• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Honestly the more you think about it, England losing is actually a blessing in disguise.

Why's that? For if they won they would have faced Morroco who, let's face it, are the team that EVERYONE wants to win and France will have to play the villains to stop them from getting to the final and I haven't mentioned the previous colonial history between the two.

Could be a very tasty tie considering how weak France looked in this game...

Honestly the more you think about it, England losing is actually a blessing in disguise.

Why's that? For if they won they would have faced Morroco who, let's face it, are the team that EVERYONE wants to win and France will have to play the villains to stop them from getting to the final and I haven't mentioned the previous colonial history between the two.

Could be a very tasty tie considering how weak France looked in this game...
I'm backing Morocco to win even more now. Hope their ref is better though. Ours was 🩲

I'm not sure if I've ever seen such poor officiating in my life. The penalty argument is one thing but the constant digs being missed is another.
Not really interested in football any more, but I watched this match and I agree.

I'm not really sad to see England exit this competition. Not because I don't want them to win a World Cup, but it's just felt that this one was cursed from the start - a highly questionable venue choice borne out of corruption that is still denied by FIFA, controversies over human rights abuses and migrant deaths, overpriced and substandard fan villages, the list goes on... There's never been less enthusiasm for this world cup across the country in living memory, and many would-be fans have chosen to boycott the tournament for ethical reasons. It was just feeling like an England win this time around would have fallen a bit flat. Far better to invest in building a team that in four years could pull of a win that everyone can properly celebrate.

Sums it up well.

The future is strong for England. Next World Cup we will be missing Hendo, Kane, Maguire and Walker, maybe Shaw. All bar Kane are replaceable.

I’m not so sure that Kane would be missing for the next World Cup in three and a half years time. Look at how Modric (37 years old), Giroud (36), and Messi (35) are still a key part of their team as well as how Suarez at 35 was when needed. As long as Kane accepts that his role might change (unlike Ronaldo has done) then I don’t see why he won’t be at the 2026 World Cup as he’ll still be 33 years when old it starts. The way he can hold up play dropping deep and bring others in means that he could still offer the team a lot even if he wasn’t the main striker for England up top.

Last edited:
Greatest WC final ever...so happy that Messi finally got his hands on the cup, think we can all say he is the GOAT...Ronaldo will be sick as a parrot surely.

Well I've won the work sweepstake so pretty happy with that result 😃

Not sure the prizes will be much to write home about mind, someone said something about raiding the marketing cupboard? Hopefully that was a joke and I'll get something a little bit better than a branded pen...

Not sure the prizes will be much to write home about mind, someone said something about raiding the marketing cupboard? Hopefully that was a joke and I'll get something a little bit better than a branded pen...
Congratulations!

My Dad won his sweepstake too and he'll share his winnings with me as for some reason he said I was his lucky charm! :p

Following on from the World Cup, what are people's thoughts on the Club World Cup expansion? I have mostly negative opinions, I can see it being successful but I'd be worried about the environmental impact and the added strain on players. We haven't yet been given an explanation on how qualification would work but I think if it's not merit based then I would be against it like the European Super League.

No travel guide to Yugoslavia?

No terrible key-ring?

Poop themed prizes.

It's like I'm the only person who knows how to run a Sweepstake

Glad to see Messi and Argentina win.

Thankfully the real football is back now, off to Manchester City vs Liverpool in the League Cup on Thursday.

What a brilliant World Cup Final that was, certainly the best I have ever watched and surely one of, if not the best, of all time. Pleased for Argentina and Messi. Until recently I had always just leaned on the Ronaldo side of the Messi vs. Ronaldo debate but I think all the events of the past 12 months show that Messi is the greatest of this modern era.

Despite having no excitement for the World Cup beforehand I must also admit that I ended up really enjoying it. Some fantastic matches, especially some of those final group games.

I didn't actually watch any of the World Cup this year, other than random bits that happened to be on the TV. I did try to keep track of what was going on, though. I've never agreed with the decision to host the tournament in Qatar for a multitude of reasons, namely that the bidding process seemed quite dodgy, and also the human rights abuses going on in the country.

Having said that, I'm glad Argentina won, and Messi now has the World Cup trophy he so clearly deserves.