• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

It's been a long seven years, but Middlesbrough are finally back in the Premier League. They deserve it. :)

I'm just going to leave a few photos here, because, well you know!

leicester-c-ity-1.jpg

Leicester-main_2848910a.jpg

claudio-ranieri-poses-with-the-premier-league-trophy-while-kasper-picture-id528947892

:D

When I was watching Match of the Day on Saturday night, I was still in shock that Leicester City have won the Premier League. It was spine-tingling to watch, it really was. And having Andrea Bocelli singing prior to kick-off was a really lovely touch as well. It was so clear that the title means so much to Leicester City and the fans, and they deserve it.

And now we get treated to seeing Gary Lineker present the first MOTD of next season in his underwear. Lovely. :p

After 112 years, tonight West Ham will play their last fixture at the Boleyn Ground before they move into the Olympic Stadium next season. Despite the fact it would be great for West Ham to end their time there in style, I really hope Man United spoil the party as we look to secure a top four finish.

The new stadium sure will be great for attendance and bringing in the numbers, but I fear it will be soulless.

Until recently, I've never heard anyway call West Ham's stadium "The Boleyn Ground". I know that's its actual name but I've heard it referred it to as Upton Park by everyone.

It's a great ground though. I visited there a few weeks back with Palace so I'm glad I've ticked it for my list.

Until recently, I've never heard anyway call West Ham's stadium "The Boleyn Ground". I know that's its actual name but I've heard it referred it to as Upton Park by everyone.

It's a great ground though. I visited there a few weeks back with Palace so I'm glad I've ticked it for my list.

I guess the media don't want people thinking the whole of Upton Park is being redeveloped. :eek: Like most people I'm sure, I have always referred to it as Upton Park though.

Terrific stadium. I was there for Giggsy's solo effort in 2009 and also worked there a couple of times, great memories.

I guess the media don't want people thinking the whole of Upton Park is being redeveloped. :eek: Like most people I'm sure, I have always referred to it as Upton Park though.

Terrific stadium. I was there for Giggsy's solo effort in 2009 and also worked there a couple of times, great memories.

Good point actually :p It feels kinda strange though how a club like West Ham are moving from such an iconic ground. It's like when I was there "Wow, I can't believe this will be gone by the end of the year".

So the title is decided, and now the 3 relegated teams have been confirmed as Newcastle, Norwich and Aston Villa. I really didn't want Sunderland to stay up though I did say when Allardyce came in he'd keep them up but it'd be ugly.

That said, predictions this season have completely gone out the window. I predicted Bournemouth, Watford and Leicester to go down with the top 4 being Chelsea, Man United, Man City and Arsenal respectively. o_O

The top 4 is all but decided as far as I'm concerned as I don't think City will lose against Swansea. Tuesday really did us in. We were woeful but to throw away the game like we did was unacceptable. West Ham 'fans' disgraced themselves too. The club should also be punished for this. I will bet any money a number of the people who were causing trouble already had lifetime bans in place so adding more lifetime bans to the additional offenders isn't going to do a lot in terms of future prevention. Perhaps West Ham must play their first couple of games behind closed doors? I don't know what is best.

All that's left to be decided are the final positions for European places, Martinez's sacking (inevitable), LVG's sacking (hopeful but doubtful) and Wenger's resignation (not in a million years).

-----

Looking ahead to the Euros. Bad news for England as Danny Welbeck has been ruled out for 9 months. Defoe is being touted as a replacement after his fantastic season but I think that ship has now sailed.

I would be taking Defoe ahead of Welbeck even before the injury. The four strikers I'd take would be Vardy, Kane, Sturridge and Defoe, but unfortunately Woy isn't brave enough to drop Rooney.

There's also a FA Cup final to look forward too!

Newcastle going down shows how easy it is to be swayed into spending millions to get out of trouble and it backfiring... Maybe Pardew wasn't too bad for them after all? ;)

There's also a FA Cup final to look forward too!

Newcastle going down shows how easy it is to be swayed into spending millions to get out of trouble and it backfiring... Maybe Pardew wasn't too bad for them after all? ;)

It's still not sunk in that we're going to Wembley in less than 10 days for a an FA Cup final. :p I'm so excited for it, but nervous at the same time.

No chance would I take Defoe over Welbeck for several reasons, but that is a discussion there is no point in having now.

Rooney I would 100% take, the whole squad failed at the World Cup, Rooney wasn't that bad in comparison to the others. I think you have to start Kane and Alli, but not necessarily Rooney. Vardy I don't think will get the same kind of success at the Euros as he has done in the Premier League so I think he will be on the bench too. If Rooney does start, Roy cannot make the same mistake as 2014 and play him out of position.

----

Well Martinez has been sacked, so that's one manager gone. Same as Wigan, he couldn't set up a defence which resulted in them being relegated. If Everton didn't have the attacking talent they do now they could have been fighting a relegation battle. Everton's biggest challenge this summer will be holding onto Lukaku, Barkley and Stones.

Last edited:
Rooney will go to the Euros and I'd imagine he will have the same role as he does for United - spend the best part of 90 minutes moaning at the referee. I'd (obviously) love to see Vardy start for England as he could cause some real chaos, plus he's scored in his last two England games. I don't think he will though, it will be Kane up front with Rooney somewhere behind him. Vardy could be a great impact sub for when there are tired legs on the pitch.

The biggest from England have at the Euros, which is being largely overlooked, is at centre back. I'm happy with Smalling and Cahill can do a job; that should be the first choice pairing. After that though I do not think Jagielka is good enough and Stones has a hell of a lot to learn before he can be considering a international centre back (he has been part of a woeful defence this season). Shawcross has never been considered and it's probably too late for him now. Dier can fill in there if required. But who else is there? It is a big problem going forward.

:)

If Rooney can't be played out of position then he shouldn't be played at all. He wasn't that bad for the World Cup, it's the last two years where he's really declined, he slows the play dramatically, and with England succeeding with play a quick counter attacking system he shouldn't be starting ahead of Kane, Vardy or Sturridge who are all much better suited to it.

Don't think Everton will be struggling to keep hold of Stones this time, he's had quite a poor season. However without Barkley and Lukaku Everton will really struggle.

Rooney has declined, I agree with that. However he is still England's top goalscorer in this campaign and is the captain so he will be there. Rooney, before he got injured in March (I think it was), was in very good form and looked sharp. Since then he hasn't really got his form back except for a couple of good games. I'm not saying he should start but this is Hodgson so I think we just have to accept it.

I said in 2014 with Rooney being put on the left wing that he can't play there, he's not a winger. Rooney has to play as a number 9 or 10 otherwise he doesn't get in the squad.

I think Hodgson will go with:
Hart/Clyne/Smalling/Cahill/Bertrand/Dier/Wilshere/Alli/Lallana/Rooney/Kane

Do I agree with that? Not necessarily but that's my guess.

Vardy could be a great impact sub. I just don't think he'll do it in the starting 11. I agree about our defence worries, though Shawcross has rightfully never been considered. Top strikers will have a field day if we have to play Jagielka.

Unfortunately I'm a pessimist with England and I think it'll be the same old story. Everyone gets sucked into the hype that we're going to win it and then we go out in the quarters or earlier. Back in March everyone went mad like we'd won a cup when we beat Germany, then we play Netherlands (who are absolutely shocking) and lose but 'it was only a friendly'.
----

Stones has the potential to be a terrific defender but the problem is he's not developed under Martinez because he's useless with defenders. With Martinez gone he might stay but I would still not be surprised if he goes off to Chelsea or another big club when the offers come in.

It's funny I knew it as Upton Park and was confused at first when they referred to it as its proper name

Watford manager Flores will be leaving the club at the end of the season. Watford overall had a good season and his target would have been to stay up however by the New Year everyone had figured them out and their form in 2016 proves that; 4 league wins and just 15 points is relegation form.

England's 26-man provisional Euro 2016 squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

Mostly what I expected. Delph is baffling though I expect him, Drinkwater and Rashford or Townsend to miss out. Do we have to take 3 goalkeepers though? Seems excessive.