't gone yet. For a decade, they've started off relatively well in the league, but they've just bottled it every single time. Three FA Cup victories from 2005 onwards is just not good enough for a club the size of Arsenal. I think they need to get rid of quite a few players and freshen the squad up a bit by bringing in some new blood. As for Wenger? He has to go. He just hasn't done very much with Arsenal for quite some time, though I do get that he's won the FA Cup for Arsenal twice in a row. I agree with you, Dan, that he should've gone a while ago. I'm surprised the fans didn't clamour for his resignation in the time between them winning the FA Cup in 2005 and then getting it back again in 2014!

Now onto the Manchester derby. I'm not going to talk about the result (I'm happy with it, and it was a decent strike from Marcus Rashford). Instead, I'd like to focus on Martin Demichelis' performance, which was derided by so many people. Player ratings have given him an absolute high of 3 or 4, with quite a few ratings of 2, and the Daily Mirror (yeah, I know) gave him 0. Yes, 0. I have NEVER seen any player get a rating that low (I'm not counting players who weren't on the field for long enough to be given a rating). The lowest I've ever normally seen is about 2 or 3! If I were Pellegrini, I'd drop him for the next game. Heck, I wouldn't even include him on the bench! He caused Joe Hart to get injured and be subbed off for Willy Caballero. He was at fault for the goal. He was lucky to not give a penalty away at the end of the first half. It seems to me that since City announced Guardiola will be taking over next season, Pellegrini just doesn't seem to care. It's like the squad has lost the motivation and the will to succeed. Goes some way to explaining why we're only one point behind them now.

I agree about Wenger, I know there were complications with paying off the stadium within a certain amount of time, however although that may be true that should not have impacted the club's trophy success, or lack of, as much as it has. Wenger has done wonders for Arsenal from a business side, hell he even manages to convince the fans who are being ripped off every week that top 4 is as good as a trophy! I'd like the club to show real ambition again. I loved to hate them back in the 90s and early 00s when it was Fergie v Wenger and you had the likes of Keane, Vieira, RVN, Henry, Berkamp, Giggs et al. going up against each other. Wenger was a terrific manager back then, but football has changed and he's got left behind.

I think with Demichelis, opposing teams must be as happy with seeing him on the City starting line-up as they would be with seeing Fellaini on United's. Both dreadful.

For Arsenal, just getting into the top 4 isn't enough. They need to be challenging to win more trophies - not bottling it time and time again.

Forgot to post in here yesterday...

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

That win could be the win to keep us in the league. 3-2!

Important 3 points for Man United yesterday at the expense of Everton. I fully expect Martinez to be sacked if Everton fail to win the FA Cup. When he came in I said that he's an average manager who can't set up a defence and I don't think I'm wrong. Only the current top 4 have scored more than Everton however only 5 teams have conceded more than them as they lie 12th in the table (albeit with 2 games in hand on some). Yesterday's game was dreadful with neither keeper really being tested, United just took their only real big chance.

Leicester have surely sealed it now, haven't they? Scrappy 1-0s are what wins titles and they have now won their last four by that scoreline.

I'm eagerly awaiting Wenger's resignation...

Leicester are actually going to do it! Fair play to them. Being a Wolves fan, and having seen ourselves along with Leicester and other clubs down in league one in recent times, it gives a bit of hope. Although if we could string 2 passes together that would be a start.

It's been a great weekend for football (Palace actually winning a league game in 2016 is a start :p). But really, Leicester have been incredible this season, and I do think they absolutely deserve it if they go onto to win it.

Saying that however, Spurs have also been immense this season. They have some great players and their performance against United today was brilliant. Although I want Leicester to do it, it's hard to say Spurs winning it would be undeserved.

I think it's all but Leicester's. If Spurs were to win their last 5 games they'd be on 80 points and with a better goal difference meaning Leicester need 81 to be sure, so 9 points from 5 games. Leicester have 3 home games including Swansea and Everton, both who are virtually safe and not really playing for anything now, and I think they'll win at least one of the other 3 games against West Ham, Chelsea and Man Utd. However, I don't think Leicester will need all those 9 points anyway as Spurs will drop some. Arsenal have easy games remaining but it's too late.

If it does go down to the last game of the season, how huge could Newcastle v Tottenham be? One fighting for survival, the other for the title.

What an extraordinary season and full credit to both Leicester and Spurs.